Click for Glendinning Click for YF Listing Service Click for Cross Click for Westport Click for Furuno

Ferretti Steering Issue

Discussion in 'Ferretti Yacht' started by Ozzie, Jan 21, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Ozzie

Ozzie Member

Hello All,

I've got a Ferretti 88 '05 model with the pressure sensing steering controls installed. Had the call this morning that the steering was having a problem.

The boat was hauled and the emergency steering was used to shift the rudders in order to remove the props. The emergency helm control valve was opened but not the bypass valves at the rams. Eventually they were opened.
    Since then the steering has been extremely difficult; normal spinning of the helm is easy, but does not move the rams. Fast spinning of the helm is stiffer and does shift the ram, but only by 3-5 degrees per spin. It apparently is a real workout.
    Manually depressing the port & starboard solenoid valves on the hydraulic pack shifts the rudder like butter.
    So obviously the problem lies in the amount or lack of pressure being created by the helm whilst spinning...

Is anyone familiar with this situation or have any insight?
    Thanks in advance for your help.

Attached Files:

2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It sounds like the helm is bad and bypassing the hydraulic fluid rather than pushing it one way or the other. Some helms have a part in them with a spring then closes a line off when the steering wheel is turned one way, then allows fluid the other way. I forget what the part is called, but sometimes the spring breaks in it. I am not sure on your system though.
  3. Ozzie

Ozzie Member

Thank you for the reply, I do agree that that is what is basically causing the problem. However I have failed to mention that it is happening on both the wheelhouse & flybridge helms. And from what I see on the boat the only hydraulic section shared by both wheels is on the hydraulic pack.
    My best guess are damaged flow switches or check valves, so I'm tapping out.
    I'll post up results when I find out.

Thanks again