Click for Furuno Click for YF Listing Service Click for Ocean Alexander Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn

Complete Running Pair 12v92TTA DDEC, Gears and Controls

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade' started by DOCKMASTER, Nov 23, 2020.

1. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

SOLD (nearly gave them away). Package is headed to Texas.
  2. Maverica

Maverica New Member

Packaged received. They are replacing 12v71s in this 1969 Hatteras. She is a 50' sportfish convertible with a 14.5' beam and is rated at 32 tons. I am doing a restomod on her to keep her good looks and to increase her efficiency and performance (I will be doing some minor hull modifications). She could only ever do about 18knots and I considered vta28 Cummins (I even bought one to convert it for installation), but the fuel system is the weakness for these Cummins and would require a lot of reengineering (its happening regardless) and weight reduction. Giving serious consideration to DockMaster's "very attractive" bargain, its hard to beat two cycle detroits which produce a lot of reliable power when operated with competency - meaning to maintain, warm up, and cool down. And they fit with little modifications. I love the 12v71s but their output is limited by air cooling (why they need to rev) and piston pin location. The 92 series have a lot of hidden modification from evolution that maintain the bearing oil film and reduce piston sideloads that the 71 series doesn't have. My main consideration however was the lack of cylinder movement at higher power levels that plague larger engines. Add the precision of electronics, purpose built transmissions, and inexpensive parts, and its hard to beat them with any brand including cat. I like them so much I have an 8v92 from an Oshkosh tank puller sitting under the back seat of my F750 pickup. Thanks Dockmaster.
  3. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Thanks for posting. Glad they went to a good home and a great project. You got a smokin' deal on a very good condition set of engines and gears and I'm happy to have them out of my warehouse :). Hopefully seeing them first hand now you are happy with your purchase? Sounds like you are.

I recommend you start a new thread and detail your repower project with descriptions, photos and progress. There is a tremendous amount of knowledge on this forum and everyone was hugely helpful when I did my repower as well as many other upgrades I have done.
    cleanslate and Capt Ralph like this.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

If I knew these engines were to be near given away, I would of shopped for a shipping quote myself. But from the other side of the world (there to here), could have been the bank bruise.
    Still fun to think of things.
    Was just down talking to my 12V71TIs yesterday. Still pondering a 100HP update.
  5. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member