Click for JetForums Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport Click for Walker Click for Ocean Alexander

El Faro: NTSB findings so far, EL Faro's boilers needed servicing

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by Capt J, Oct 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

No you don't, well it depends... This is why the NHC puts out a more detailed advisory every 6 hours which includes wind radius for each quadrant. In the SW quadrant, where El Faro was, hurricane and tropical storm winds always extend less than on the east side. Again look at the sept 30 5am forecast.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/2015/al11/al112015.fstadv.010.shtml?

At 24 hours, 64 kts winds (hurricane force) were not supposed to be found in the SW quadrant at all, except of course in the eye wall. 50kts only extending to 30nm to the SW and 34 kts 60nm to the Sw.

That's half the distance and strength found in the NE quadrant.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yes and moving SW Sept 30th, consistently moving Southwest the entire day before the incident.
    08:00AM EDT 24.9N 72.2W
    11:00 am EDT 24.7N 72.6W
    02:00pm EDT 24.2N 72.9W
    05:00pm EDT 24.3N 73.1 W
    08:00pm EDT 24.0N 73.0 W
    11:00pm EDT 23.8N 73.1 W
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

What difference does 65 miles make? I was in Pompano Beach when Hurricane Andrew roared through Homestead (72 miles to the south). We had a windy / rainy day. Homestead was wiped off the map. I also was home on Long Island about 60 miles east of the eye of Hurricane Sandy when she roared ashore. Again a windy / rainy day. In both cases I was on the stronger side of the hurricane, as opposed to El Faro which was aiming for the weaker side.

Quite frankly I really resent Monday morning quarterbacks trying to blame the deceased captain. His course was no secret. There's more than a few professional involved in where and when these ships cruise, and nobody raised a red flag. If the El Faro hadn't lost power nor taken on water nor......(what we don't and may never know) she'd be on her return trip to Jacksonville right now, and maybe be posting videos on YouTube about their trip through the hurricane.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

As I asked before, Why even tangle with a TD, storm or hurricane?
    Why even get close?

With a few buttons pushed, new course, a more comfortable & controllable path was in any direction but racing toward a storm. He was not to butted in or committed in a path to avoid the weather INCLUDING turning around.

Yep, IF he did not loose power life may have been fine. But why push the ship or LUCK to begin with?

Do you plan what if's when you travel? Would you avoid bad weather?

Do you really want to abuse your equipment when a less stressful route is available?
    Do you want to push anything and risk the loss of your (CARGO)?
    Would you really plan on driving thru a Kansas town with tornado warnings blaring?

My Baja racer can take that next dune, wwwwwhhhooooo.
    I can out race that twister like the people on TV do.
    Wiper blades, only needed when it rains, it's not raining,,, now..

NO, I do not want to back seat quarterback, but to me, I do have concerns of the Captain of that ship.
    THE Captain did not have to take this path, subject the ship to ANY bad weather.
    If the captain was ordered to take this action (think Titanic), then he was still in error not to protect the ship.

Any relationship with the Bounty's captain?

This did not have to happen.

I did turn around when there was tornado warnings years ago...
    Others did not. Some of those others are not here now...

,Ralph
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I'm with Rcrapps. No prudent Captain sails directly into a Hurricane's projected path. Planning on passing 65 miles in front of a hurricane is cutting it pretty darn close in my opinion. How rough was it when he was pushing the ship along at 20 knots to try to beat the storm? In fact another freighter altered it's path, turned around. and hid behind Cuba. Yes, there are a lot of IF's, however if there was no hurricane and a normal sea state, we'd most likely be reading about the El Faro being towed somewhere even IF they lost propulsion, flooded compartment #3, and etc. Or if all this happened as they went down the FL coast, well, there are suitable tug boats along the entire way.
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Wouldda, shoulda, coulda. All easy to say from the comfort of an easy chair on a Monday morning. What about the tugs that brave the North Sea in winter or the crab boats that ply the Bearing Sea. What about the ships that battle the elements in the North Atlantic every day. Should they all turn tail and run home because it'll be rough out there? What about the coasties who go out in nearly anything. They all have a job to do and do it to the best of their ability. Would you blame the captain of the Maersk Alabama for getting hijacked? He was in an area known for piracy. Shouldn't that area of the world be closed to shipping or the captains refuse to cruise there? There would have been nothing wrong with the captain's call had he not lost power and taken on water. Sometimes God has to take the blame, and that's this case unless something new is discovered.

P.S. The captain didn't plan to be towed, because he had no way of knowing he'd need to be towed, or should all ships plying that route go along the Florida coastline just in case, and the crab boats in the Bearing see stay inside Dutch Harbor?

It pains me to agree with Marmot, but each time you've started this thread you've headed it toward an indictment with no evidence as if you have an agenda, instead of just letting the facts speak for themselves. Let's end this speculation (and this thread) and wait for the investigation to complete it's work, rather than defaming people who are not alive to defend themselves. There are families of 33 souls who don't need this.
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Well, the USCG refused to send a search and rescue crew out to look for the El Faro until after the Hurricane force winds subsided, so that ought to say something. They got 3 forms of electronic distress aids from the El Faro at 7:17am that morning. We're talking about going into a Category 3-4 hurricane. I won't add anymore thoughts, just grab some popcorn, sit back, and wait for the NTSB findings.

