Click for Abeking Click for JetForums Click for Burger Click for Furuno Click for Delta

Help in choosing the right size Carver

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by timbuk2, Mar 19, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Chartering a boat in that range will tell you if you possibly can, but not if you definitely can.

Part of living in that space in simplifying/minimizing. When you charter you'll have a week or two worth of clothing and items. If it's too small with that you'll know you need bigger. However, you need to picture what you'd need and where it would go. Could my wife and I live on a 48' boat? Yes. Would we want to? No. Would it require a huge change to what we own and keep? Yes. However, I can say this. If that's what it took for us to be on the water, we'd toss all we needed to. Between home and boat, we have a lot of extra space and guess what, we do a great job of filling it.

Same with roughness. Take some rough water, even if you have to make it yourself by circling.
  2. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

What your wife said.....My wife is all for "selling everything" and living aboard a nice boat in a warm climate. Her main concern is a boat's "livability" factor. Plenty of living space, sleeping space, cooking space, etc

Repeat that twenty times before buying and making an offer......large closet space...etc....
  3. timbuk2

timbuk2 New Member

Thanks olderboater. Will definitely charter different size boats before making such a big decision.
  4. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

We chartered a lot, fell in love with some, not quite as much with others, and there were other boats that were really great boats but just not for us. It's not about getting the best boat, it's all about getting the best one for you. Things like putting a bunch of clothes away, storing a week or two worth of food, actually using the galley, sitting around in the evening relaxing. With everything you do on the boat, you'll get a little bit better feel to add knowledge to your decision making.

I can't help it, but approached it with spreadsheets and like I would a business deal. But what was most helpful from that was my wife and I listed things three ways. 1-Things we liked. 2-Things we weren't that fond of but weren't deal breakers. 3-Deal Breakers.
  5. timbuk2

timbuk2 New Member

Very sound advice. Not necessarily buying the biggest or most expensive boat we can afford, but the one that fits our needs the best. We love to cook, so a fairly large galley and food storage area would be nice. I can get by on a few pairs of shorts and t-shirts. My wife on the other hand would need a decent amount of closet space!
  6. Ford Grimshaw

Ford Grimshaw New Member

I live on a Carver 466 2004. Wonderfull ,roomy boat to live on and cruise. It is my 10th year as a owner and life is good . I have cruised the Great Lakes and hope to be in Florida soon. My mate and I can handle it alone safely
  7. Mccoy38

Mccoy38 New Member

My parents have the 53' Pilothouse with Cummins C8.3's. One of the best marine engines Cummins made in that HP range and mechanical, no ECM's. Some say 450HP each under powers this boat but I disagree, it planes at 19-20mph and is all you want on this boat. They offer it with 700 Volvo's as well, but make sure you can find someone to service those where you will be, This is why people stay with Cummins over Mann, Volvo, You cant find any techs when needed but you can with Cat and Cummins.

It is a great boat to spend a lot of time on. This is in fresh water, not ocean boating. When it is just them they manage weeks at a time with no fuss. My wife and I, come for three days at a time, have own bath and bedroom etc. This is a big boat for two people and handles well, rear camera is a must. The 57 is a larger version that also comes with larger beam, so I would go with that if I had a choice but they are very similar inside, the 57 has larger outdoor areas. If I were going to be on the Gulf or ocean and live aboard, I would personally think a 45-48' would be pushing it a little unless just tooling around on exceptional sea conditions, especially on with the beam size, I am afraid you will be trading up in two seasons, better to go 10 feet over what you think, get on them and compare them. I have a 38' now moving up from a 28' and it has already shrunk on me in two seasons. I'm already looking at 42-45',

I wish my wife thought like yours! Good luck.
  8. timbuk2

timbuk2 New Member

The 466 is definitely a consideration. Thanks for your input.
  9. timbuk2

timbuk2 New Member

Thanks for your advice. Very good points on the engine selection. Never know where you'll be if emergency service is needed. I also agree on the larger boat, especially if logging more open ocean time. I think the 46'-48' range would be just fine for coast cruising and occasional offshore use. Hope my wife still feels the same when the time comes!
  10. Mccoy38

Mccoy38 New Member

The 444 Carver is a great lay out as well, Easy to board with open aft and two covered bridge areas, and great interior layout imo. This is my "One day" boat. Meridian also makes same style boat but a few years newer than when the Carver was offered.
  11. Worthyvess

Worthyvess Member

South shore long island and fort lauderdale
    Great wise advice as usual NYCAP.