Click for Walker Click for Abeking Click for Mag Bay Click for YF Listing Service Click for Ocean Alexander

Bow Thruster - Ratings and Reviews

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Thisisit, Jul 10, 2022.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

I don't want to de-rail this thread but I would like to know how you keep crap from growing on a seldom used thruster prop.
    I run my boat every chance I get to keep stuff from growing on my gear which works pretty well, with or without zinc coatings.
    Just curious what your secret is.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

PropSpeed and/or a diver.
  3. Thisisit

Thisisit Member

Prop speed and fresh water is my trick ;)
  4. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

I’m in cold water with a short season. Growth is pretty much a non-issue regardless of thruster use or any other U/W hull items. I’ve never had a diver do anything.
  5. mapism

mapism Senior Member

By running it even if unnecessary, to start with. Or is there any reason why you couldn't?
    That's part of my normal routine whenever I'm not moving the boat for some time.
    As well as running the mains (putting then also in gear briefly) and genset.
  6. fogcutter50

fogcutter50 New Member

I thought like a lot of the other captains that real skippers don't need no thruster! Then I bought a boat that had one....... Since then I have had them installed on two other boats that I bought. You don't need them often but they sure are nice when you need them. I bought a 50ft. Hatteras last fall and at 75 I decided to put both a bow and stern thruster on (variable speed) because I don't want her to jump off the boat when we dock to tie up the boat. With a variable speed thruster I can lay the boat against the dock or lock and set both on low power and I can leave the helm with a remote and I can get on the dock and she can hand me the lines and everyone is is happy.
    bayoubud likes this.
  7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

There is no need to jump off the boat to tie lines. This is way too dangerous and just plain amateurish. Lines should be secured from the deck.

if the dock has cleats, you throw the bight of the line behind the cleat on the dock and then pull the bitter end back to the boat. If the dock has pilings, you pass the line around the piling and back as well.

that s how we ve been doing it for years on our personal 53 Hatt MY or the boats we run, including the 110 Lazzara we run now. Nobody gets off the boat until it is secured. It s much easier and safer
  8. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Even though I’ve been docking commercial ships and boats for 36 years now add me to the amateur club I guess. I have no idea how one would reasonably get a line around a cleat and pull the boat over in the manner you suggest. And if you’re on a bow of a sport fisher with little to no rail, I would worry they might fall between the boat and the dock. The footing and purchase angle someone is pulling in from the dock is better in my opinion. Now I agree that nobody should be “jumping” off and onto the dock. I pull my stern to the dock and allow a deck hand to step off the boat and onto the dock and receive lines. I also don’t have cleats, my dock has 6x6 timber bull rails you tie off to or wrap around and back to the boat.
  9. fogcutter50

fogcutter50 New Member

10. fogcutter50

fogcutter50 New Member

I always step off with a line in hand, unlike the 53 we had twenty years ago I can't walk out from the pilot house and tie off I have to come off the bridge. Since I have been single handing for over sixty years I do know how to handle a vessel, thanks for your imput.
  11. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

In all these years I have never seen a marina with such timber bull rail except dinghy docks

I can see the issue with a rail less sportfish but on a typical MY securing the lines from the deck is the safe way to do it. Once the spring is secure we just spring in and the secure the other lines.
  12. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

PNW is lousy with dock bull rails. Someone has to get on the dock to get tied up. Departure is another story if you set it up properly. One can untie then board while the deck person can retrieve lines and depart.

When you are in Portland OR Pascal, we will show you. Funny, I have not seen a marina dock with them, only public/state park docks and fuel docks.

Back to bow thrusting. If you are into this you may want to look into DockMate integration ability. I am not sure but I think SidePower variable would be super cool to tie into the main gears and throttle. Imagine being at the bow tending to the ancor with a remote "dockmate" that synchs your bow thruster to the main engine while you raise and lower anchor. Hey, if you have a few boat buck to spend anyway...
  13. menkes

menkes Member

the best way to keep it clean is a diver every 3-6 month
  14. fogcutter50

fogcutter50 New Member

The idea of intergrating with the engines would be great but your engines have to be setup for electric interface and my 692's are not. I will be very happy with what I plan to do with the two thrusters.
  15. Matt46post

Matt46post Senior Member

Any Thoughts on ABT-TRAC thrusters ? I have an opportunity to pick up a bow and stern thruster for a great deal
  16. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Excellent. I ve had their stabs on an 84 Lazzara I ran for 5 years and now on a 110 the bow thruster is ABT Trac as well, hydraulic.

Excellent service too. where are you located ? They have a great dealer in FTL, Advantage Marine Service

That said, I would bother with a stern thruster since have twin screws. Really not needed.
  17. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I managed a Hatteras 70 will all hydraulic Trac equipment.
    All good.