Click for Westport Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Delta

Idle chat: wings, waves, wheels…

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by Norseman, Jun 3, 2023.

1. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

My bud has a new BMW, luvs it.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

But ya know, your in the land of the newly wed and nearly dead.
    Both of witch are blind to bikers.

Yes, when I was young, dumb and full of stuff, I rode. I luved trials and touring.
    I rotated motor bikes often and usually 2 always in my front yard.
    But during the 70's, strange folk were out to kill me.
    Well, I'm not young anymore.

I stopped driving a motor when I started driving a wrecker.
    Back then, TOL wrecker drivers had to clean up most the mess including what was left, of what ever it was, sometimes still with 2 wheels.
    Still broke; Started tinkering on boats.

Motor and chauffeur endorsements are long gone from my DL.
    Wife still has here motor endorsement on her DL

Now, I drive 3/4t Suburbans and strange folk are still trying to kill me.
    Florida has a thing about track mark and gouges in their roads and highways or I would be driving a tank or half-track when I venture out.
    Just as well, tracked vehicles don't go fast enough on the interstate highways for me.

You straddle onboard a motor, please be careful. Your mortality odds just increased.
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2023
  3. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Yup, I am aware of the dangers and have lost a few friends and colleagues in Florida from just that: Being run down by a car or truck, in some cases a little old lady with dementia and bad eyesight, or a drunk/high driver.
    I rode bikes for years, Hondas and Harleys in my teen's 20's and 30's.
    Getting occasional (late) midlife crises and this Teutonic scooter caught my eye.
    It will probably be smarter to blow up the picture to life-size, then tape it to the inside of my garage wall.
    Or maybe if I only ride on Sundays, in bright daylight...Nah, maybe not.o_O
  4. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

I had one of the first BMW K1600B to come off the line in 2017. My first ride was from South Florida to Tennessee and back over a long weekend (first oil change the 2nd day of ownership outside Atlanta). Great bike, but I sold it after too many close calls and the death of a friend on a bike. I still have a MotoGuzzi but rarely ride it. Now I'm more of a Bronco and Golf Cart rider.
  5. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Yeah, I have also chalked up a bunch of close calls over the years and burned all
    my 9 lives.
    Need to slow down and become an old man rather than powder in an urn on wifey's mantel.
    Nice looking bike though..:D
  6. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

You know what they call motorcycle riders in Florida? ......... Donor's..,.:D
    YachtForums and Capt Ralph like this.
  7. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

On the other hand:

Torn..
    Should I, or shouldn't I?
    :cool:
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

How do I type this not to hurt your feelings;

NO

Luv ya brother. Lost to many these last 2 years.

Don't need to read about another grease spot.
    I cleaned up enough years ago.
    Drive over to many grease spots today.

Oh, my bud with his new BMW motor, Owned it 6 months. Has maybe 300 miles.
    My knees are in bad enough shape.
    They get bent that extra, every time he rides.
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2023
  9. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Nah, you can't hurt my feelings, but appreciate the consideration.

Probably not safe to get a big bike, wife would kill me if I did..
  10. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

A buddy just bought a BMW R1250RT and put it inside my storage unit for the past 3 months while prepping it to be shipped to Colorado for the summer. He's got an epic trip planned: Denver to Jackson Hole, then Yellowstone to Bozeman and finally Missoula to Kalispell, MT and across to lake Coeur d'Alene, Idaho. I would be Down To Ride out west but not on the east coast. My No Fear sticker expired a few years ago and I don't like the taste of hospital food! Would love to ride the Rockies but would choose a bike with a larger dealer network than BMW offers.

I had a chance to ride the R1250, but not very far. After a couple miles I knew the bike was not for me. I tend to favor Lazy Boy riding positions, not the saddle of Secretariat. I've had a Honda VTX-1800 for the past 21 years. I sold it earlier this year because I never rode it. The bike had 9,000 miles and although I still liked the bike, the risk outweighed the reward. Here's my bike pulled out of the storage unit where it's resided for the past 15 years, which is likely the reason I'm still alive.

