Click for Westport Click for Mag Bay Click for Mulder Click for Northern Lights Click for Perko

Cabo dripless shaft seals

Discussion in 'Cabo Yacht' started by CSkipR, Mar 13, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Is the $180 US or NZ Dollars?

If you can get the front plate off which they say can be used in an emergency to hold a packing in place you should be able to wipe the front face of the seal and read the dimensions off it, if not you should be able to measure the bore and shaft accurately enough to go to a bearing shop and see if you can buy the seal on it's own.

I would be surprised if it were a proprietary seal in use by such a small volume manufacturer.
  2. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

What did you find?
  3. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

The boat is still in the yard but the shaft is straight so it must be the bronze body is cocked or maybe the lipseal is going bad. It does not leak. Going to let it go for awhile and see what happens.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I've bought those seals for a Cabo before and that was the only boat manufacturer I've run across that used that brand. Yes, the seal is $180 and unbelievable in price. I think Cabo switched over to a different brand several years ago.

If the boat is out of the water and the shaft has been dropped, you might want to consider changing the whole dripless out with a PSS or similar.
  5. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Like K1W1 wrote, the chances of that being a proprietary seal are so slim as to be not worth considering, if it was it would cost a lot more than $180. Pull the old one and take it to a good hydraulic shop and they will supply you with a $5 replacement.

That is good advice.
  6. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Bluewater Dripless Shaftseal

Put the boat back in the water today and that **** starboard seal starting leaking. So had boat pulled and blocked so now have to pull shaft to place lipseal on. Okay they are definitely BlueWater Shaft seals that are made in NZ. Anyone know who might sell the lipseals in the US?
  7. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Any good hydraulic shop. Many auto parts stores, online Seals-R-Us stores ... they are as common as door dings in a Fort Lauderdale parking lot.

Just pull the old one, look at the numbers, or take it with you to a hydraulic shop.

I see my last post to you has vanished ... make sure you look at the babbit bearing inside that p.o.s. seal and you will probably find it is worn at both ends (hourglass shaped) from the shaft whipping.

The seal is a victim, not the perpetrator, of your problems.
  8. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Bluewater Dripless Shaftseal

Marmot,
    Are you saying beside the lipseal there is a babbit bearing inside the housing that could be causing the problem? If so are those replaceable or do you need a whole new housing. On your advice i'm going to go ahead and pull the shaft to check it. Unfortunately I have nice new prop speed on it which will have to remove to check straightness.
  9. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

10. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

K1W1
    I do have the Chatfield Shaft seal on the boat except mine is not the commercial one. I believe the one you are showing is the commercial one and my is the standard. go to www.chatfieldmarine.com, driveline, shaft seal, standard. Any comments are welcome.
  11. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  12. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

I figured you might not have the commercial one which is why I wrote It's a pity you don't have one of these before posting the link.

Marmot, You got a better cross section of the seal assy than I found on their website, I must say the www conn on my IPhone isn't very good from the bottom of a 8000 gal black water tank or I would have replied sooner :).

I hate those sandblasting inspections with a vengeance.
  13. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

It isn't your iPhone, Chatfield doesn't provide that drawing on its website. That is why the link goes to another supplier.

The cynical Marmot believes the manufacturer doesn't really want anyone to know what the weak points are.

I don't know but I suspect it would cost more than it's worth to renew the liner. As a matter of opinion, I believe it costs more than it's worth to put a $5 seal in the thing. I believe someone else mentioned that Cabo no longer uses that style. If that is the case, their reasoning is becoming obvious.
  14. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

CSKIPR- If you go the Chatfield Marine website there is a place where you can make an online enquiry.

There is also a phone number that you can call if you can get your timing right.

I think that at the moment if you are GMT -5 in Florida at 1700 local time it will be will be around 1000 the next morning in NZ as NZ is GMT + 12 at the moment.

This means you could call them this afternoon and might find someone there on a Saturday morning.

It looks in that drawing that Marmot found that the white metal brg is only used to hold the seal in a straight line with the shaft, Marmots suggestion that it may be goosed at the ends is a pretty valid one given how it is actually constructed.
  15. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Return the seals from where you bought them, drop the shaft and replace the entire assembly with a PSS brand or other.

On another note, if a PSS seal is leaking while the boat is just sitting at the dock, does trying to move the metal donut further down ever stop the water flow, or is the ceramic disk inside usually shot?
  16. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

We have pulled the shaft and have taken it to a prop shop to have them check it. If its bent then I would assume that caused the problem although I don't understand why it didn't create a problem earlier. If the prop is bent it has probably been that way since I purchased the boat 2 yrs ago. We found a local bearing shop that has the lip seals. Will keep you posted.
  17. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

If the seal is not setup correctly, yes, that may stop the leaking. There is supposed to be a preload on the seal that is set by moving the rotating collar 3/4" to 1" aft against the stationary seal element. The bellows takes up the compression and supplies the sealing force. If it is set too "loose" it could be the reason for the leak.

If the face of the seal shows any wear or damage applying more compression won't help.
  18. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Blue Water Shaft Seal

Okay here's what we did. Boat yard pulled shaft and checked it for straightness. It had two places in it where it was 3mm out of round. They found the exact same seal that BW uses for less than $20. Cabo wanted $169 for seal only. Reinstalled seal and shaft and everything is back in working order. No more wobble.
  19. The Right Kind

The Right Kind New Member

Hi, I'm new here and very glad I found this thread.
    I have a Cabo 31 express and I have been trying to find the manufacture of these shaft seals forever. When I first bought this boat 6 years ago used, I bought new seals from Cabo @ $125 ea. After that I found that they are just Walker lip seals and can be had for under $25 on line. I felt like a real sucker.
    One seal started leaking again so I considered changing them out for the PYI PSS. However, I checked 2 other Cabo owners in my marina, a 2006 and a 2008 and they both have the Blue Water shaft seals. So I guess Cabo feels these are still the go to seals. I also found out from a local marine mechanic that the cap on top should be filled with grease and tighten down from time to time to keep the seal lubed. If they start to drip just tighten the grease cap a bit.
    So I'm going to stay with these seal for now and see how it goes.
    Gary
  20. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

The manufacturer name is Chatfield Marine and they are located in New Zealand or Australia. I called Cabo and they wanted $189 for the seal. The boatyard I use bought 5 Parker seals for $100. I also thought about changing mine out for PSS but decided to stay with these. When you say the cap do you mean removing the two bolts and putting grease in there. Mine have lasted approx 5 yrs so will stay with them.