Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport Click for Glendinning Click for Westport

From $2.00 gas to $5.00 gas in 4 years

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Codger, May 18, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CaptainAt18

CaptainAt18 New Member

The EEStor Inc. batteries could have a large impact, greater than most people realize, I think. I wish I were in the Austin, TX area to go take a look. I am a firm believer in a famous quote by Bill Gates; "Any problem can be solved if you put enough IQ to it."

5 minute recharges, 10% or less weight of current batteries storing the same amount of energy. I hope when I can afford my first yacht (~2011-2012) I can have it powered by batteries and a diesel generator (hopefully with <$3/gal diesel).

Ah, what an exciting and volatile time we live in. I am only 22 years old, and remeber riding with my grandpa to the Indian Reservation to buy $0.92/gal gas. It's jaw dropping to think since then, prices have risen 400 %, and only now are people getting serious about alternative power sources.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

CaptainAt18,
    At 16 I worked in a gas station. We had gas wars with the station across the street. One would be $0.26, the other $0.27 per gallon, and with a fill up of 8gals. or more you got a really solid Nescafe or NFL glass and green stamps. Plus we'd check your tire pressure, oil & tranny fluid and wash your windshield. Oh yeah, we pumped your gas. And no I'm not 80 years old.:( You are heading into an interesting world. Hope you can afford it.
  3. CaptainAt18

CaptainAt18 New Member

I hope I can afford it too. I think there will be some interesting and dramatic changes coming soon (1-2y's) in the transportation industry. Already in San Francisco there are special parking spots for plug-in cars (hybrid and electric). On my way to work this morning (Saturday work, :eek: ) I passed two shiny silver/gunmetal BMW 7 series, both with unfamiliar plates and HYDROGEN decals covering the sides and hood. I suspect they are test mules from Toronto (only 45 minutes from my door in the US).
    At any rate, when I joined this forum in 2004, I planned to become a Captain ASAP via my college career at the University of Miami. Little did I know, that the Miami nightlife and lifestyle would eat up all of my sensibilities. Since that very fun, but ultimately damaging freshman year at UM, I moved home and changed my career path. No longer do I want to be a Captain, (although i just bought my first boat last week), but I am an investment management analyst and hope to become a successful entrepreneur when the time comes. Then, I will hire a captain for my alternative fuel yacht (I can still daydream). The prices of many 55'-75' vessels have plummetted from when I was initially researching in 2004, I hope the trend continues.

Well, this post is pretty off topic for the thread, so to finish on topic, Crude Sweet Oil is @ $128/barrel, but I still paid $4.40/gl for gas this morning (auto, not marine). Once we pay for $4/gl gas, we'll never stop, I hope EEStor is progressing forward with their super high capacity batteries, maybe a true alternative to gas powered vehicles will bring down the price.

Have a great weekend everyone, I can't wait to get out on the water after the office today!
  4. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Just keep this in mind during your investment analyst career....:D ;)

Boating, Fishing, Siesta
    http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/29291-post35.html
  5. brian eiland

...couple of interesting comments I ran across

Just drove across the US. Dawdled in the Black Hills - the whole **** state of South Dakota is a tourist trap - but otherwise it was a serious journey.

When I burned 10% ethanol, my mileage dropped from 17-25%. The **** stuff is not only inefficient to produce, but it apparently contaminates gasoline, making it even less efficient than if it was left out of the mix.

Ya, the BTU per gallon of fuel is about 2/3 of gasoline so depending on the mix it should drop your millage accordingly.

But there is an oxygen adding factor that if your engine is properly compensating for it should bring that back up some there is a chip in all cars produced after some mysterious date that is supposed to do this, but its all pretty questionable.

In the end it takes enough grain to make one tank of fuel as would feed some one for a year. I think its 2.8 gallons a bushel of 95%, but dont quote me on that so one twelve gallon tank is nearly five bushels.... bushel is about fifty pounds.....thats 250 lbs of grain.

hmmmmmmmm
    Great way to drive up the price of grain. Any one else ever wonder if its got anything to do with the idea that when all the farmers went bust in the eighties the huge corperations snagged the land, and now are making more money on grain than ever waisting it to produce alcohol that could be more efficiently produced out of cat tail reads or switch grass.

As per norm, we are getting swindled
  6. CaptainAt18

CaptainAt18 New Member

Brian,

I just read your story, it was entertaining and definately brings a different point of view to the situation. For me, the issue is burning bridges with my family. Investments is a family business and our approach leads to great job security, hopefully for generations. I will spend my money less conservatively than the rest of my family, as I subscribe to the belief "Spend it while you can, money's contraband, you can't take it with you when you go." It will be an interesting discussion with my father when I disclose my plans to buy a 55-65' yacht ASAP, currently monitoring "Contessa" a Sea Ray SSS 580, sale price is $399,000 and declining... I can only hope for more of these boats coming up for sale, and free-time to use (I am thinking the whole month of January, annually). Thanks again, Brian, the sotry brightened up my day from behind my desk and dual computer screens. BTW, gas is $3.989 here today, WOO HOO!
  7. brian eiland

Oil Speculation, short selling

I posted the rest of this message on the CRUDE discussion here

...or google SemGroup for more
  8. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

"What is remarkable is how little has been written about SemGroup’s loss. "

They've been writing quite a bit about SemGroup in the WSJ lately, including today. Lots of smaller local producers-- <500BBL/day-- on the hook for 40-50 day's worth of production, but no one else to sell it to: proverbial rock & a hard place.
  9. brian eiland

ON THE FRONT PAGE OF THE LONDON 'FINANCIAL TIMES' TODAY

Producers scramble to lock in oil prices
    By Javier Blas in London

Published: August 6 2008 03:00

Crude oil and natural gas producers are scrambling to "lock in" prices by buying insurance against further drops as oil yesterday hit a fresh three month low of $118 a barrel.

