Click for Northern Lights Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn Click for Walker Click for Mulder

Engine shutdown but now fault MTU v10 Serie 2000

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Claus, Jul 28, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Depends on how it is installed. Does the port engine need a separate signal to shut down? Is this signal a N-O or N-C loop or a real data (CAN-Bus) command?
    I can easily imagine a normal closed loop per engine from the suppression control box.
    I would hope the ECM would record this event. Per post #16, no data captured.

I have to admit, I am not MTU savvy. But the predecessor, DDEC I am,, some.
    DDEC never captured power failures.
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2023
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Sometimes when they fail, they'll only shut one engine down........
  3. TOM TADSEN

TOM TADSEN New Member

Only the port engine shuts down, it has happened at idle while preparing to leave the dock and more
    often at my cruise 1800 cruise rpm. Normally the screen goes blank when the engine shuts down.
    once the screen went blank and the engine kept running. Very very strange. No codes saved to
    diagnose the issue. MTU out 5 times now.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

If the screen goes black then it’s not fire suppression

on ours, the helm displays have no impact on the engine. I had a display fail last month and engine would start and run just fine. No big deal since all the critical data is displayed on the Isis system anyway.

If you have already bypassed the key, I would check the wiring between the key and box, ours are up under the helm
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

That's bad power to the box.
    You won't capture any codes.
    Damaged wire or connect.
    Bad breaker.
    Bad switch.
    Loose fuse.
    For hit and giggles, swap panels port to stb, just in case a panel is crow-baring a ECM over.
  6. Fiammetta42

Fiammetta42 Member

Bad ECU .
    Try swopping over to get the diagnosis confirmed or eliminated
  7. Onedrew1

Onedrew1 New Member

Found this thread looking for solutions to what started as a similar problem on MTU 2000 10V. Ours was shutting down for no apparent reason, would restart (the first couple times). Strange codes not ecu codes. Had mechanic in after first shutdown, found all ok. No reason for shutdown found. When it shutdown the last time, we also lost the gear oil pressure display and showed a negative ground fault on the boat's DC panel. Ended up finding chafed wires/ shorts within the "bayonet coupling" (big metal box which is junction to gear sensors etc).
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Welcome to YF.
    Glad you did find something and thank you for sharing.
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I wish the previous posters would update us on their findings and fixes.
    chesapeake46 and motoryachtlover like this.
  10. scott trommer

scott trommer New Member

Wow! Just experienced the same issue on my port MTU V10-2000 r93. Three times at 10-15 minute intervals, engine went to idle, screen blanked and reset. Like key was turned off and right back on. Engine remained running. After screen reset, engaged clutch and set rpm. After the third “reset”, engine ran ops normal for 2 hours until docked. Appears issue needs to remain for >10 seconds to code. So, no code as it’s momentary. Never happened before, connections all look fine. Scheduled for a tech, but not optimistic. Thinking ECU going south. If after tech review, if it happens again, I will have ECUs swapped to rule in or rule out ECU issue. Please report any findings! Thanks!!
    Scott