Click for Delta Click for Abeking Click for JetForums Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger

DIY 3207 stairs for swim deck

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by nater1977, Mar 2, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Harvester_1

Harvester_1 New Member

2. Harvester_1

Harvester_1 New Member

That picture you posted is now my boat. ! Funny finding a picture of your own boat years before you bought her! She is no longer named attitude adjustment though. We performed the Renaming ceramony and named her DEAD RECKONING. She is a great ship! She was well cared for by her original owner. The spinal steps are great. They were what originally caught my eye when I was shopping for an aftcabin. The only complaint I have is that it is difficult carrying boxes or supplies aboard because of the railings. It makes it a very narrow opening so you need an assist to help you carry things above the railings. Or just bring supplies in from the side entrance. But... wow, I was really surprised to stumble on these pictures. Once I saw the Name in the second pic I knew for sure it was my boat. Really great! She is being g well cared for. If you are the original owner, I can send ya pics if ya want. I posted a couple already. Here is a couple...

Attached Files:

3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Send the OP a PM. Click on the member's name, then start a conversation. I'm sure they'd enjoy hearing their old boat is still doing well.
  4. deannagrasso

deannagrasso New Member

Hi, I know this was from a long time ago. But do you have the company that made these steps? I am very interested. Thanks!
  5. Matt Seipert

Matt Seipert New Member

It looks like this was posted in 2014. How do the spiral stairs hold up for you? I am looking for rear swim platform stairs for my 1988 Carver 3607. Not a lot of space and the spiral stairs would be best.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

BBDED3AE-EEA4-4004-9FE9-7D6A3B4B67C4.jpeg Here is what I did on my 53 Hatteras. These pictures are a months old, it been faired level and non skidded since. Pretty simple. To top platform is made of glassed 2” coosa. Secured to the transom on top of strip of starboard with a 45 deg angled 1” tube. From there I have another 45degree angle tube going down to platform. Again each step is supported by a strip of starboard. The edge of the steps are epoxied to the transom

the tube goes theu each step with a SS rail fitting. I also used a shirt piece of tube going into a tee to support the edges of each steps which are made out of glasses 3/4 coosa Very simple geometry and very solid.

as a bonus I no longer have to use boarding stairs on the side finger pier because I always a step at pier level

boat is undergoing a full refit and repower so excuse the appearance.
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

With a rail that'll work nicely. On the 37' Carver I used to run they had a spiral stair, took up about 3' of the swim platform with a couple of inches to move around it if needed. Real convenient.
  8. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I added a grab rail on the transom just about the toe rail. Works well. Not adding a rail outside the steps
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Sounds like someone could walk the plank but I'm sure you know what you're doing.
  10. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I still have to finish building the weather board out of coosa on the starboard side, and will have a gate closing protecting access to the stairs
  11. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Will be interested to see when it's done. My concern with the lack of a railing is that if someone is exiting via the transom with hands full, a pet or just their head in the clouds, they might step off that top step and have a 4' fall.
  12. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I set the top step lower than the deck making it steeper than normal. That prevents anyone from going to fast. You have to step on it sideways.
  13. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I assume this is not an inspected vessel, but I believe you use it for charters. So if a passenger (especially a paying one) were to fall I would expect to hear this cited:
    § 116.900 Deck rails.
    (a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, rails or equivalent protection must be installed near the periphery of all decks of a vessel accessible to passengers or crew. Equivalent protection may include lifelines, wire rope, chains, and bulwarks, that provide strength and support equivalent to fixed rails. Deck rails must include a top rail with the minimum height required by this section, and lower courses or equivalent protection as required by this section.

(b) Deck rails must be designed and constructed to withstand a point load of 91 kilograms (200 pounds) applied at any point in any direction, and a uniform load of 74 kilograms per meter (50 pounds per foot) applied to the top rail in any direction. The point and uniform loads do not need to be applied simultaneously.

(c) Where space limitations make deck rails impractical for areas designed for crew use only, such as at narrow catwalks in way of deckhouse sides, hand grabs may be substituted.

(d) The height of top rails required by paragraph (a) of this section must be as follows:

(1) Rails on passenger decks of a ferry or a vessel engaged in excursion trips, including but not limited to sightseeing trips, dinner and party cruises, and overnight cruises, must be at least 1,000 millimeters (39.5 inches) high.

(2) Rails on a vessel subject to the 1966 International Convention on Load Lines must be at least 1,000 millimeters (39.5 inches) high.

(3) All other rails must be at least 910 millimeters (36 inches) high.

(e) A sailing vessel, an open boat, or any other vessel not specifically covered elsewhere in this section, must have rails of a minimum height or equivalent protection as considered necessary by the cognizant OCMI, based on the vessel's operation, route, and seating arrangement.

(f) Rail courses or an equivalent must be installed between a top rail required by paragraph (a) of this section and the deck so that no open space exists that is more than 305 millimeters (12 inches) high, except:

(1) On passenger decks of a ferry or of a vessel on an excursion trip one of the following must be installed:

(i) Bulwarks;

(ii) Chain link fencing or wire mesh that has openings of not more than 100 millimeters (4 inches) in diameter; or

(iii) Bars, slats, rail courses, or an equivalent spaced at intervals of not more than 100 millimeters (4 inches).

(2) On a vessel subject to the 1966 International Convention on Load Lines, rail courses, or an equivalent, must be installed so that there is not an open space higher than 230 millimeters (9 inches) from the deck to the first rail course or equivalent.

(g) Rails must be permanently installed except that the following rails may be removable:

(1) Rails in way of embarkation stations and boarding locations; and

(2) Rails on a vessel when the service of the vessel is routinely changed, as determined by the cognizant OCMI, and the required top rail height varies depending on the service of the vessel at a particular time.
  14. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

That’s my personal boat... we don’t charter. Again there will be a solid gate

the enclosure around the aft deck and along the sides leading to the PH doors is at the same height Hatteras used.

actually all the railing regulations only apply to inspected vessels, not 6 pack or bareboat.
  15. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Definitely no worries about the CG. I conducted my career with the constant thought of "What if?", because I knew that I'd be personally liable for anything that happened on vessels I captained. It's also how I conduct my life for the same reason. Even just a friend coming on board, having a drink and leaving via the aft stair and not making the right turn could put you in a jackpot. That CFR (along with local building codes) would be used by an attorney to show what is the "normal standard". Just seems easier (and safer) to have a staircase made, probably for less than $1,000. A half dozen anchors and bolts and done. There's some good examples earlier in this thread. You're most of the way there now though. I'd just add a rail to make it dummy-proof to CYA.
  16. Carver84

Carver84 New Member

I am interested are they in Canada, Ontario?
  17. snick

snick New Member

how can I find where to get these ?? Thank You !
  18. Carver84

Carver84 New Member

I am looking for these stairs as wel; I am in Canada - Toronto are!
  19. Carver84

Carver84 New Member

Let me know if you have any luck Snick!
    snick likes this.