Click for Ocean Alexander Click for YF Listing Service Click for Northern Lights Click for Westport Click for Burger

Fuel Lines

Discussion in 'Engines' started by SplashFl, Oct 3, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

My FRP tanks are 53 years old… I sleep well at night :). Lazzara was another US builder that used FRP tanks.

we put all new hoses when I repowered a few years ago. Cheap insurance as they were 50 years old!
  2. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

I as well in my Viking, and best money spent for replacement fuel lines.
  3. SplashFl

SplashFl Active Member

I just got 16 of the old fuel line ends. Mechanic said he will bring the other 14 on Wednesday after they arrive at the hydraulic supply. If you send me your zip code I can provide your your cost to ship. Also a reminder. These are crimp on type so no idea why you would want them.
    Imgp0055.jpg
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Those are not crimp on.
    Those are reusable 3 piece ends.
  5. SplashFl

SplashFl Active Member

Mechanic just confirmed you're correct. He said the hose supply would not be responsible for a leak if they didn't use all new crimp on ones. O well, I'll let you know soon as he brings me the rest of them. The new blue hoses say Parker and Coast Guard Approved and a nice blue, and unlike the old hoses that were stiff as boards these nice and flexible.
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

This is a good CYA for the hose shop.
    I do understand their liability and warranties on new hose assemblies. I also understand profit margins and business pressures.

The used hose fittings are a PIA to take apart and clean up. Requires at least 6 oz of hooch some raining afternoon.
    Half of the stuff in your picture will be scrapped. Amazing how many cracks and flaws I find in the lil pieces during inspections.

Some lil nugget in the back of a real hose shop can not make a pay check this way, but I'm not working for profit. Just tinkering on some prototype fuel polish system and keeping up a mix/match inventory.

Give your new hoses a few years sitting in place. Out of boredom, they will get stiff also.
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2023
  7. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

All Oceans, prior to 1984 have FRP fuel tanks , btw.After that aluminum.
    My 1981 42’ Ocean Yachts are just that, FRP saddle tanks , along with two holding tanks and water tank all FRP glassed in , between the stringers . Which helps give my old tub some stiffness which I’ll take ! So far no leaks

As I say no two Oceans were built alike.I’m a bit lucky with my configuration for an Ocean Yachts.

Fuels lines ? Yeah I’m getting there . There still holding up ok. BUT , yes , yes I should change them out.

Your Bert looks nice , enjoy!
  8. SplashFl

SplashFl Active Member

Made a lot of progress today. Won't be back to finish till Thurs. He was talking about retiring and moving to Costa Rica.
    Imgp0076.jpg