Click for Glendinning Click for Mulder Click for Mag Bay Click for Burger Click for Perko

Cabo Express Electrolysis

Discussion in 'Cabo Yacht' started by BillManthorne, Nov 11, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. BillManthorne

BillManthorne Member

Well, the first step of the analysis is done... many of the bonding connections were bad. Those are getting cleaned/replaced and then they move onto checking the ground side of the system. After that.... I have to wait until spring to put it back in the water and do the final tests.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Keep us posted when you launch the boat in the spring and do the rest of it. I'd really like to see what the cause was.
  3. BillManthorne

BillManthorne Member

Here's the latest update. The marine electric company went through the bonding system and found many corroded and faulty connections. The entire system was replaced. Next step is to check each of the systems to see if they find stray current.
  4. BillManthorne

BillManthorne Member

Well... its been a long nasty winter. The boat is finally back in the water and the testing has been completed. A faulty Rule Bilge Pump is to blame. For some reason this automatic (the kind that cycles on for a couple seconds and shuts off it no water is found) little pump that is designed to keep the engine room bilge as dry as possible shorted out, but never blew the in-line fuse. Because of this, the DC current was leaking out and fryed my bonding system, zincs and successfully ruined 2 props.... Needless to say this $80 pump has cost me upwards of $18k in repairs and ruined wheels. UN F.....ING Believable.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that your cause was such a cheap part and cost you so much. It's amazing sometimes, what little things cause such a big mess. I've seen a $5 plastic elbow on the freshwater system break and flood an entire interior and ruin it. Good to hear though that you got to the bottom of it.
  6. RER

RER Senior Member

...insurance?
  7. BillManthorne

BillManthorne Member

Another summer gone by. Good news... the electrolysis issue is fixed. Bad bilge pump and bad bonding system. All set now.
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Great to hear.... I remember you were pulling your hair out and wallet with it before.....
  9. BillManthorne

BillManthorne Member

Thanks...I hate electrical issues... :)