Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Northern Lights Click for Abeking Click for Burger Click for Comfort

Crew Prejudice? nationality's etc

Discussion in 'Yacht Crews' started by Deckie123, Jan 13, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

Knowledge

Experience does not equal knowledge, knowledge does not need experience.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Knowledge is the result of experience.
  3. 'RoundTheHorn

'RoundTheHorn Senior Member

But of course book smart does not equal street smart or sea smart - put that knowledge to a practical test and see if you truly understand what you think you know.
  4. Andrew B.

Andrew B. Member

The journey

"The longest journey of mankind is from the academic to the experiential"

So said a old mechanical engineer I had the privilege of being friends with for a
    good number of years. Passed on, but not forgotten.
  5. GrahamF

GrahamF Senior Member

I am sorry to open up this thread again. I have seen in the last few months that there is a racial issue with in the yachting as well. The reason me saying this is that i have a friend who was part of the Americas Cup team for Team Shosholoza (South Africa). Since the Cup Has finished he has been looking to get into the yachting side off things, either getting into the classic racing or just crew member on a sailboat. He has all the qualifications needed. He has registered with several agencies who told him to go and to the introductory engineering course. He did what they said but still no luck. He is originally from Senegal with South African residence and he will be receiving his permanent Spanish Residence in January.

I have seen a few crew members with less experience getting job before him. He is in his mid twenties, doesn't smoke or drink alcohol and as fit as can be.

I know there are not many black sailers around in the industry which makes it even more difficult to try and get a job.
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I'm shocked.:eek: :cool:
  7. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

8. GrahamF

GrahamF Senior Member

Sarcasm doesn't suite you. I made a comment of what i noticed. Race issues are always a sensitive topic and not spoken of to much. So please NYCAP123 if you don't have anything decent to say then don't post anything. Yes and please enlighten us on point no. 5 as you always have something to say about foreigners working on American Flagged boats. That must have popped your little bubble.
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I used short sarcasm because, if I elaborated on the subject of prejudice there may have been flames coming off the page. In this country, which boasts of being progressive we still have places where blacks, Irish, Catholics, Jews, women and many others are not welcome. Many Country Clubs and Yacht Clubs are high on that list. I recently spent 11 days on a transport made completely intolerable by the bigoted SOB who owned the boat. He thought his jokes, etc. were cute. I fought the urge to deep 6 him. That is not to say that certain generalities are not based on fact, but those who allow those generalities to rule their judgement are fools.
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Regarding point 5, I believe a couple of words are missing causing it to be an apples to oranges comparrison:
    5. Don’t be fooled, however, by the “foreign flag” flying from the stern. Which flag the ship flies is not determinative and not mentioned in the B-1 rules. A megayacht registered in Liberia and docked 11 months a year in Ft. Lauderdale is not “sailing out of a foreign port” and will not qualify to hire undocumented foreign yacht crew while in U.S. waters. A U.S.-flagged yacht that spends eight months a year in Cannes, France does sail out of a foreign port when it cruises during the winter in Florida; and the U.S. owner will be able to keep his French crew while in the U.S. on B1 visas. However he will not be permitted to hire undocumented workers while in U.S. waters. I believe properly documented foreign workers are welcome to hire onto either vessel in U.S. waters.
  11. ombreetsoleil

ombreetsoleil Senior Member

I am not sure if this is the correct thread to post this.

I found this video in the internet.
    Please believe me when I say "I am not prejudice" But I was kinda shocked after watching this video.

I believe that we are all equal. Just to make clear.

Muslim Demographics - YouTube
  12. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

My response to that is a resounding "SO WHAT". In the United States we've hated and feared blacks, Chinese, Italians, Irish, Jews, French, Japanese and Germans . Today it's Hispanics and Muslims, and I'm sure I've missed a lot of cultures we've hated and feared. We seem to find no shortage of reasons to hate and fear. The Europeans coming to "the New World" didn't find anything wrong with stealing the land and freedoms of our Native Americans. The fact is that most Muslims, just like most Christians and Jews are peaceful people who just want a home and food on their table. However politicians have used prejudice to fuel their ambitions throughout time. It's ridiculous. The human race will evolve and assimilate as it does. If all cultures would take a stance that any politician (or religious leader) who pushes for war should be required to send their spouse and children to the front lines FIRST it wouldn't matter what color or creed the population was. We'd have a lot less hate and fear. Unfortunately religion, for all the good it does, has been responsible for more genocide than any other factor in history. Bottom line though is that it all boils down to greed. People wanting more money and more power.
  13. AlfredZ

AlfredZ Senior Member

Hi,

I am not into these kinds of posts, but this message in the report made me laugh a bit... It concentrated on "Immigration" because it is currently an issue all around the world, yet the growth, (and therefore decline), of any religion is measured by birth into it, death in it and conversion from/to it. Converts will retain their culture, so the fall of a 'culture' will need more than immigration and conversion. Not to mention that the decline in growth mentioned did not factor other faiths (regardless of their growth rate they still are factors in that declination).

Want a solution? No need for one! Embrace your religion and change YOURSELF! (to the better of course!) Religion must be left out of politics and propaganda.

Don't mean to offend anyone and I have friends that I am proud of from all walks of life and all around the world, we interact HUMANLY sans all the crap dictated by those seeking wealth and power on everybody else's blood!

Cheers,
    Al