Attached Files:

11. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Yup, I know the feeling.
    My Man Card is getting rusty these days, almost expired.. IMG_1261.jpeg

On on the other hand, I am here goofing off and laying around in the morning doing nothing but scratching myself after breakfast and before coffee.
    Tempting to keep it up, but the siren song of a big fat motor cycle won't leave my lizard brain. :cool:

Having lived a life full of action flying, diving, sailing, riding and all of the above for 50 years it is almost dull doing nothing.
    I rode a Honda FT 500 bike to work in St. Thomas while living on a sailboat and flying airplanes between the islands.
    When some of locals saw a white boy on a motor cycle, they tried to run him down.
    (That would be me)
    My boss at Virgin Air said everyone of his pilots riding bikes in St. Thomas ended up in the hospital. I survived, but several locals tried, pure luck and quick reflexes back then kept me alive.
    This was the bike:
    IMG_0390.jpeg
  12. boatpoor

boatpoor Active Member

I've covered most of the lower 48 and a few Canadian provinces on an old Harley and I have to say my home state of Florida is the most dangerous. A couple of buddies left this morning for Alaska. A trip I helped plan and was supposed to be on but I have a granddaughter scheduled to arrive the end of July so I had to back out.
  13. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Bingo, you confirmed what I have felt over the years, nutty driving and no enforcement:
    Most people find it too bothersome to use turn signals: I can't figure out why, but
    I hesitate to buy a motorbike and use it in Florida traffic for the reasons of no discipline or common sense among fellow drivers, it takes only one to kill you.:confused:
    Will keep buzzing up and down the ICW in my SH 234 Ultra instead, safe and sound..
    IMG_4875.jpeg
  14. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

I've thought about getting a bike most of my adult life... every time I pass a BMW GS I mumble "there's my bike"... but I can't bring myself to get one. It's just not a level of risk I'm willing to take. :confused: People are too stupid.

I think there are interesting alternatives to satisfy the thirst for open-air motoring though. You've got the bike-derived Campagna T-Rex, the wild almost-a-formula-car Ariel Atom, or even the DIY Exocet. (My kid and I have a look at the Exo every few months, trying to convince ourselves to get into that project. :D He's a bit Miata-mad... has taken his own apart and put it back together twice already, knows his way around the NA/NB chassis quite handily.)
  15. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

I am also aware of the 3-wheelers and I see them buzz around, mostly on Sundays.
    Not my cup of tea, not sure why, but they doesn't do anything for me.
    Agree on the risk of riding two-wheelers in traffic, just not worth it anymore, the bones are brittle and the brain smarter, I guess..:cool:
    Maybe a nice convertible performance car would do the trick.
    Or get a small open cockpit airplane. (If it flies, floats, etc., rent it, don't buy it)
    Decisions, decisions..
    FlyingGolfer likes this.
  16. YachtForums

Dag, if you're up in the Palm Coast area now, you're not far away from an orientation flight with Patty Wagstaff. She's located in St. Augustine. A girl that will truly turn your world upside down. Been on my bucket list forever...

Attached Files:

17. YachtForums

Or you could just fly with your feet on the ground, like me...

Attached Files:

18. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Yeah, I am sure she would turn me and my world upside down, but nah, been there, done that: While in flight school some years ago I did an aerobatic course with Bill Keshner in a C-150 Aerobat. It was ok and I kept my lunch every day.
    Also did a lesson with another stunt pilot in a Super Decathlon, +6/-5g's.
    It was fun, but not my cup of tea, enjoyed flying bush in a Alaska instead on dirt strips and river sandbars/beaches for the Dept. of Fish and Game as well as regular rural air-taxi, fish-haul and similar in tail draggers.
    Just like big bikes, that stuff is now too risky for my appetite, just looking to rent a Piper Cub or a C-180 and fly a few hours now and then.
    Patty Wagstaff would be "Hold On Tight and don't touch anything".:D

Being bored on my old days is a luxury problem and easy to solve if I get the itch, but trying to behave and read a book in the shade under a palm tree and similar low octane activities.
    Thanks though.:cool:
  19. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Really?
    Five Fat outboards on a 67'..
    What was wrong with 2 diesels way down in the bilge, stability included, and 7-8,000 hours longevity instead of 2,000-3,000 hours max for a gas outboard.?
    Five motors, X how many spark-plugs, injectors, fuel and oil filters, impellers and internal zincs?

Like having 5 wifes, not a good idea although it could be fun in the beginning, for a few short days.:confused:

IMG_6477.jpeg
  20. YachtForums

Can't argue with the logic, Dag. Less is more!
    wwch likes this.