Click for Perko Click for JetForums Click for Comfort Click for Mag Bay Click for Abeking

Got a new fridge today, damage to door, getting attitude.

Discussion in 'HVAC' started by Norseman, Mar 18, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Sometimes you do it the way you do because it is satisfying to you, not the fastest not the most convenient but it just how you feel like doing it.
    . If I were doing it for a customer I might use faster tools or more efficient means but if I am doing it for myself, I might just take the time it takes to whittle away at it.

My wife sometimes does things around the house that I don't always understand & when I ask her about it she says it makes her happy. Who am I to judge that ?
  2. mapism

mapism Senior Member

I think it does.
    Not showing a lot of appreciation for our efforts seems to be a common trait of most wives, but next time try to tell her that you are not in the mood to tackle the job and you'd rather call a plumber.
    Works with my wife, who usually would reply along the lines of ..."what if you fix it and I'll reward you with a bottle of Barolo for dinner?". :)
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

How many times in my life I've had to go on auto-pilot and just let me training take over. So I hope you're right. Unfortunately my wife trusts my judgement and if I said that she'd say fine, call the plumber. Then I'd be ticked at myself for wasting the money, she'd be upset with how much it cost and I'd be ticked at the plumber for probably screwing up the job. AND I don't drink wine. lol. (But my wife does appreciate my efforts though.) When I had my bathroom remodeled I did much of the work myself, but hired a plumber to install the vanity and sink cause it involved moving pipes behind the wall and I don't trust myself soldering there. I had to close the wall, and then he told me the sink wouldn't fit and left with me reaming my guy at Lowe's. Then I thought a moment, pulled the vanity less than 1/2" forward and the sink slipped right in. So then I had to apologize to my guy at Lowe's and the plumber had to come back and finish his job for which he charged me for another visit. Needless to say he's on my do not call list and I'm a couple hundred poorer, but the bathroom looks beautiful thanks to the work I did. Yep, calling the guy is not always the best answer.
  4. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Well, mine was of course a generalization, and as such always subject to exceptions.
    But if there's one thing I can confirm you, is that by not trying one of my bottles of Barolo, you are missing something! :cool:
  5. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Yeah, probably $110 per hour, but if somebody with the right tools and expertise from previous fridge installation jobs did this, it would be 3-4 hours max.
    (12 volt cables and circuit breaker was already in place)
    It should really be a plug-n-play job, but the cutting, trimming again and again took time.
    Since I am down in the galley, this is going in next, More cutting and trimming, it does not fit in the old hole, of course not,o_O

F768B6F0-9127-4156-9AB9-57D22418E05F.jpeg
  6. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Uh, not sure if you were responding to me, but rest assured I am not known to
    turn down a bottle of good wine: You are on...:D
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Installing a faucet is easy (done a few), but that rectangular base is weird. Wouldn't it be easier to just get one that fits .
  8. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Agree, but my first choice was out of stock, this one looks pretty slick however, will sweat a bit more to get it in, it is all okay, I need the work, and it keeps m out of the bars. :cool:
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

You know there are other things to keep one out of bars, like GFs. and extra GFs.:rolleyes:
  10. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

GF, Girlfriends?
    Wife won’t let me do that, besides the bars are closed.
    See the dilemma? :confused:
  11. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Yeah, I guess our vice choices are limited these days.
  12. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Yup, if I did the GF thingy, I would be living under a bridge right now.
    Old airline pilot saying, after having divorced the old lady for a brand new flight attendant, and done it over again 10 years later: “Cheaper to Keep Her”.
    I am guilty too, now on wife Nr. III.
    Got a nice cozy life here with my canal homes, boats and booze, not going to rock the boat and get lusty again..:D
  13. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Yeah, I can tell you from experience there are a ton of fire ants under the 595 bridge. (Put my boat there during hurricane Andrew. It beached maybe 20' up from the river from the storm tide and I had to dig a channel by hand before the next one to get it out.) Holy C--p do they hurt.
  14. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

What about the shims and such to level it on the bottom and stern ..lol. Everything takes more time than we think , in general on our beloved boats.
    Plus the Trim work like you said , etc.
    What yard bills for less than eight hours anyway ...lol.
    Be ya it would be 8hrs .
  15. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Well, yes of course: Boat yards knows how to write bills
    2 years ago I was hauled out at a well known yard in Fort a Lauderdale: They advertised being experts on everything, including bow thrusters, in fact they specified bow thrusters in their ad.
    Told the yard to take a good look at my little 4HP Vetus thruster and do whatever is needed. (In addition to soda blasting, bottom paint, barrier coat and primer, new boot stripe and a few gelcoat repairs)
    The charge for looking at the bow thruster was $95.00, but the “Expert” had no clue the zink anode was missing.
    Hence I do my own stuff these days.
    Had 2 great guys helping with maintenance on my boats over the last 21 years, One retired back to the UK, Dermot with “Seagoing Services” the other on died from hearth attacks, Andy Wall from Oz.
    Based on the above, I do a lot of stuff myself, don’t need a redneck with no teeth to work on my baby. :rolleyes: