Click for Burger Click for Mulder Click for Furuno Click for Westport Click for Walker

Getting a start in Yachting

Discussion in 'Yacht Crews' started by sailronin, Feb 1, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. MaxResolution

MaxResolution Senior Member

Ideal 'swansong' career choice?

Personality, attitude? At my age, 53, I'm nearly out of the game. But this didn't stop me from making an exploratory trip to Lauderdale last month, in search of exactly that; a 'no-experience' position in the yards. And, with 35+ years of nationwide free-lancing behind me, you can imagine just how rediculous it felt to find myself noting details on my high-school education.

I figure things like this. I can continue this landlubber hustle and save up for my eventual, 'lifetime goal' retirement gig, ((that of operating a 4-star fish-n-chips beach-hut on some windswept island,)) OR, I can take a more immediate path, and actually learn the art of staying afloat at sea.

Looking out at the Miami harbor was quite an eye-opener, not unlike my first visit to NYC. But, if it's a matter of playing-up to the ownership society, I suppose the real opportunity there for me at the moment would be to join-in on the completion of the -twenty-something- Skyscrapers that are literally crying out for the best Audio/Video installers they can find.

Yet, after nine years of 'home theater' I've pretty much had it with today's American homes. Previously, I had done 20+ years of high-end architectural photography, so I'm no stranger to the likes of a (transposing) Patrick Knowles, or a Lars Modin. So, in my case the issue is one of leverage, because the speciality I seek has much less to do with 'seaworthiness' than it does with aquatic design & construction applicability. Frankly, 80% of the Florida interior designers suck. But that's a far cry greater than LA, where I can list the ones I actually like on a bar napkin.

Skeptics abound, but the only path I see for me is to bring an entirely new set of electrical efficiencies to the table, so it's back to the drawing board, as opposed to walking the plank...

:cool: