Click for MotorCheck Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for JetForums Click for Glendinning

Delaminating Azimut 55s....thoughts?

Discussion in 'Azimut Yacht' started by makesumwake, Oct 28, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. makesumwake

makesumwake New Member

I was looking for a 55s and i saw this listing...

thoughts how this could happen? Azimuts are not known for this as i understand.

price is about $125k off for the damage. its on both sides. core was weak and appears to have broken off in places where the lift straps were placed when it was hauled.

Attached Files:

2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

A few years ago i stepped on board a 85/90 mutt that was rafted up to us. The sides of the swim platform were so delaminated I thought I was going thru. The captain smiled and said they had deck delamination all over

Run Forrest, run.
  4. makesumwake

makesumwake New Member

but if the seller comes down by the cost to redue the entire hull (assuming delamination everywhere), with a safe $ margin, would you consider buying?
  5. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

There is no safe margin. The boat belongs on the trash heap. Someone in the business of salvaging such boats could possibly rebuild it and then make money on it, but that's a very special skillset and business niche. You, not having the experience or knowledge, don't stand a chance.
    Kafue likes this.
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

No. You can’t just “redo the entire hull” to as new conditions at least not in an economical fashion and without adding weight. Then ask yourself: if they messed up that part of the hull, where else did they cut corners? Engine beds? Stringers? Bulkheads?

And... the resale value of the boat will Be affected. Not worth it

now, in all fairness it is possible that the yard messed up and put the slings in the wrong place. But still the value of the boat is greatly affected.
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Sadly, the only value in that hulk is the scrap value and not much in that.
    By the time the engines and any thing of value is removed, the cost to remove it, CYA insurance (liabilities of damages & pollution) the cost of transporting and disposing of the remaining waist,
    There is not much money left.
    Smile and run aweigh. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

It would be cheaper, safer, quicker, still have value and you would sleep better; if you went and purchased any other boat.
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Maybe $125k off of scrap valve would be a start. My chainsaw and I may be able to cover expenses with those terms.
    Have you Left The Building (shed) yet??
  9. makesumwake

makesumwake New Member

Thanks good to know.

My interest in it is mostly academic. I was interested in another 55S and stumbled on this one.
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Ask us about the other Mutt. Some of us will try to talk you out of that one also.

As you could guess, some of us do not have any luv for Mutts.
    A few do.
    We still talk to them most times. :D:D:D
  11. mapism

mapism Senior Member

I disagree, because even the worst imaginable slings placement could never justify/explain that disaster.

There's another possibility though, and it's that the crane (or travel lift, whatever) suffered a sudden freefall, after which it recovered the hold, causing a massive dynamic load (due to the boat weight combined with the fall acceleration) on those points of the hull.
    Sometimes, when this happens, the boat falls free down to earth, but if that would be the case also the keel and pods would be heavily damaged.
    The type of accident I'm envisaging is different, actually very rare AFAIK, and I never witnessed one.
    But I heard that there was an old travel lift model which was notorious for these random defects.

Anyhow, whatever the real story is, pretending that the normal boat value can be restored with $125k worth of patches is beyond a joke.

PS: not that it matters now, with the boat in those conditions, but also the way the chocks are arranged and placed cries out for justice.
    What sort of Mickey Mouse yard is that?
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
  12. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

The yard knows it is a total and not using all resources for proper blocking.
    In the mean time, storing inside for max storage billing.

BTW, water still draining from fractures.
  13. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Whenever we haul hour the yards always ask for the builders plans and usually have diver making sure the slings are in the right spot. Serious business
  14. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Standard protocol.

Here's a side shot of the 55 Sport. Based on the delam pic above, looks like CG would be center of the Rubik's cube windows. To me, it looks like the slings were properly placed.

The frustrating part about this is the level of education available to boat builders from the composite manufactures. It comes down to shoddy workmanship.

Attached Files:

15. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Do you even know who owns the boat now. Previous owner or insurer or yard? And who has liens on the boat. In a strange irony I can see the yard damaging it, an insurer paying for it and now the yard having a sizable lien on it. Who knows?
  16. makesumwake

makesumwake New Member

boat has been sitting in the yard for 2 years i was told
  17. makesumwake

makesumwake New Member

im aware! how do you feel about the new sunseekers? i was at the Fort Lauderdale boat show today. the sunseekers def caught my eye. and the new galeon 510 sky was really cool. basically a transformer boat. never seen anything like that before. once it was all set up, the 510 galeon felt like a much larger boat.
    JadePanama likes this.
  18. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I Can not help here. To new and no hands-on here in the swamps on any of these recent models.
    Hopefully some of the kids here can help on these questions.
  19. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Yeah, I also said it doesn't matter anymore, on that boat.
    But it seems to me that there is a an identical (way too narrow and inelastic) pile of chocks under the bow of the boat in background.
    Which smells of generalized incompetence, rather than disregard of just an already doomed boat.
  20. JadePanama

JadePanama Member

While not at the show (was booked and life got in the way), I was in Ft Laud a few months ago on several Galeons and I will say I was shockingly pleased. I was expecting more of a Mutt experience, but the build felt good and love the out of the box thinking that adds space. All depend on how you will use the boat, but if you are looking for a somewhat local cruiser that feels bigger than it is... I would highly consider it.