Click for Northern Lights Click for Perko Click for Delta Click for Burger Click for Furuno

Ground to fuel tanks

Discussion in 'Ocean Yacht' started by Kenny's Toy, May 27, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Kenny's Toy

Kenny's Toy New Member

hi I have an 42 ocean ss 1982...I read that the fuel tanks should be grounded , one my tanks the fuel gauge was working but sometime ago it stop working, I tried to run a ground from the neg battery pole to the sender and now it works again.
    I have looked but I can't find a ground wire going to the tank, where is it supposed to be coming from ? and where does it connect to the tank ?
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Fuel tanks should be bonded.
    The term grounded is for use on cars and other things beyond the shore power tower.
    Yes,, grounding on a car is common and all the lights and such can use the sheet metal.
    On a boat, two different theorys.

Bonding and Battery negative may come in contact with the other on a boat but they are different.
    On the fuel tank, the bonding and battery negative may even use the same screw. Later and better fuel tank senders have 2 wires (signal and battery negative).
    Big Rule; Bonding will not be used to carry any voltage (or current).
    Bonding is to keep all exposed metals at the same potential. Example; your deck fuel fill and the tank, this keeps a static spark from zapping the fuel in the fuel fill hose.
    Bonding also diverts stray or fault voltage (current) to the water or dockside green wire ground.
    Negative battery wires return voltage (current) back to the battery.

Run a new wire if needed.
    Last edited: May 27, 2023
  3. Kenny's Toy

Kenny's Toy New Member

aha, there is a bonding wire at the fuel fill, I will follow it see if it goes to the tank or interconnect in any way...thank You .
  4. Yachter55

Yachter55 New Member

I have a 81 55ss and it's on top of the tank next to sender.