Click for Perko Click for Burger Click for Glendinning Click for Burger Click for Walker

Fleming yachts

Discussion in 'Fleming Yachts' started by MBG, Sep 16, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. MBG

MBG New Member

I was at the Southampton Boat Show this week and came across two impressive boats - the Fleming 55 and the Fleming 65. I've nothing to do with the company and I only spotted them enroute to viewing the Nordhavn stand. Didn't find them listed here so I thought I'd introduce them to the forums...

Here are a few links.

Company web site
    http://www.flemingyachts.com/index.html

Owner Tony Fleming's extensive cruising with the '65' starts here.
    http://www.flemingyachts.com/venture/venture.html
  2. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

They do indeed build a very well thought out boat and are highly regarded in the trawler circles. Have spent a lot of time on a 55' and 65' in both protected and open waters.
  3. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

The boatyard I work for looks after two 55s and they do seem very well put together. Everything looks just a little bit overbuilt, just what you want on a trawler yacht.

I will have a look at the 65' at the show on Friday for sure.

Fish
  4. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

Fish-
    If you've seen the 55' you'll be pretty surprised when you compare it to the 65'.
    They are a night and day difference as far as size and features. What they do with the extra 2' of beam blew me away.
  5. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Jeez, what are they doing in the saloon, playing tennis? The 55 has almost as much room as a 68' I used to run.
  6. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

You'll be surprised to see how they use the additional 2' of beam on the 65'.
    It's a nice boat, and dwarfs the 55 when compared side by side.
  7. MBG

MBG New Member

Glad to see others are equally impressed. Like I said, I went to view another boat but these are lower/safer in the water, superbly built and well-specified, beautifully laid out and finished and can cruise enormous distances safely at around 8-10 knots. Then, if circumstances dictate, these Flemings can really lift their skirts and dash.

The web site, when compared with many boat sites, doesn't do them justice. . .
  8. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

Call me old school, but I'm a big fan of clean, clear, detailed information on a web site, especially for a boat manufacture. More often than not, there is more effort put into in eye candy, flash, and animation for a site than there is getting the user / consumer the information in which is important.
  9. MBG

MBG New Member

Totally agree with you PropBet. The virtual tours being a good example of your own argument I suppose.

So, for a boat where much is made of the 'attention to detail' there is no image of any detail. . . Only wide-angle general shots, including 2 of a ladder (using the '75' as an example). . . .That doesn't do them justice - An opportunity lost I feel. . .
  10. chuckb

chuckb Senior Member

I've heard that the Fleming design was conceptually derived from the Defever 49 trawler. For a used trawler, the Defever's look to be a bargain. Anyone out there that has experience with both and can comment on similarities and differences?
  11. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Offshore

In early 2007 I was looking at buying a Fleming 55. The attention to detail, the beautiful, timeless looks and low profile appealed to me. Plus the great quality!
    Then I went on a 58 Offshore. It felt like a much bigger boat. So roomy and well laid out it was a far better deal. I bought one with no regrets. However I must say it was not quite the quality of a Fleming, yet I had some very good times on this boat, in bad seas and gentle cruising. Certainly worth looking at for a comparison.
    BTW, I have no connection to the Offshore company or dealers.