Click for Abeking Click for JetForums Click for Furuno Click for Mulder Click for Northern Lights

Blown V Drives 1991 Sea Ray 420

Discussion in 'Sea Ray Yacht' started by Robs Remedy, Apr 10, 2024.

1. Cpt Sous-Leau

Cpt Sous-Leau Member

From what I see there, either the case has flexed or the pre-load has been wrong for quite a while. I think I see some gear walk in pic 2 and last pic, although without cleaning off the face of the teeth it's just a qualified guess.

Gear walk(or gear splay) is due to torque conditions or as noted above, the flex of some solid component, allowing the gears to separate somewhat under load. Beveled gears are notorious for this if the pre-load(those shims/washers behind the cone bearings) is not set perfectly, or there's been a fault in the lubrication(would like to know if it had a high shear gear lube or 'oil'), or too darn much torque.

Setting pre-load is an engineering task, and many have gotten it wrong before. Also, in this case, it doesn't look like any way to set gear mesh depth. You get what you get from the location of the shafts, and the bevel of the gears, and that's that. It's too late for tribology on the lube, but that might have told some part of the story as well.

I'm not one to say this often, but - start over with new, and get the scrap metal value out of the orig stuff(it's old, used up), don't even try to get 24 year old gear sets(bevel gears are sold in sets, never in onesy).

Good luck,
    YMMV
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

So, you water skiing yet?
  3. Robs Remedy

Robs Remedy New Member

They are still working on the gears. So the boat is still just a floating condo
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Oh Sheet..
    Rebuild/repair or replace with the later gear set?
    Or no plan yet??
  5. Robs Remedy

Robs Remedy New Member

They are Rebuilding the gears, i decided to step back and let him do his thing. If they explode then we will go down a different route. But the machinist that he is using is really good so we will see how it turns out. He is still answering every call that i make to him and keeping me informed at every update so at least i have that going for me. I know a ton of mechanics that would have cut bait and disappeared at this point.