Click for Walker Click for Glendinning Click for JetForums Click for Mulder Click for Burger

Fuel truck delivery - Richmond, CA

Discussion in 'Marinas & Waypoints' started by TahoeJohn, Feb 3, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. AnotherKen

AnotherKen Member

It also occurred to me that the coast guard doesn't really like towing boats when they don't have to, so they might be able to refer you to a competitively priced provider and to a dock or slip you can use.
  2. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Sounds like a total PITA to me to try and save a few bucks. If you have to travel farther your likely saving nothing. What if the fuel truck doesn’t have the right nozzle when you get there? Also, lots of commercial docks are not set up for yachts. You could end up with hull scratches, grease or tire marks, mooring line damage or many other issues.
    You also need to be careful because fueling from a truck to a boat is classified as a shore to ship Transfer operation. In most places that requires an oil boom and proper protocols. Marinas with fuel docks are classified differently and don’t have these requirements. I would find something else to save $$ on and just go to a proper fueling marina. Just my $.02
  3. AnotherKen

AnotherKen Member

Actually, one thing that there used to be around here, and may still be in some US or Canada Ports are refueling rafts being run by an oil company. They used to be around here when I was younger, but I haven't seen one around in a while. With those, you cut out the middle man and they will be equipped to refuel boats, planes, etc.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

We used a fuel barge up in Buzzard's Bay some years ago, but not sure if the OP would be taking on enough fuel for that. When we did it we took on 20,000 gals.
  5. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Some of you make this sound like it's some 22nd century idea or something. People fuel from trucks all the time. We have throughout the US and in other countries as well. At home, we get all our fuel from trucks. In South Florida there are at least 6 to 8 fuel providers available. The only question is simply where he can do so in his situation and I'm sure there are commercial docks and perhaps others available.

Minimums vary from 500 to 1000 gallons. In Fort Lauderdale, it may save you up to $1.50 per gallon so on 1000 gallons, $1500. Now we often take 7000 gallons or more and then it's $10,000. It's fast, it's professional and very protective of the water.
  6. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

And you are assuming that the regulations in CA are the same as in Florida. Very bad assumption sir! You are also assuming that just because you do something and nothing bad happens that everyone should do it. I work in the marine industry. I can give you plenty of horror stories of fueling issues gone bad using trucks. It really comes down down to a simple risk vs reward situation. How much, if anything, are you saving and are you taking additional risk to gain that savings that is commiserate with the risk. I personally do not see the added risk worth the saving but if you and others feel differently then go for it! We all get to make our own decisions based on our personal situations. I respect others' decisions and input and are simply offering some data for consideration.
  7. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

No, I will simply state that we've fueled by Truck in California with no problems and that it is an available service there. I don't know why you see an added risk with the hose coming from a truck vs. a pump hooked to an inground tank. If you try fueling at an unfit dock or something or with no dock, perhaps. Much of the time it's at a very good commercial dock where all fueling is by truck. At home, it's either at our house or at our dock in a marina that only uses trucks.
  8. TahoeJohn

TahoeJohn Member

Thank you for everyone's input and suggestions. I've concluded that while this apparently common elsewhere, it's not a "thing" here in the SF Bay area. No-one came back with "here's who does it and where you fuel". Furthermore, the one company who even entertained the idea came back with $3.40 (with taxes) for red diesel plus a $700 service fee.

The best current price seems to be $3.15 at Fisherman's Wharf (Maxum Petroleum) which isn't bad. Much better than my marina's $3.99.
  9. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Now you can spend your time on your vibration issue instead of jumping through hoops trying to arrange fuel :);)
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Given how serious Ca is about pollution I'm not surprised.
  11. TahoeJohn

TahoeJohn Member

Yup, aye-aye to that! :)
  12. Danvilletim

Danvilletim Senior Member

We tired this and it is not legal to bring a flexible hose from land to over the water in CA. I think most marinas are aware. I had a couple drivers on diesel direct willing if I could find a place, but ultimately not worth the effort.
  13. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

It's not illegal to fuel from a truck in Ca (ships do it all the time), but the regulations are extremely complex as shown on the link below and they do take it seriously. I'd be suspect of fuel quality and afraid of liability with anybody willing to circumvent the regulations to fuel a smallish boat.
    https://www.nassco.com/purchasing/e...nsfers/5_Env Req for Over Water Transfers.pdf
  14. Danvilletim

Danvilletim Senior Member

Best price used to be fuel dock at Clipper harbor in Sausalito .