Click for JetForums Click for Cross Click for Nordhavn Click for Delta Click for Ocean Alexander

Boat sales are booming ...

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by Brian G, Jul 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

So he came through the bridge, and your RAM vessel had to and was able to stop and hold position as also the yacht behind you did. But you think he should have let the current push him backwards towards the ICW and into any other vessels that might be coming so you could come through? And how fast was this kayak paddling against the tide going that you didn't know he was coming until you were both inside the bridge? Next time run them over since you claim right of way as a RAM (although your actions proved that you weren't) and let us know how it works out captain. I'm sure your attorney will be happy for the work.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Do you have some sort of reading comprehension issues? Are you not familiar with Hillsboro Inlet? He cut across from behind the bridge pilings/breakwater where nobody could see him and into the middle and tried to go through the bridge and cut directly in front of me when I was underway at 5-6 knots and 100-150' away from him. If I didn't know better, I'd say he was attempting to commit suicide. IF I wasn't as good at running a yacht as I am, and it was your typical owner/operator he would've been killified. Same with the yacht behind me who also came to all stop very quickly. A kayak can go through either side of the bridge instead of going through the middle of the bridge.
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

What's unusual about this? Every year by Labor Day I'd be ready to run over the next person who tried to kill themselves under my bow. Fortunately here, by the time we're ready to murder, summer season ends. Idiots are all over the waterways. It's what we get paid to deal with. Yes I'm quite familiar with Hillsborough. It leads into a no wake zone where you find a ton of Sunday sailors along with a dock that has several commercial operations. When I was down there it had a dive boat, charter boats, a party boat, a para-sail and wave runner rentals. Today I'm guessing kayak and paddle board rentals. We shake our heads and pray God is still in the mood to save fools. You've never dealt with someone who pushes their way through a bridge against traffic? You stand station and give way. At least it was a little kayak and not some fool in his 80' yacht. Hillsborough Inlet is not a roaring rapids. You do what you're supposed to do, and if some fool doesn't know what he's supposed to do you give way. When dealing with things like snail boats, kayaks and wave runners you expect the unexpected. You've got a heavy, powerful, maneuverable vessel and experience. A kayak pushing against the tide has none of that. Some day try dealing with a 60' yacht running at WOT towards you in 50' viability fog not watching their radar or listening to their radio. It's what we get paid to deal with. Coming through any bridge you should expect someone to be fishing on the other side tucked behind. It's where the fish are. And you should expect them to come trolling out with no thought to anything but their bait. It's what they do. Compared to that a kayak is easy.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

What would we do without your helmsmanship lessons... thank you for the lecture and happy Independence Day.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.