Click for Delta Click for Mulder Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Burger Click for Perko

Idle chat: wings, waves, wheels…

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by Norseman, Jun 3, 2023.

1. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

The floor problem was taken care off, after a bit of noise.

I do question the quality and workmanship, I didn’t pay any less than full price, is it asking too much for somebody to do their job to a reasonable high standard?
    We had plenty work done on numerous properties in Fort Lauderdale, didn’t see this kind of sloppiness there.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

This is a great example.
    Floor should have been rite the first time.
    Everybody and their cousin saw it, knew it was messed up, steeped over it and they failed to fix it before your inspection.
    You still had to make a bit of noise to get it fixed.

And you took their recommendations, for their partner in grimes to build your pool.

Full price is such a speculative phrase. In comparison to other bids or quotes i??

There are cons, shysters and thieves in S FL. Your luck or maybe some research on your part kept them away.
    Hard to do any research in your new hood. You don't know anybody there that can tell any truths or know better themselves.
    I feel the realtor and contractors were in line waiting for you.
    Please don't consider this local circus as a norm and that quality is not around.
    Quality is around, just not in that circus.
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2023
  3. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

The pool contract was signed August 2022, long before we had any floor or other problems.

As in trying to negotiate a discount on the pool build, or ask them to cut corners to get the price down.

No realtors and we didn’t deal with contractors: We bought the lot from a developer, then a year later signed a contract with a well know Lakeland builder
    to construct a custom home.
    The builder had bad luck with local contractors, tile work has been less than stellar, they are now re-doing one of the bathrooms for the third time. The builder is as frustrated with the contractors as we are. (Painters, tilers, landscapers, etc.)
    The electric and plumbing work has been good.
    Get out of jail, buy a hammer, now you are a contractor..:rolleyes:

Everything should be sorted out, sooner or later, I just happen to be picky and impatient.
    We are not the only ones in this development with problems, every neighbor have some build and quality problems, some more than others.
    The worst case was a brand new house on my street that had to be demolished completely. The surveyor had made a 2 foot error and the City inspector told the builder to destroy they house, then build the next one in right place. A $500k error, but the surveyor had insurance for little boo-boo’s like that.:D
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Then please let me re-phrase one line;
    I feel the developer and contractors were in line waiting for you.

Your examples above just re-enforce my points.
    There is no quality in that circus.
  5. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Not sure what point you are making in developer and contractors were in line waiting for me? Is it somehow my fault that some of this contractors can’t do quality work?
    None of the builders or pool contractors are solely working in this development , they are all over North Florida, hence my question in reference to the video: Why can’t they make a straight caulk line? :confused:
    Hopefully they will put it straight without giving me attitude. (Pun intended)
    This kind of work is horse manure regardless of where in the country you are.
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

My point;
  7. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

I get some good ones, but being new in the area I have to kiss a few frogs before I find a quality work.

Not just this neighborhood, we bought another house in nearby Grand Haven recently, in case we didn’t like the house we are building, I hired a painter and a handyman to do a few jobs on that house: Fired them both after a day and did the work myself, better and cheaper.
    In the newly built house I can’t fire the sub-contractors because they work for the builder, but I can still complain that work is shoddy and request another sub to come and do it right. This is rather the long way around, and expensive, it would have been much better to do it right in the first place…
    No idea why they can’t use a tape measure, a level and masking tape in the first place.
    Have found an excellent fence guy that does other jobs, he is a keeper, and others like the electrician, but the frustrating part is people like the caulk guy doing the pool yesterday, either he is blind or been smoking crack before he started.
    Is it asking too much to get quality work around here?
    Guess it is.:(
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Who hires these subs?
    If the builders had any level of quality or backbone, they would not have poor preforming subs from the beginning.
    Just less cash for them. Now warranty work is eating their cash. Go Figure..

There is a higher level of labor available. These are the many I'm trying to defend from your comments and issues.
    Many, many quality construction workers are out there swinging every day,,, just not in your hood.
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

During the 70s, strings with bubble levels were run all over the pool site. Covering the hole many times.
    Always a surveyors scope near by. No excuses on any one spot not in plumb.
    Now days, a rotating laser level (or two) never leaves the pool site during the day.
    You see any of this around during your construction?

I could be worse. I've witnessed whole pools float up out of the ground.

Your next pool, call me. I'll find your next pool company (or home builder).
    If you don't call, please remember, always use tile caps at the deck coping / coaming.
  10. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

You should be the Builder’s consultant, they could use that kind of info, Duh..
    (This is not rocket science, the builders are painfully aware of all that, but there seem to be a rather shallow talent pool around here, yet you say quality is available, but not for me)
    I paid full price for a quality house and a quality pool but the delivery of such quality is lacking. Must be something in the water, or is it my fault? :rolleyes:

Thanks, but not planning on a next pool or a next builder.
    I had no idea building would be this painful, I was clueless, my bad I Guess.
    Had custom ordered boats and vehicles in the past, very much a pleasant experience as I didn’t have to babysit the workers in the factories and if there was a problem, the Dealers took care of it smoothed things over.

As for the pool and the lack of straight caulk lines: I can do it myself or hire expertise to do it, life is too short to look at this garbage level of workmanship every day I jump in the pool.

This is my other house, the back-up, I may be selling it in a few months, it is not close to any yacht harbor, but in a gated Golf Community for those who want to hit little white balls across green grass.
    Discount to Yachtforums members except Capt. Ralph because he is always a disputatious contrarian. :cool:

IMG_6862.jpeg
  11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Quoting one of my leads;
    I resemble that remark.
  12. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

If the truth hurts, it should..
    Sorry Bro but you are barking up the wrong tree: Not my fault the local contractors are incompetent, really.o_O
  13. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

My wife started an similar grope (before me). As an electrical estimator and HVAC company owner, she tried to help local companies stay in better form with the BBB.
    Then the politicians got involved. They felt the BBB was good enough and did not need any independent help. HA

Quality is available for those who pay for it. Please re-read post #108.

Again, Full price is a speculative phrase. In compared to what?
    Brother, you were bent over, when the lube wears off, you gain your breath back, look at all from a far;;; you got and are continuing getting F****d.
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2023
  14. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Naw, The truth helps me feel better.
    I'm not happy that your getting f****d.
  15. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Then please don't dump on the other fine contractors in North Florida that are not bending you over.
  16. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Hey Brother Norse
    All settled down yet?
    Moved in a staying dry and warm?

Was cruising the web and found this.
    Quickly thought of the kids who built your house.
    IMG_5511.jpg
  17. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Staying warm for sure, but not settled in: The floor has to be replaced starting February first: The builder and floor contractors are paying for it, including a hotel room for us and now pointing fingers at each other.
    Same with trim and paint, the contractors have to come back and correct their own mistakes.
    (it would have been so much cheaper and easier for everyone to do it right in the first place, but nobody thought of that initially :rolleyes:)

Enough of that, not my problem really, the builders who are new in town are slowly firing the bad contractors and discovering new and better quality people.

Enjoying my Dry January and my liver thanks me, anybody else doing it? :cool:
  18. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Dry month?? No Hooch??
    Blasphemy..
  19. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Yeah, been doing it the last 5-6 years, feels good and I get stuff done.
    (Finished the 2023 tax preparations already)

Also shut down Odin Charters 12-31-2023, no marked for UPV Sightseeing trips around, strictly recreational now.

Looking forward to February 1st, that first beer will taste good.:cool:
  20. JWY

JWY Senior Member

"Also shut down Odin Charters"

:-(

Thanks for being helpful and available whenever I called on you.