Click for Furuno Click for Nordhavn Click for Nordhavn Click for Cross Click for Mulder

Have you seen TIME?

Discussion in 'Palmer Johnson Yacht' started by CaptTom, May 9, 2007.

1. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

Pricing a bit optimistic and I don't know if those design changes are in the original designs spirit. Regardless, I had never seen a 16v149, they are HUGE! The blower alone is about four times the size of a standard 92 series blower.
  2. jetboatcap

jetboatcap New Member

That is indeed the "Time"

In spite of some discrepancies in each of those articles, that is the boat everyone here thinks it is. The advertised asking purchase price seems to be at odds with the recent eyewitness accounts of her appearance.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the re-power in 1991 saw 16 cylinder engines installed. I am willing to bet that they are still the same, and not 12's. The Time had barely enough power with 16's, so going down to 12's would have been a huge mistake. IMHO, the original MTU's were clearly the wrong model for that boat. The original owner should have had the 16 cylinder models of the 396-TB94's installed, instead of the 12's that he eventually decided on.

Those gen-sets were always problematic, due to the unnecessarily high electrical power output, and that particular model of Cummins engine. There were no liners, and there was typically way too much available power, versus load demand, which resulted in a lot of premature ring failure and subsequent "blow-by", due to the egg-shaping of the cylinder walls. I had done extensive investigation, years ago, to find a solution, including the possible installation of air-cooled, variable load banks. There were not many choices back then. Now, water-cooled load banks are available. A new set of lower output Northern Lights would be an even better idea.

The interior photos surprisingly don't look too bad. That's the original carpet in the aft starboard guest stateroom. That old white arm-chair in the master is Mr. Atwood's original personal chair from the main salon. The dining salon and galley look comparatively original. The all-white exterior really makes her look taller and bigger. I have mixed feelings about it though.

Good to see that someone is finally doing something good for this old girl.
  3. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

The interior photos are obviously old file photos. I read somewhere that the partially built 147' PJ that was to replace this boat was cut up for scrap. Another interesting bit of trivia, when she appeared at the Ftl show in '87, she was the largest yacht on display.