Click for Perko Click for JetForums Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger

Engine room air intakes

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by Dan balmer, May 19, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Dan balmer

Dan balmer Member

Have 2000 Post 50 and have discovered that the air intakes in the engine room side have wood framing and are furry and seam to be salt air damaged and would like to know after painfully removing this layer of fur inside these air boxes what do I treat it with if anything and how should I view this occurring phenomenon. Also do you folks have any filter covers on your air boxes ? The previous owner had installed a pvc pipe framed filter rectangle on the underside of these boxes and was wondering what to do with it or if serves any purpose. Do you have anything like this on your similar style boat?
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Our Bertram had bunches of fuzzed plywood.
    I used a shop vac and lightly cleaned the wood. Don't get carried aweigh as you can start pulling the wood apart.
    Disposable Brush or roll on a real thin (acetone) of epoxy mix. That wood will suck it all in and disappear.
    Don't worry about the fuzz for now, Just try not to raise any more up.
    When the wood stops soaking in the epoxy or it gets tacky, stop and get a beer.

Day 2, you can now sand down the fuzz and finish the wood.
    In 19 years, I never got this fancy.
  3. Dan balmer

Dan balmer Member

Thank you so much for your reply Capt Ralph Will do as you suggest with the thinned penetrating epoxy stuff. I want to slow down what ever deterioration is going on over these past many years. I’m wondering what to do about these makeshift vent covers that someone put there. I don’t think they were installed by the manufacturer but don’t know for sure so hoping some others with this kind of boat can respond.