What if the Captain had lost power and had a hull breach in cargo hold #3 in calm water? It probably wouldn't have even become an incident. What if he hadn't lost power, would the El Faro have been weather a Category 4 hurricane and 50' seas with it's RORO deck that's vulnurable to flooding in really rough seas and it's cargo? There is no defense to say that the Captain did not put the ship in harms way or path and erred on the side of caution. That's all I'm going to say about it. The facts are, the ship went down 20 NM's from the eye of the hurricane.

Using the crab boats in the Bering Sea is a poor example as several of them go down every year in weather they shouldn't be out in and the USCG spends countless millions of dollars looking for survivors. When most of the time they're out there pushing the weather limit so they don't have to spend money on fuel and expenses to do an additional trip to make their quota.
  8. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

It will only hurt a little bit, besides, it's good for you. ;)

Let it keep going. That way readers can see for themselves the true value of speculation and speculators.
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Hey Marmot, you do have a sense of humor.:D
    Capt.J, the crab boats, the North Sea tugs, and the ships that ply our oceans push hard because that's their job. They calculate risk every day, and go unless there's a real reason not to, and comfort isn't one of their considerations. The ships that crossed the ocean during WW I & II didn't say we can't go because the are U boats out there. Would you fault the captains of those ships that went down? You and I have the luxury of saying it's too rough because we might damage these plastic boats. Not so with commerce. They go unless there's an overwhelming reason not to and there wasn't in this case. If the captain knew they were likely to lose power that would be one thing, but he didn't. If the ship had failed inspection that would be one thing, but it didn't. All parties involved believed this to be a routine, albeit rough, voyage. Not just the captain, but his crew, the company, the insurer and the coast guard. Nobody advised against making the voyage, and nothing would have happened if the unforeseeable hadn't occurred. It was just another day at the office for a big boat (commercial) captain, and he and the crew and the company paid the price they all new they might one day because they were in a dangerous profession. Curse God, but don't defame a brave captain who did his job to the best of his abilities. At least not until the investigation is complete.
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The USCG issued a Hurricane warning for the area. That is an overwhelming reason to take the safe route. Do you not think that even if the El Faro made it through the storm, that all of it's cargo would be heavily damaged? Do you think all of those vehicles and all of those goods in containers wouldn't be damaged or lost bouncing around inside a steel container in 30-50' seas? Sailing through a category 4 hurricane is not a routine voyage for any cargo ship.

Greed caused this. As a Captain your job is damage mitigation and sound decision making. Keeping the lives of your crew, passengers (if there are any), ship and cargo safe. They had an alternative route (following the Florida coast), that was not in a Hurricane watch, not in the projected path of a hurricane, and would've added maybe a day of travel time, if that, to the trip with relatively calm seas. Now you have 33 dead, a 790' ship a total loss, and lots of people who lost all of their possessions (cargo) that were on that ship. The decision to play chicken with a category 4 hurricane is what caused the event. Even if you had all of the other events happen at the same time off of the Florida coast, where it was around 6' seas, most likely the vessel, it's crew, and it's cargo would have been safe. Even if the El Faro did not lose propulsion, there's a good probability it still may have sunk. A flooded compartment from the hatch blown open and a 15 degree list in 30-50' seas still puts it in peril.
  11. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Completely disagree.
  12. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Fact is we don't know the ultimate cause of the sinking. I imagine it will be a combination of many factors.

What we know with certainty is the the ship sailed in the direction of the hurricane with a hurricane warning out and then as forecasts worsened and there was still a chance to return or detour, it didn't.

I don't need to know any more, don't even need to know the boat sank, to form the opinion that they shouldn't have taken it into the hurricane area. That's an opinion, everyone entitled to their own. There were other routes available. There was also the option of waiting. Had the boat not sunk and made it through fine, I'd still hold the same opinion.

I don't see this as a fight though, it's just people with different opinions.
  13. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

I am interested in the official investigation report but do tend to agree that with all the information available that it seems like a rather strange move to head directly into a hurricane no matter what vessel you are on.
  14. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I hope they are able to locate the ship and retrieve it's black box and it's working. The depth puts them (NTSB and US Navy) at a big disadvantage.
  15. olderboater

16. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Do you somehow know the Captain planned to avoid what he thought was a "safe route"?
    -Chris
  17. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

What the Captain thought was a safe route, going directly through the Hurricanes projected path and hoping to cross it's path hours before it, was obviously not. Taking a route between the Bahamas and Florida would have been the safe route as it never was in a Hurricane warning or in the projected path of the Hurricane at any time.
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  18. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

So you think the Captain thought he was following a safe route?

-Chris
  19. olderboater

Capt J was quoting your post and I think being a bit sarcastic. You used the term "safe route." What the captain thought we can't know. But a prudent mariner would surely have known there were safer routes. That was Capt J's point. It wasn't as if going through the hurricane, or even going close to the hurricane, was the only possible route.

We can't know what the captain thought but we can have opinions as to what we consider reasonable on his and the company's part.
  20. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

I know, and I was quoting him with that "safe route" (post 30).

He seems to know the Captain thought he was following an unsafe route and did it anyway... and that it was caused by company greed.

My next question would have been "how do you know this to be true?"

-Chris
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.