Click for Nordhavn Click for Westport Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Glendinning Click for YF Listing Service

How far can I make it?

Discussion in 'Yacht Crews' started by Buck2.0.0, Oct 26, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CaptPKilbride

CaptPKilbride Senior Member

Buck,
    I think you have the beginnings of a good plan. Olderboater mentioned Cal Maritime in reference to your "SF" comment, can you clarify? SF could be San Francisco, or South Florida. South Florida might fit with your mention of getting cert from Chapman's school.

Chapman's school does have a good reputation, I have met one or two mariners starting out who said that it was a good place for them to immerse themselves in learning the trade. Just curious what your timetable is in your planning? I think you said you are in NY. You can get some of this training knocked out at SUNY Maritime in the Bronx, if you aren't ready to make he move down south just yet.

http://www.sunymaritime.edu/Academics/Continuing Education/BasicSafetyTraining

Olderboater has given some great advice here. It's all about attitude. Landing the first job takes luck, being in the right place at the right time. What you are able to do with that opportunity is up to you. It is obvious you "have the bug", as I call it, I have had it from a young age ... as I am sure most members here do as well ... we just plain love boats, boating, yachting ...

I echo Ranger42c's sentiment, I would like to see some more feedback from you. Let us know your thoughts on what advice and information has been given so far.

You should also start learning about what is needed to earn your first professional credentials. There is a wealth of information on the USCG website on how to get started. You will be looking at obtaining a TWIC (Transportation Worker Identification Credential), getting an USCG Medical Certificate that requires a physical, and a Merchant Mariner Credential.

https://www.uscg.mil/nmc/about_us/brochures/MMC_brochure.pdf