Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder

Engine Block Heaters question

Discussion in 'Engines' started by CSkipR, Mar 5, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I agree with KIWI, Marmot, and others......I also feel there is no need to change the oil as a result of leaving the block heater on for 2 weeks. I have never run into a safety issue by leaving them on, either.
  2. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

I leave my block heaters on 24/7 from Fall until late Spring.

I do not check every 4 hours, but every few days at the most.

It costs me about $300 a month in electricity.

I have considered installing some Tstats to save some money.

The Engine Rooms stays warm and tosty, there is little or no rust or mosture in the ER and the mains start immediatly with out any smoke no matter how cold out it is.

As soon as the engines light off, which is immediately with the heaters, the engines purr and sound great, like sweet detroit music. A cold Detroit sound like something is broken or about to break, sounds like bad bad music.
    The heaters must cut down on wear.

I have not noticed any oil volume differences and the coolant doesnt seem to cook off.

I do constantly check the blocks with an IR temp gun. One engine heater seems to get a few degrees hotter than the other one.

The hottest part on the engine is the head at around 110' and the lowest part of the bock stays around 90'. The heat exchangers stay around 80'.