Click for Burger Click for Abeking Click for Mag Bay Click for Abeking Click for Ocean Alexander

Help me start my 2x 1100HP engines!

Discussion in 'Engines' started by dix4life, Jan 8, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Thru the generosity of a friend, I just viewed the pictures.
    How much are they going to pay you to take it away?
    K1W1 likes this.
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

As the OP doesn't seem willing nor able to share much of worth in this instance I think some good advice has been given and should be noted.
  3. mapism

mapism Senior Member

By and large I agree that even assuming to get the boat FoC, she would hardly ever be worth the huge amount of work and money required to bring her back to decent conditions.
    But FWIW, I just noticed a video made entering the e/r, according to which my previous idea that the cockpit extension might have been an afterthought was wrong.
    In fact, the engines are right under the raised part of the cockpit, and they spin straight shafts, so the boat was clearly designed like that from the start.
    Pity that she was left to deteriorate so badly, but if by chance the OP is going to get her, I for one would be interested to hear about the restoration job - which is going to be demanding to say the very least!
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I would like to hear more on the restoration job also.
  5. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

I suspect the OP is long gone,
  6. dix4life

dix4life New Member

Hello again,

It is indeed this ship you are talking about. Thank you for all the reply's.

As reply to if the ship is original, I supose so because if I google there seems to be more with the long end. This is what I like a lot about the ship. Also the engine is in the back so the shafts are located correctly I supose. The back has a lot of water problems, the cabins are in good condition!

Our plan, is / was, to buy the boat, make it ready to sail, go to spain, and refit the complete boat. We wanted to make the body of the ship silver / gray mettalic and the top white. The interioir needs some modern touches as well, new captain tools etc. We want to do this in Spain because everything is a lot cheaper so we can make the boat as new for less.

This whole plan we want to vlog from the start. From buy to finish. After completing everything we want to go with the ship to Ibiza and formentera every holiday season to do some chartering and relaxing. The ship will be in Valencia were we dock the ship to make it a floating appartment for us. We have a house nearby!

The project seems do-able. It will take a lot of work and money of course but still worth it I believe, if you look at ships this size in perfect conditions compare to the price. Besides this, now we can make everything our own!

To me this looks like a great adventure :)
  7. mapism

mapism Senior Member

If it's a great adventure you're looking for, it's easy to predict that you won't be disappointed!
    Looking forward to help as much as possible from my armchair and keyboard... :)
    Or possibly also in person, if you are based in Valencia?
    By sheer coincidence, I will spend a couple of weeks there in March, before and up to the Las Fallas.
    If you will be around, I'm always happy to buy a beer to anyone who has the guts to embark in a project like this!

Just as a first thought, did you consider loading the boat on a ship to bring her to Spain, rather than fix her in the UK before moving on her own bottom?
    I am suggesting this because I suspect you should invest a helluva time/work/money just to make her seaworthy and reliable.
    Which would be essential, because as I'm sure you know it's a looong way from Brighton to Valencia.
    Not to mention that Biscay crossing can be anywhere from tough (if you're lucky) to downright dangerous (if you aren't).

Sure, it would cost quite a bit to transport the boat by ship.
    But aside from allowing you to do the whole restoration in a place you are more familiar with, and save yourself all the risks of a challenging route with a new to you (and somewhat untested) boat, it's not like bringing the boat to Valencia on her own bottom would cost nothing.
    If you keep into account fuel, marinas, and possibly some professional crew (depending on your experience and how many other persons you are thinking to travel with), the ship transport becomes more attractive...
    Anyway, just a thought. All the very best anyhow!

PS: yes, indeed I already noticed (see post #23) that my initial doubt about the boat being originally built without the cockpit extension was wrong.
    The engine room video clearly showing the engines position and their straight shafts proves beyond any reasonable doubt that the extended cockpit was NOT an afterthought.
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2023
  8. dix4life

dix4life New Member

haha yes it will be an adventure for sure. Looking forward to all the help from your armchairs haha.

It's not our first project. I have previously bought and refurbished an old commercial building, new roofs, new window frames, new windows, floors, insulation, completely electric without gas, solar panels, electric underfloor heating.. Basically everything!

We also bought a kind of abandoned house in Calpe (Spain) and completely renovated it into a luxury holiday home!

I used to take apart cars and scooters down to the last screw when I was a bit younger (now 36)

This is a wonderful new project. However, I am new to the boat world. I have all the boating licenses I need but am no further than sailing a small boat on the sea... I'm used to a lot but I'm not quite sure yet if I'm going to take on this project. Perhaps it is wise to buy a project house instead. It seems more easy, but I love the sea and would like to live and travel more by boat.

I have indeed thought about towing the boat, moving it on land or loading it on another ship. However, paying the 50,000 Euro (estimation) diesel for a beautiful trip along the European coast and making a nice trip out of it seemed to me to be the best value for our money! Definitely a lot more fun.

