Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Burger

Floating home is NOT a boat, says US Supreme Court

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by brian eiland, Jan 26, 2013.

1. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

....from another forum

Here's what actually happened; the Supreme Court didn't just pull an arbitrary ruling out of its collective backside on a whim.

And another relevant snippet:
    I'm not surprised by any of this. I lived and worked in Florida for a couple of years, and was amazed by how highhanded and arrogant local governments could be sometimes. I saw a remodel job get shut down and sent into bankruptcy, because the local building and safety officials decreed the contractor had encroached on the home's setback from the property line by adding a new coat of stucco to the walls.
    Troy
  2. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Less about law than corruption, if true. Note the news article's author has the same last name as the "boat" owner?
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

What last name? That's the person who owned the housebarge (first and last). Sounds like there's a serious political war going on in that town, and a very expensive one. Hate to be a tax payer there. Sort of like watching your wife walk in the front doors of Cartier with your credit card.
  4. brian eiland

I think he defended himself in some of the first hearings before city council,...and may have authored that piece
  5. Beau

Beau Senior Member

6. brian eiland

Florida does not have a state income tax, which might necessitate their property taxes can be a bit higher (though I don't think they are higher percentage wise than some of these northern states).

If I remember correctly I think you can live in a trailer in Fla without paying property taxes also,...if it is in a trailer park?