Click for Westport Click for Walker Click for Cross Click for Perko Click for YF Listing Service

Hatteras 53 Helm Seat

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade' started by Rick Berry, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Rick Berry

Rick Berry New Member

I'm in the process of refitting my 1972 Hatteras 53 and decided to remove the helm seat. I'm asking 500.00 and you have to help me remove it from the aft deck. I'm located in Sanford Florida at the Boat Tree Marina.

IMG_20201222_122535.jpg IMG_20201222_122717.jpg IMG_20201222_122545.jpg
  2. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Don't do it!! That is a rare find on a 53. You are devaluing your boat if you take it out. It adds huge appeal to your boat. I.M.O.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

None of these seats were original to the boat and they take a huge amount of space.
  4. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

That’s true I have not seen many on the 53‘s but they seem to be a built-in option on the extended deck models.

still seems to be original to me a custom build from Hatteras for the original buyer of the yacht in my opinion.
    Also I have seen some on mid 80s 53 footers. Tiger teak the whole 9 yards sure looks like Hatteras work to me.

but this is why they make chocolate and vanilla to each is own.
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Whether stock or an option IDK but they are original aboard many Hats. They're a great use of space, but unfortunately they scream 1970's & 80's. Maybe a way to market it would be thinking about how it could be repurposed. Possibly as a bar or even donated to a church for a write of to be turned into a pulpit. Hate to see beautiful wood work go to the trash. Unfortunately today everything seems to be white or gray.
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

It does look like it was very well built with matching veneers to the rest of the boat.

many were built to double up as TV cabinet, back when TVs where so big :)
  7. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

You should get it and turn it into a bar on your Hatt!
    Then you can invite all your yacht forum friends to come on over and have a cocktail!!
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

They were factory from the mid/late 70's on. I've seen the same exact ones with a 19" tv/vcr combo on many different Hatteras...... It is a tv cabinet, the sliding doors on the bottom would house the tv.
  9. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

I thought so. So Capt J , as we say here in Phila., that would be an O.G. Helm seat?o_O Anyway sorry to stir the pot on this for sale post, hope the O.P. is not upset. I'm a purist and it goes with the 1970s Hatt you have. It looks like it belongs to the boat. Perhaps put a modern TV in it? An Icemaker? A sound system? Again to each is own. I think it's a beautiful/functional helm seat.