Click for Westport Click for MotorCheck Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service

Hatteras 90, 100, versus Westport 112 advice needed

Discussion in 'Westport Yacht' started by FlyingGolfer, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Boat Harbor?? Ouch.
    In the basin maybe. Getting to / from you will polish your wheels if not take some diameter off. Coming in from the north end of Eliot Cay, the usual sport fisher knows to keep the plane up till the rocks.
    That bar from the south keeps moving north. Soon the S/E winds and currents will close Boat Harbor off.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Charter, charter, charter. There is also nothing wrong with buying a used yacht, you can save a lot of depreciation and wait time.
  3. FlyingGolfer

FlyingGolfer Member

charter is under consideration, thanks. So many good informed opinions, what a pleasure to be here!
  4. FlyingGolfer

FlyingGolfer Member

I will look more closely at charter, especially while learning about what is, for us, a new world of boating.
    Question: I was planning on a new boat to avoid a used one with wear and tear on gearing, lines, hoses, stabilizers, etc, as well as wanting the newest navigational electronics. Are used yachts the better way because boats are maintained very well?
  5. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

You'll get most here probably saying to buy used since they depreciate so much initially. We prefer new. All a matter of personal preference. Do you buy new or used cars?
  6. captholli

captholli Senior Member

My past experience working for a couple of very savvy owners would be the what they referred to as the magical "W curve"
    or vessels just coming off or just past their warranty periods. Every new boat will have bugs and issues to work out and some have more warranty issues than others. Crew will produce punch lists and work with the manufacturers and rectify these issues for the first year of warranty along with the additions that were either to expensive to make as change orders or just plain forgotten when in build. Items such as storage shelves in the lazz. or thruster compartments. Glass and china dividers etc. boson lockers and deck storage. Mostly small items but time consuming items and the nuances that make life easier aboard for owners and crew alike. These two owners that I refer to would always look for vessels in the category they were interested in at the top of or just coming off of their warranty periods "de-bugged" where the paint was fresh and the machinery had low hours.
  7. FlyingGolfer

FlyingGolfer Member

Great answers, thanks. Obviously we will need a very good captain helping us through this buying/debugging process.
  8. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

At the risk of making a generalization, new boat bugs on production oriented builds tend to be minimal compared to custom builds. The engineering and machinery on Westport's line is fairly constant throughout the range. They've built a good number of each of their models and no doubt they have the boat building art down to a science. It is mostly soft goods that change on these builds.
  9. FlyingGolfer

FlyingGolfer Member

I bet a new 112 would have fewer bugs to work out because it has been manufactured for so many years. Am I wrong?
  10. YachtForums

Very reasonable assumption however each new build gets the latest in electronics and gear, which is where some issues can stem from. The boats and molds don't change and the construction techniques remain fairly constant, other than incorporating the latest in resins or materials. After sale service and warranty is an important consideration. I think you'd find the service with Westport to be exceptional.
  11. captholli

captholli Senior Member

This is like saying Ford or GM doesn't have many warranty issues because they produce quantities of the same vehicles. I agree that Westport has excellent warranty service but I'll also add that Westport is known as a Ace Hardware builder as a lot of their fittings and ancillary equipment could be found in an Ace Hardware store or a Grainger's catalog and the quality and intended uses of these fittings aren't up to a higher grade of marine standards.
    Westport doesn't warranty MTU nor Northern lights as they didn't produce them but these systems are part of the overall warranty de bugging as well. Westport has been forced to evolve due to MCA rules for commercial classification materials and fitting wise and for a long time the flag states were granting dispositions to these vessels attempting to have them meet the commercial requirements for charter service. If I'm not mistaken , the first MCA compliant Westport coming from the factory was delivered in 2010.
  12. YachtForums

Westport is known as an Ace Hardware builder? I've never heard this before, but if you're comparing custom builds that cost twice as much, then yes... some hardware may be more robust. Production boat building by its very nature is streamlining efficiency to deliver the best value for dollar... for both customer and company.

Any manufacturer building in quantity will face quality control issues. My point was, when you repeatedly build the same product but continue to refine the manufacturing process, components and systems, chances are you're building a better product.
  13. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Fair enough, agreed.
    Typo of "granting dispositions" should read "granting dispensations"
  14. motoryachtlover

motoryachtlover Senior Member

Longboat Key sent me an email with their new listings. One was a 2007 112’ Westport for sale for 5.995. Whether you buy new or not one can sometimes look at used boat listings with pictures and get a bit of a feel how the boats hold up and how & where they wear. Might be worth you time to look it up.
  15. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

As an owner, Westport delivers a problem free turnkey boat and do it on time. Now, we've also purchased smaller in-stock production boats in the 44-63' range and surveyed them in advance and had no issues. We've ordered a 65' production boat and resolved all issues within 24 hours.

However, we know semi-custom builders whose owners typically spend a year getting them fully sorted and some builders whose quality varies so that they never get sorted.

We have looked very closely at a couple of semi-custom builders in Europe who consistently use the same equipment as Westport does and found their reputation at delivery and in terms of trouble free to be slightly poorer than Westport but still excellent. We've looked at other similar builders however and heard horror stories.

Then a major US production builder who normally delivers turnkey boats, started a new series in the 59-65' range a few years ago and the litany of issues purchasers encountered, even those loving their boats, scared us far away.

While certain methods of building do afford the potential of better delivery, that doesn't mean all builders are the same. That would be my take, to know the builder very well on a new boat. Westport consistently does a good job. Research whoever you're considering carefully.

This is an excellent place to do so. Before we purchased a Westport, we chartered but we also talked in private to several captains here who had extensive experience running them. If you want to talk Hatteras, there's one captain here, and probably more, who runs new ones constantly and a couple of them so much you would have thought he owned them.
  16. FlyingGolfer

FlyingGolfer Member

This is a very nice boat! It could either suffice as our baby or be our interim yacht until our new 112 is completed. I plan to purchase around December if things go well. Cashing out, retiring and changing life's rhythm might present unanticipated obstacles, n'est pas?
    What I don't spend on lifestyle will be spent on charity, so this will be a very interesting rest of our lives, beginning at age 60.
  17. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Charter a 100' Hatteras and a 112' Westport and see if you even enjoy the boating lifestyle and what aspects of it you enjoy. I see half of the people buy a yacht, we travel to unique destinations, then they spend 3/4 of their time sitting on the aft deck or marina bar drinking and bs'ing with each other, and they could be at their home marina and not even know the difference. An interim yacht is a good idea as it gives you time to enjoy yachting, but also to figure out exactly what equipment and layout you want on the yacht you ordered....Start picking out destinations and go.
  18. FlyingGolfer

FlyingGolfer Member

Will do!
  19. FlyingGolfer

FlyingGolfer Member

After digesting all the excellent advice on this site, we will focus on finding a used Westport 112. Especially until we gain some experience aboard her. Thanks to all for your wisdom!
  20. ychtcptn

ychtcptn Senior Member

Westport just took a couple of nice 112's in on trade I think.