Click for Abeking Click for Mag Bay Click for Glendinning Click for Westport Click for Ocean Alexander

Chiller recommendations

Discussion in 'HVAC' started by Danvilletim, May 11, 2019.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

The best question has been asked. Does the problem persist when under generator power? Eliminate voltage as a variable.
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Cruisair chillers start up with amps ramping up slowly and smoothly. No jump no peak. I ve set up the main page of our monitoring system to include bar graphs for amps pulled and I can see when either start by the slow increase (over a couple of seconds). That’s the whole point of VFDs
  3. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Exactly, VFD's simultaneously ramp voltage and Hz. up slowly as to alleviate hard start current in-rush. Scroll compressors start with unloader valves open and make even less initial load with VFD's.
  4. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Agreed. The Technicold units spin up gently, and I can watch my amperage draw dial up with them. There is no spike. There is no old fashioned start load jump.
  5. Danvilletim

Danvilletim Senior Member

Of course no dips or errors in voltage for last 3 days. We are running a light ship with no water heater or freezer, etc. so 100a is fine.

It would be cool if you could record the dip in voltage at the pedestal with some kind of recorder.
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

If you have monitoring system like we do you can adjust the low voltage alarms to record when it happens.

Otherwise increase amps by adding loads to see if you can duplicate the error
  7. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Fluke and Tripp make a voltage data logger scope that you can clip the leads to your L-1 & L-2 buss and it will record voltage and amperage up to 72 hours. Of course these loggers are relatively expensive and wouldn't belong in a yachts tool box so any good marine electrical outfit will have one to assist you in getting a good 72 hour graph of what's happening.
  8. wdrzal

wdrzal Senior Member

Technically if this is the case you have a VVVFD (variable voltage, variable frequency drive). This coupled with a technology Honeywell first patented, VAV/VT (variable air volume /variable temperature), produces the ultimate in comfort ,low noise and efficiency .
  9. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

A heads up for those that have a Aqua Air Marine AC system, my ac tech said he was told by one of their big S Florida dealers they are closed. We suspected something was wrong, we have been waiting for 6 weeks after ordering a fan unit for one of our air handlers and nobody was answering the phone or responding to emails about shipping.