Click for Perko Click for Delta Click for Cross Click for Walker Click for Ocean Alexander

DELETE Facebook!

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by YachtForums, Jan 25, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GhostriderIII

GhostriderIII Senior Member

2. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

3. GhostriderIII

"drivers are asked to opt in to the program the very first time they tap the screen on the dashboard. You'd accept other terms and conditions. And we'd let you know….that we may be using the location of your car to serve you," Ruskin said.

Privacy advocates point out that it's on us to start thinking about cars for what they've become: data-generating devices.
    So the truth is, that yes, our cars are learning more about us, but what they learn may save our lives," said Lauren Smith of the Future of Privacy Forum.

All of these high-tech bells and whistles can come with another hidden cost – big repair bills after a crash. According to AAA, the average cost of a crash is now $3,000, because of all of the sensors in the front bumper. One study found a "minor hit" to the left front of one car that costs about $50,000 left owners with a repair bill for $34,000."
  4. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

I'm not too concerned about my vehicle spying on me. :)

20170516_184425.jpg
    Kevin likes this.
  5. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

More on the topic of "who is doing what with my data"...

This time: Ford

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/2018/11/13/ford-motor-credit-data-new-revenue/1967077002/

6. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

I think my GMC truck is recording every alert or warning that displays and requires an acknowledgement including driving data...to close to a vehicle, something in front or behind vehicle, or to close to lane stripes. Not sure but think it is recording speeds when alerts activate. Some monitoring can be turned off but it probably is likely still being recorded like a aircraft black box? I do not trust the auto computers in vehicles nowadays. Anyone know what auto driving data is being recorded?
  7. GhostriderIII

Ever see the ads that show a little black box installed to lower your insurance rates? It records your speed how many times you brake excessively hard and bob n weave.

Chrysler was the last car company to install black boxes that monitor your driving habits. Commercial trucks have it too.
  8. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

9. SeaLion

SeaLion Senior Member

Yikes! The examples of creepy invasions of privacy never cease to amaze me.

Yet another of the reason that during this season of "charitable contributions before the end of the tax year", I support Electronic Frontier Foundation https://www.eff.org/ and encourage others to do the same. Excellent analysis and advocacy for digital privacy, freedom and transparancy. Also, check out their Privacy Badger browser extension.

No personal connection, just a concerned citizen.
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I've been wondering about my TV. It's wireless connected to the internet for movies, shows and listings.
    Wondering when somebody is watching the channel switching and power of the mute button.
  11. GhostriderIII

Put a piece of tape over the camera on your computer/tv
  12. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

13. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

My gal setup a facebook account thinking I wanted one. Never used it but kept getting emails. After reading this thread was going to delete my account but recently received notice from facebook they were deleting my account. Saved me the effort but proves if they cannot collect your data to sell, you are dumped.:)
  14. SeaLion

SeaLion Senior Member

They're collecting data on you even if you never had an account. These are known as "shadow profiles". Pix you're in but uploaded by someone else, your addresses, employer, phone, DOB, spouse, kids, etc from others who give full access to their contacts, data from public records too: driving history, how much you paid for your house, voting history, credit history, criminal records...

My tinfoil hat has a propeller on top.
  15. GhostriderIII

16. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

17. AFranklin

AFranklin New Member

It's a simple litmus test. Regardless of the interaction, ask yourself what is being sold. If you can't identify it, it's you.
    Kevin likes this.
  18. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Good article on tech's invasion of privacy...

https://www.cnet.com/news/europes-influence-over-us-tech-was-more-formidable-than-ever-in-2018/

Here's an exert on DuckDuckGo's enormous increase in users, especially in 2018...

DuckDuckGo started as a privacy-focused alternative to Google in 2008, offering a search engine that didn't track people around the internet. Its traffic had steadily been growing since, but it boomed in 2018 as Facebook's privacy issues blew up, said Gabriel Weinberg, CEO and founder of DuckDuckGo. He compared the spike in traffic to what happened after Edward Snowden's revelations in 2013 about the NSA's surveillance.
  19. GhostriderIII

Biggest problem is that even those searches are not safe fr0m prying eyes. If you view your history on web browser, you will find your search history there. Y and Aol are owned by Verizon - how safe is that? If you use FF private or Focus none of that history exists.

I used to use ddg and sp/ix - no longer
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.