Click for YF Listing Service Click for Delta Click for Abeking Click for Mulder Click for Ocean Alexander

Cruising Engine Temp?

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by Dream Catcher, Jul 20, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

If the boats been sitting the impeller can have all the fins, but they will be dry & stiff. They'll start breaking off soon thereafter.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

In rare cases the rubber part of the impellor could break free from the bronze hub it is molded to. The bronze hub will spin, but the rubber impellor part will not. It sounds like the impellor is bad judging by your statement that it ran fine the last time it was used. If the impellor is old, when you start the engine, one blade will break free and spin around in there and take out a few others.
  3. Dream Catcher

Dream Catcher New Member

Good Mourning,
    I went down to the marina last night and and did some stuff.. first I removed the water intake hose where it clamps to the heat exchanger and started the motor and it had about the pressure of a garden hose about half on. I also noticed something else, the antifreeze line has little 90 degree pvc elbow coming off it and it leads to the front of the boat, Im guessing it goes to the water heater or air conditioner? I ran out of daylight so Ill have to track it down tonight, has anyone ever had a promlem the air conditioner or whatever that line leads to causing the lines to be pluged or bad?
  4. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

The only one mourning around here is Carl because he woke up old yesterday. At least he woke up though.

Was that flow at idle? If you run the engine rpm up you should get about 3 to 4 times the flow. Try blocking the flow and see if you get a good pressure rise. Check the flow on the outlet side of the heat exchanger, that will tell you if it is blocked. How is the water flow out the exhaust? Are you getting a lot of steam when running under a high load?

That little elbow shouldn't be PVC, especially if it is a 90* fitting. It probably goes to your water heater. If you have lots of hot water when the engine is running, that part of the loop is OK. If not then no big deal as far as the engine is concerned. The water heater actually helps remove heat because heat from the coolant is what is transferred to the water to make it hot. You should have an isolation valve on each end of that circuit at the engine so you can close them off when that fitting fails.
  5. Dream Catcher

Dream Catcher New Member

Cool, thanks I figured that line was for something like that, Ill get her warmed up and check the hot water, then check the out flow hose. I got a new gasget for the heat exchanger so i was planning on cleaning it out tonight.