Click for Furuno Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Perko

Bow Strake Wings

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by Greg Page, Jul 5, 2022.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Greg Page

Greg Page Active Member

My wife did find the guy on FB with similar ones to our boat.
  2. Stainless45

Stainless45 Active Member

I've never seen them on a Post, new or old. I'd guess they're an add-on.
  3. Greg Page

Greg Page Active Member

I talked with some other owners on the Post FB group that have added more traditional spray rails, but no one has ones like on ours. One had some smaller L spray rails only on the bow portion, others ran full length of the hull.
  4. Greg Page

Greg Page Active Member

After much discussion we decided to remove the 'original owner added' spray rails. My best guess is they were put on based on experience from the early 43 hulls which did not have the second/upper spray rails which were added for the Mk-II hulls (ours is an early Mk-II). I don't know if the chine position changed when they added the upper rails or not, but could be possible looking at where the hull sides in the mold would have met the bottom.

They are now gone. Will have to wait till spring launch to see the change. Who ever installed the add-ons must have wanted to lift the whole boat by them looking at how thick the fiberglass was.

Original
    Original.jpg

Grinding them away. Check out the fiberglass thickness. It was the same on the entire add-on shape.

Partially Removed.jpg

Glass work done

Glass Work Done.jpg

Sanding for final barrier coat (hull was barrier coated by the prior owner)

Sanding Barrier Coat Composite.jpg

The full boat will be getting fresh bottom paint before launch. The current (Trinidad Pro) was still working well at haul out after 3 seasons. Decided not to try to get a 4th season and risk a mid-season haulout.

-Greg
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Thx for your update and pictures.

Questions; do you think they negatively effected the hull preforance?
    A pia at hauling?
    Coming apart?
    Just looked ugly?

Look forward to your spring report.
  6. Greg Page

Greg Page Active Member

I believe they were too low, would dive and launch a wall of water on the 3rd wave of a set. I think they also exagerated the roll when crossing waves/wakes at an angle. Looking at video of late 42 (essentially the Mk-II 43 hull) and Mk-II 46 show the original upper spray rails seem to do a good job. Video of our boat (although at below cruise speed) shows the water being pushed forward by the rails.

And yes they were ugly.