Click for Nordhavn Click for Westport Click for Westport Click for Northern Lights Click for Abeking

Expedition Yachts...

Discussion in 'General Trawler Discussion' started by techmati, Jul 8, 2005.

1. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Techmati,

I was looking at trawlers & expeditions on YachtWorld this weekend. I searched several hundred listings, but I didn't see anything that could have been a "sistership" to the m/y Horizons. I did notice (a long established trend) the number of ex-commercial trawlers that are converted to cruising yachts after they're retired. The ocean-going equivilent to the sport utility vehicle. ;)

Wish I could be more helpful on identifying Horizons. Maybe "ychtcptn" can give us some insight?
  2. ychtcptn

ychtcptn Senior Member

Did a search on more info on Horizons and could not find much, did find a picture of the two together. The Tysons Pride sportfish is a Merrit around 65' long. This group is widely known in the sportfishing crowd and have traveled all over the world. Another mothership operation is the French Look, which is a converted oil supply vessel from the Gulf, worth a search for if you are interested in this subject.
    Oh and don't forget the Madam and the Hooker.
  3. kootenay67

kootenay67 Senior Member

In Yacht Registry they had a listing for Horizons 1988 105 ft 32m built at Unidos Do Ensenada. Dont have a clue if this is the same yacht or not . I have not heard of this yard before. Anyone have any idea ??
  4. techmati

techmati Senior Member

thanks guys, i was searching as well but there is so little info on the net. ychtcptn already noted most of it, so thanks to ychtcptn for that. i doubt if we will find any more at the moment.

i have found that she is a 100ft trawler conversion done some time in the 80s, early 90s. Datastar Marine installed a Visual V-MAC solution on her at some point and noted her to be normally based in the Caribbean. She is port of registry George Town, Cayman Islands.

The owner did do a European fishing trip May/June 1992 so there is a possibility that the yacht is here for another one.

i uploaded the big pics now
    http://www.techmati.com/yachts/horizons/index.htm
  5. techmati

techmati Senior Member

lol just as we were giving up, kootenay comes in with another clue.

typically foreign names are misspelt a bit. should be Astilleros Unidos de Ensenada, BC Mexico. the date of build is good and the length also. perhaps not a conversion but a newbuild by a trawler yard as a yacht?
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2005
  6. YachtForums

Some time ago, I posted a picture of an expedition I spotted along New River. It was, how do I say this politely... aesthetically challenged (;)), so it got relegated to the "rogues" thread. Later, I thought it was inappropriate for the thread, so I deleted it. Now... I'm trying to find it again. I just scanned through about 1000 pictures on my hard drive. Later, I'll start spinning some archive disks. Hard to remember, but I think this was the CLOSEST thing I've seen to Horizons.

It had a dark blue hull and 6 square windows incorporated into the bow, on each side. The boat is still along New River, last I checked. Does this sound familiar to anyone?
  7. YachtForums

By the way, I'm not thinking about "Private Lives" the RMK pictured below, although it has similar square windows...

Attached Files:

8. YachtForums

I've gone through my archives and I can't find the boat I believe to be the sistership to Horizons. But, I did find the most beautiful expedition... yet to be built. Oceanco's Y701 project, designed by Nuvolari & Lenard. Spectacular!

It's being built now and we may have pre-construction pics to share soon... :)

Attached Files:

9. techmati

techmati Senior Member

wow i like!!!. she flies the Greek Flag. built for owner of the yard?
  10. techmati

techmati Senior Member

GIANT I at St. Tropez 18/Jun/05

Attached Files:

11. techmati

techmati Senior Member

Starboard Side. Photos by Capt. Gary

Attached Files:

12. techmati

techmati Senior Member

starboard tender

Attached Files:

13. tantetruus

tantetruus New Member

Y701 some sneek pics of her

Came in too late for better pics (had to work)

Attached Files:

14. YachtForums

Way to go, Tantetruus! Thank you for sharing! :)
  15. tantetruus

tantetruus New Member

you're welcome:)

There was a piece somewhere on the forum about being able to follow the build of a yacht.

I'd be more then happy to make pictures for an item like that, but the problem of course is to be able to do so. (entering a shed with a camera and leaving in good health after taking the pictures would be nice..)

If there would be any contacts with yards, i live one (enormous) stonethrow from both Oceanco and Slob (where the casco's for Oceanco, the 701 included are being build).
    (Now, there would have been the ideal scenario, since one would have been able to follow the build first of the casco, and later of the yacht itself.)
  16. YachtForums

LOL! :D

Oceanco's marketing director is Michelle Flandin. I spoke her about this last month and she was very receptive to the idea of a photo-documentary on the Y701 project, but I haven't had a chance to follow up. The original idea was to begin taking photographs during the framing process, and then systems integration would follow, leading right up to the paint shop and later interior finishing.

I'll send an e-mail as a follow up on this... :)
  17. foundrycourt

foundrycourt New Member

I have a question, I hope someone could answer. I read a rumour on another site that Y701 is already on the market, not sure how true it is. But looking at various superyacht brokers like Edminston, they have yachts that have only begun construction, already up for sale. Why is that??
    Is it because the owner who comissioned it, is not happy with the look once the build is taking place, or can make lot of money on it before it is completed? Maybe there is another reason. I hope somone can satisfy my curiosity
  18. tantetruus

tantetruus New Member

While the building at Oceanco has only started about a week or so ago, the design and building of the casco has been going on for a long time already.
    The 701 turns out to be quite an entry on the market so will be probably quite succesfull. (forums like this are a good measurement )
    The original owner would be able to sell her with quite a profit and the new owner can jump a few years of design and prebuilding on a ship thats already popular, so, everybody happy:)
  19. foundrycourt

foundrycourt New Member

Many Thanks tantetruus for answering my question.