I lived in valencia for 2 years and then 3 years just next to Valencia. Fallas is great! I come from the Netherlands myself and have a house and businesses there. I will be in Spain February and march but only in Valencia during fallas ;-)
  9. mapism

mapism Senior Member

I never heard of anyone towing a boat of that size for such a long way.
    And considering the inevitable speed restriction, also the weather window required (particularly for Biscay crossing) would be longer...
    But if someone would tell you it's feasible, I'd be interested to hear more, just out of curiosity.

Ref. land transport instead, I'm 99% sure it would NOT be feasible at that size.
    But again, happy to learn something new if you would find any transport company willing to handle it.

If you will fancy that beer (or sangria, whatever!) when you will be in Valencia, just drop me a pm.
    But please, don't mention again "when I was younger" now that you specified you are 36yo.
    Some of us could fall into a deep depression...! :confused:
  10. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

There is a huge difference between restoring cars or buildings vs getting a boat ready and reliable enough to cross from the UK to Spain. The Bay of Biscay isn’t something you want to under estimate.

Haven’t seen the specs on the boat but it running the Canal des Deux Mers from the Atlantic to the med an option?
  11. Fiammetta42

Fiammetta42 Member

1- You need to hand turn it first .
    2- As MapishM said it’s a 32 mm socket .Use a 1 m long or as long as you can fit bar .I use a square box section bar which slips over the tool socket 10 inch handle .
    3- remove the valve covers ( 14 mm socket )

4- use the front main crank pulley ( actually it’s damper ) to turn it .

Maybe a two man job ….one turns other watches carefully the rockers move and valves descend /ascend .Get the firing order from the manual or internet .

Obviously school the turning guy about feeling an obstruction.

If it’s pretty much ceased or feels stubborn, then consider removing the injectors .Two reasons .
    1- pour a 50/50 solution of diesel and auto transmission oil in the pots .Better still try and spray it in .Leave 24 / 48 / 72 hrs intervals and try turning again and re lubrication.It will free up ……with time if the rings have rusted to the cylinder walls .
    That’s the main issue , your gotcha if you connect a new battery bank and just attempt to fire it up the stuck rings will fracture and then you are into a rebuild / cylinder strip down .

1- while the injectors are out have them sent away tested and tips if necessary replaced .

Obviously it needs fresh fluids , filters and water pump impeller.Assuming it fires and runs .
    E1F91186-C9B9-43A0-9B7E-37A3999E7DDC.jpeg
    The socket and it’s bar extension. ( on the seat back )

F7B477FD-4456-45D8-8689-9EBFA9BE2801.jpeg
    On the main crank pulley , note enough bulkhead clearance and only a 1/4 o clock space to move it but it’s a ratchet anyhow .

44A707B5-C65A-4706-8ADE-32D8F3A577B9.jpeg

Valve cover off .You can reuse the gasket btw .Not ideal but do able .

87284A3B-FC97-49AD-993A-3387A3076C49.jpeg

Get the firing order or the valve adjustment rocker method sequence and carefully watch them fall/ rise and your mate ratchets the crank pulley.
    This area will be bone dry in a eat your dinner off it hygiene if it’s not been run for years .The oil runs down .

If it’s not been run for a while and you do free it up and it appears all that should move is moving in the right way , you can still get a sticky valve. One due to corrosion of the valve seal or valve bevel does not quite get a proper gas tight seal the engine will tick .Tick , tick tick or if the gap is large bang bang bang .A gentle warm up ( do your gen service first ) and run and they re seal as the crap burns off , but gently gently .Don’t go out of the marina and pin the levers .

As for the “great adventure” no comment .
  12. Fiammetta42

Fiammetta42 Member

Credit to MapishM he’s the one ( another forum ) who told me it was possible to bar a big diesel.I was thinking 16 to 1 compression ratio etc etc .But it’s a diesel designed to run at ridiculously hight internal cylinder temps / pressures.As such when cold the rings are loose , so loose air escapes through the ring set easily = it turns easily.
    When running as all metals expand with heat the rings expand = seal properly.
    I did my valve gaps/ tappets or in American auto speak “ valve lash “ .
  13. dix4life

dix4life New Member

we have decided not to buy this boat. We will look for a boat that is in better condition. Thank you for all the information, this helped us a lot with our decision!
  14. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Wise choice.
    With used boats, there's no such thing as a great opportunity lost.
    There are only other opportunities out there that you are still unaware of!
    Good luck.
    Capt Ralph and bayoubud like this.
  15. VetteLT193

VetteLT193 New Member

16. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

17. VetteLT193

VetteLT193 New Member

That is the one. The coast gaurd rescued 2 adults and a dog.
  18. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Short lived at that.

Glad the Darwin candidates and puppy are safe.
  19. VetteLT193

VetteLT193 New Member

:D hahhahahahahaha. There is no shortage of people that don't know how complicated boats are and how life threatening something small can be... And it gets exponentially more complicated with size
  20. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

The big question....did the OP of this thread really walk away...or did he just tell us that?