Click for JetForums Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for Burger

Crew Prejudice? nationality's etc

Discussion in 'Yacht Crews' started by Deckie123, Jan 13, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. geoffreyA

geoffreyA New Member

I found it a bit demoralizing today when an OOW instructor informed me that many insurance co's aren't allowing US crew as we are so likely to sue...I've never had that problem before but would rather avoid it.

I'm in a position where I can have some influence over decisions regarding flag state and insurance on a new build. Any advise? Any reputable companies which may be more lenient towards a handicap such as being US? Boat is 30m, will cruise Med/Mideast, private, classed RINA.

Thanks
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I suspect that would have diplomatic channels buzzing. Sounds like old fashioned America bashing. You might want to check further.
  3. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

The following is from a post I made to another forum not too long ago:

Likely to sue?

"The last time anyone published a study (that I could find) of the worldwide rate of litigations per capita was in 1998:

The US was a distant #5 behind Germany, Sweden, Israel, and Austria. It was followed closely by the UK. at #6

Since that study was published, the rate per capita of personal injury lawsuits in the US has dropped by a reported 80 percent due to changes in tort law. Litigation overall dropped considerably but not to the same extent as the lawsuits used as an excuse for not hiring Americans.

As usual, the facts aren’t half as much fun to quote and misquote as gut feelings or other personal prejudices that make people feel better about their own bigotry."

Litigation rates around the world. (Source:

Wollschlager C 1998 Exploring global landscapes of

litigation rates. In: Brand J, Strempel D (eds.)

Soziologie des Rechts: Festschrift fur Erhard

Blankenburg zum 60. Geburtstag. Nomos, Baden-

Baden, Germany, pp. 587±88)
  4. geoffreyA

geoffreyA New Member

Thanks guys, I feel much better. Interesting data marmot, I would never have guessed it.

NYC you're right, the whole notion gives me something to look into.

The recent Yacht Report has a short article pointing out the ups and downs of different flag states and mentions the white-gray-black list ranking assigned to many countries, which is used to determine who gets extra attention when in port. The last white list was made in 2001. Its really interesting who is on it and who is not.

http://www.imo.org/Newsroom/contents.asp?topic_id=67&doc_id=1026

edit- I should mention the instructor was speaking from experience, not being a jerk...
  5. symphara

symphara New Member

The number of litigations alone is not very meaningful. The average cost would be good to know as well, perhaps in the case of US you stand to lose a lot more money.
  6. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Well said

Well said!!!
  7. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Oh Really!!!

What a Blooodyy Good Chap you must be! Jolly good to watch the young girls & boys (English speaking ofcourse) No FORIEGNERS for GOODNESS SAKES my good fellow?
    What the heck would you want to buy a yacht large enough to have a crew if your attitude is so NARROW that you can't see past the "culture" over your own little back garden? Would you only cruise to locations that only spoke English & ate meat pies & lamb chops? Might as well stay on a ferry in the harbour.
    Ironic you are from NZ, I found them to be great travellers & acclimatise very quickly to anywhere! BOORING! and no..... the extra "O" was not a spell mistake.
  8. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,
    mmmmmmm I will take peas and mash with the first and Mint Sauce, Green Beans, Boiled Spuds and Onion Gravy with the second.

What time will it be served?
  9. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

G'Day

Hi Mate!
    Thought you might drop a note! Like I said, this guy is not my idea of a Kiwi!
    Would you care for some good NZ plonk with that Sir?:D
    Have a good day, its 22:30 here
    Cheers
  10. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

This will go well with either dish.

http://www.chardfarm.co.nz/index.php/ps_pagename/winedetail?pi_wineid=335491

It might be 22.30 and dark where you are but it is a stunningly warm - 4 Degs C here up from an eye watering - 14.4 this morning with worse forecast for tonight.

On the original thread subject: I just had a chat with an old shipmate of mine who is now a yachtie. He is looking for a C Eng with a specific nationality list preferred not for any more sinister reason than he says in his experience these people can fix stuff better and fit in with the other 30 bodies living in the steel box. The job require a Class 1 Motor Ticket so there aren't an over abundance of those knocking around in yachting anyway regardless of the nationality.
  11. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

4 degrees NUTS

Hi,
    Thanks for the link.
    As for the thread subject, I need to be careful not to go "off thread" so much as I really am more of a learner than a commentator. No issue with logical reason for picking a Nationality, just found that NYCAP123 had hit the nail on the head with his 2nd post re: bigots.
    Let's all be honest, certain Nationalities have discerning qualities. It is when those that feel they are the SUPERIOR ALTOGETHER in all respects and abuse the rights of others that it gets to nasty situations, like riots, war, All Blacks feeling sore about never winning the Rugby....hahahaha
    Stay warm my friend!
  12. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Who ever said that smart people can't be bigots too?
  13. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Some things are mutually exclusive. Knowledgeable does not equal smart.
  14. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Bigots

Point taken.
    Henry Ford
    Rockefeller.
    Jan Smuts.
    General Haig.
    etc etc
  15. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

A personal epiphany?
  16. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Learned very early at the knee of some very knowledgeable people the world would have been better without.
  17. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Relations of yours by any chance?:)
  18. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Some, but there are plenty to go around. :cool:
  19. Tex999

Tex999 New Member

Hi KIWI,

I come from an English (most of us) speaking commonwealth country. I never had to take a test for English for a MCA CEC.

As far as English for STCW95 certificates - it is in their (IMO/STCW95) regulations for watch keepers.

FYI, if Henning is who I think he is, you may want to pay attention to what he says as he is more experienced than the rest of us combined.

And yes I have been discriminated against - for being ex-merchant, for not being Australian or English, for my age, for not spending all my earning on alcohol and drugs and for being (my favourite) "over qualified".

J
  20. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Must be someone else then.