Oil has fallen nearly 20 per cent from last month's record $147.27, offering the prospect of a respite from global inflationary pressures and boosting equities. In the options market over the last week, for every buyer of insurance against a rise in prices in 2009 there were almost 10 buyers of protection against a fall.

Traders said strong buying of put options - contracts that give holders the right to sell crude oil at a predetermined price and date - might be exacerbating the fall in oil prices.

The options' originators, such as Wall Street banks, need to sell futures -
    pushing down prices - to hedge their option positions.

The number of financial bets providing insurance against a fall in prices below $100 a barrel before the end of the year has more than doubled in the past six weeks, according to the New York Mercantile Exchange. Yesterday, there were more than 46,000 outstanding contracts for Nymex December 2008 put options at $100 a barrel, up about 135 per cent on late June.

Traders said a single market participant, believed to be a Latin American national oil company, had in the past 10 days taken a large position in put options to protect itself against a drop below $70 by December 2009.

Gareth Lewis-Davies of Dresdner Kleinwort said that - as well as signs of demand weakness, particularly in the US but also in Europe and Japan - there had been a jump in production by members of Opec, the oil producers' cartel, as Saudi Arabia ramped up its output.

But analysts point out that non-Opec output growth remains lacklustre while demand continues to be robust in emerging markets such as China and India
  10. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

That's interesting, considering the retail price of gasoline around here hasn't quite dropped 10% since the high point last month.:rolleyes:
  11. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Interesting that as the price of oil has fallen so has the activity in this thread.
    Now that we're below 90.00, which is the base cost at which many producing countries established their budgets, the associated drilling/R&D budgets will also fall. In the consuming countries the increased tax revenue from high fuel prices is also taking a hit. North American consumption for first half 08 dropped by somewhere in the realm of 925K bbls to 1.2 million bbls per day as compared to first half 07.
    Now that the banking mess is muddying things up it doesn't look like the lower oil prices will result in a short term increase in consumption. The Vienna OPEC meeting in November will be quite the little stress show.:D

Yes, I'm going to take a hit on some of the diesel forwards in the next 2 weeks. :(
  12. catmando

catmando Senior Member

87 octane is $2.61-2.67 here in ft worth :)

Diesel is still over $4. :mad:
  13. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Never thought I'd hear myself this, but $2.61 a gallon. WOW!!! Still $3.35 and up here. :( It's a step in the right direction.
  14. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

We've been hovering around $3.66/gallon here (at today's exchange rate) for 87 Octane. Diesel is around $4.35.
  15. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Diesel is falling too, i got some at $3.50 on friday at the dock, but delivery was 3.20 (Miami)

I was looking at price reports, with a little effort (phone calls) you can find diesel under $3.50 on the ICW, at least in the Carolinas and Chesapeake. It pays to shop around, some docks are still well over $4 in the same area. Havent' looked at prices in NY/NJ as i will have enough to make it to the Ches.
  16. Loren Schweizer

Pascal, you're right about shopping around: the fuel service here in FLL with the Little Yellow Barges quoted $4.15 cash/$4.25 credit card today; usually they are the cheapest guys around.
    But then, my morning commute showed a gas station range (for 89 octane) from $2.96 to $3,49.
    Go figure.
  17. I am on my way from Egg Harbor, NJ to Fort Lauderdale on a new 52 Buddy Davis Epress, headed to the Fort Lauderdale Boat Show. The price for diesel at Tidewater Yacht in Portsmouth/Norfolk, VA was $2.99 per gallon if buying over 1000 gallons. There is no sign with that amount, you have to ask for the discount. In Southport, NC prices are back up to $3.74 before quantity discount (we have three new boats running together)
  18. Loren Schweizer

Now there's an idea: Before you top off your yacht, call your pals first to show up en masse at the fuel dock for the expected Volume Discount.
  19. brian eiland

Don't Count those Chickens Yet!!

I say "don't be lulled into these new lower prices just yet".

1) Certainly the oil companies will do their best to keep prices as low as possible prior to our election in hopes the 'Republican oil crew' gets re-elected....then afterwards, no push-back.

2) And have you taken notice of those TV ads surrounding the presidential debates, and sponsored by Israel, touting its venerability to Iran's nuclear program?? :rolleyes: I'll take odds that Israel will bomb Iran before George Bush leaves office....that should push oil up to beyond $200/barrel. :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_hWEB2UzcM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftpEN4BpQB8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fNgyf47MeU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5b8xqZ2z00

What effect do you suppose that will have on the world's economy??
  20. hat4349

hat4349 Senior Member

I won't put anything past Bush just before the election to try to created fear and push McCain ahead based on that. They have to do something to get attention to their putting the economy in the toilet.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.