Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Furuno Click for Nordhavn Click for Perko Click for YF Listing Service

Family looking for 1st Trawler

Discussion in 'General Trawler Discussion' started by oubeta, Mar 9, 2021.

1. mapism

mapism Senior Member

I'm not sure the OP is interested in this somewhat philosophical debate, considering also, as I understand, that he's seeing the circumnavigation as a one-off project, rather than a radical change for a liveaboard lifestyle with a very long term horizon.
    And as we know, boats capable to go RTW can be - and actually have been - built with just about every material: not only plastic/steel/alu, but even wood. Which btw, for living aboard, is hands down the best alternative, way above anything else.

That said, the only boats I ever came across designed to withstand a catastrophic engine room fire were built in steel.
    It isn't just a matter of material of course, and the vessel must be designed from the ground up with that event in mind (fully water & fire proof bulkheads+doors, get home engine in a separate compartment with its own fuel feed, structural tanks, and so forth).
    But for any builder who wants to design a boat capable to survive such event, the choice of steel is a no brainer, really.
    Not only glass and wood (obviously), but even aluminum ain't as good as steel, in this respect.
    oubeta likes this.