Click for Burger Click for Burger Click for JetForums Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Westport

Detroit 12V71

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Sam Bellows, Apr 13, 2022.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Combined. See my last reply. I never include gen because i run the gen 24/7 so I keep track of that burn separately.

the key is to not exceed hull speed. For a 67 footer hull speed is going to be 10kts. Not 10.5 kts… an extra 1/2 kts above HS will Cost you 30% more fuel. An extra knot? Close to double
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

HP is fuel
    Crudely, if each engine is delivering 250 HP to the same props and same ratios, Yes.
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Hull speed can be calculated by the following formula:
    v h u l l ≈ 1.34 × L W L {\displaystyle v_{hull}\approx 1.34\times {\sqrt {L_{WL}}}}
    [​IMG]

where
    L W L {\displaystyle L_{WL}} [​IMG] is the length of the waterline in feet, and
    v h u l l {\displaystyle v_{hull}} [​IMG] is the hull speed of the vessel in knots
  4. Sam Bellows

Sam Bellows New Member

I wholeheartedly appreciate your willingness help and give me some numbers to go on. Im a diver and the ability to use it as a live aboard not to mention a dive boat or occasionally as a chartered dive boat and run it kinda affordably, I’m not expecting a half gallon an hour, is rather important. I’m wanting the yacht equivalent of a Chevy suburban. The places I’d like to go in the Caribbean and gulf are far enough out I don’t want to do it in a 30’ bathtub.
  5. rusty882000

rusty882000 New Member

Any idea what the Detroit 12V-92TA 8122-7400 rated shp 775@2300 rpm would burn at 1800rpm cruising?
    Cant find any performance data on this engine.
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Correctly loaded, 34 (US)GPH.