Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Walker Click for JetForums Click for Glendinning Click for Abeking

Fuel in my water tank !!!

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by zappiros, May 29, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

As the old saying starts ... "If you have to ask ..."
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I would suggest that if you even have to ask that then maybe the land is the best place for someone with your skills and experience with these matters to stay as the previous poster states.

In your plumbing experience or life's experience have you ever worked on any marine vessels that have fixed plumbing systems?
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Actually, depending on the size, the OP's boat (Bertram or Hat) probably has a plastic tank. Especially IF someone else is footing the bill I would demand a new tank (and probably settle for a very good professional cleaning) although that is a big IF because I still question why he'd let someone on the dock fuel him unsupervised. Changing the tank (not the whole plumbing system) might even be cheaper depending on professional labor rates in his area.
  4. zappiros

zappiros New Member

Finnaly I clean the tank, thanks

My dear friends...finnally I decided to clean my tanks with a guys specialized in cleanning fuel tanks....they use a bunch of producst from some kind of dust detergent (i think it was soap...jejeje and clorox) they open the tanks directly on the senders and place an air hose inside...pictures attached....

So far I have fill twice the tanks and still have a little smeel of soap in the water....will see after a couple fills more....

Attached Files:

5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

actaully on most Hatts, the tanks (incl. water tanks) are fiberglass not just "plastic" poly tanks. not easy to replace.

as to letting someone fuel a boat unsupervised, 3 or 4 years ago I went to the fuel dock with my boat. by the time I had the lines secured, gone back to the helm to shut down, down to the ER to throw the vent valves and pull the vent hose i use during fueling, the attendant had the nozzle in a fitting marked "WASTE" and was was just about to start pumping.

never underestimate how stupid some people can be.
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Your expected reaction would probably fall under the catagory or "justifiable homicide". Hope you pumped a few gallons into his waste hole as a lesson.
  7. zappiros

zappiros New Member

After filling the tanks almost 9 times I can tell, that smeels is finnaly going (still there....but is is almost imperceptible) .......
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

9 times in a month?:confused: Filling or cleaning 9x?
  9. zappiros

zappiros New Member

:) Sorry about that.... after cleanning the thanks (one time only) I fill the tanks with clean water...navigate rough seas......waste all the water....fill the tank again (I have done this 9 times)....

I am going to fill them with one gallon of alcohol per each 50 gallons of the capacity, to see if I can kill that final smeel I feel
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Shaking it up is great, but you could probably just flush those tanks once or twice a day.
  11. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

I was a mate on a small salvage/tow boat when we were called to a emergency tow.

The captain stopped at the fuel pier and the attendant handed him a nozzle.
    I do not recall how many gallons of fuel ( less than 25 gallons in about a 150 gallon tank ) he pumped before the attendant came running to say it was gas not diesel.

The captain was stunned and pissed at himself.

We added about three gallons of straight 30 weight oil and topped off with diesel.

It was a 671 detroit pumped up to about 450 hp. It never skipped a beat and I never let him live it down.
  12. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

The 6 71 is an amazingly robust old banger, a bit of gas wouldn't make a jot of difference to one of those.

I do believe that before the advent of winter diesel that Gas was mixed with Diesel to stop it waxing and keep the machines running.
  13. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I'd never heard that, but it sounds viable. What formula was used if you know?
  14. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

It was something I recall the old boys talking about when I did my apprenticeship.

I also know from experience with folks myself included mistakenly adding Gas to a diesel tank in small quantities not making any noticeable difference.
  15. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

In large enough quantities I could see that being explosive, but in moderate quantities I could see it working for you. Was just curious where you thought the cutoff point was. We always just kept some a can of ether around to get things started in winter (another thing you don't want to use too much of or smoke around).
  16. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Adding gasoline to diesel as a means to lower the temperature at which wax forms (cloud point) doesn't really do much. Adding it once wax has formed will not dissolve the wax, and even a 20 percent blend of gasoline will only reduce the cloud point by a few degrees.

But, and this is the big one, adding even small amounts of gasoline to diesel will lower the flash point to illegal (for boats) levels and create a threat to life, limb, and warranty, not to mention insurance coverage for the loss of your boat and those at the dock next to you.

If winter starting is a problem, or filter clogging by wax is possible (why are we talking about this in July?) then blend jet fuel, kerosene, or home heating fuel but never gasoline.
  17. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Also there are quite a few additives we use on our diesel trucks and equipment that I assume you could use in a boat with out the worry of flashpoint.
  18. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Just use #1 diesel, there is very little wax in it so the odds are pretty slim of having wax problems. Additives only lower the filter plugging point by a few degrees at best because they change the shape of the wax crystals, additives don't prevent them and can't eliminate them once they have formed. Mouse milk is an expense feel good proposition.

The only thing that works is blending a product that has a lower pour point and less wax, and that is stuff like jet fuel, kerosene, or home heating oil. Either that or fuel heating.
  19. Striker36

Striker36 New Member

20. NEO56

NEO56 Member

I'm no expert, but I'm guessin' that a case of 1.75 liter bottles of good Vodka will rid the necessity of re-plumbing the whole system....just a thought.