Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn Click for Mag Bay Click for Westport Click for Mulder

Blohm & Voss News

Discussion in 'Blohm & Voss Yacht' started by Yacht News, Apr 12, 2010.

1. bigboatbill

bigboatbill Senior Member

I think Mayan Queen is a beautiful yacht and amoung my favorites. I remember being excited the first time I saw photos of her.

I think A is beautiful as a form and is one of my favorites. She reminds me metaphorically of a chopper (motorcycle). The long front end with the superstructure pushed way back and the wide flat transom relate to a chopper with it's front tire way out front on an extended frame, the rider (captain), sits way back on the frame and the back tire is extra wide and the whole bike ends very definitely at this area of width.
    Maybe Phillippe Starck should have had A painted with some flames on the bow and a skull in place of the "H" on the helipad!

Having said that, A bothers me in that a yacht that large has so little exterior space on the upper decks. The two small baclonies at the back of the superstructure seem like the balcony of a hotel room; sure the view is great but to reach the "ground" you have a long journey through the interior which includes stairs or an elevator ride. It seems A could have had some exterior deck space port, starboard and forward on these upper decks without comprimising the overall form. I do really like the massive garage with it's copious amount of space near the sea.

I am still trying to warm to Orca. I like many elements of this yacht but find her visually disjointed in side view. I will reserve any further critique until we see more of her.
  2. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Well "A" is my fav yacht currently and she does happen to be a B+V but to me proportionately for her size she does not have the expanse of sociable exterior space. The heli-pad on the fore has taken away that space. However, there is an abundance of space forward of the main saloon on the main deck and also aft of it by the big jacuzzi pool. In the superstructure there is little exterior space except the two balconies and the under the hard top forward of the funnels. For her size she does not have the kind of exterior space you would expect but you do have to remember she is 390 feet long and over 60 feet wide so she definitely isn't 'cramped' on the exterior.
  3. bigboatbill

She is definitely a beauty. I could look at her all day long. The age old argument in the the design community is "form vs. function". The architect Frank Gehry places great emphasis on form and subjugates function. The great French modernist architect LeCorbusier believed that function dictates form: "The plan is the generator". I am a believer that form should follow function. Perhaps the owner of A did not desire more exterior deck space, leaving Phillippe Starck free to sculpt this yacht in the monolithic manner. The general public may never know what the GA entailed. While A is a stunner, for a yacht this large to be so limited in its exterior connection to nature strikes me as potentially self indulgent on the part of the Starck. This statement is purely speculation and meant only as support for a design critique. A is A-OK!
  4. Yacht News

In the end, it is Mr. Melnichenco's boat and I believe he got what he wanted from Mr. Starck. Although we will never know for sure unless he said so him self. The interior is stunning and I think for me there is nothing out there so far, that has a better interior. This is just for me. The reflective surfaces that Starck created with various materials creates a feast for the eyes.
  5. bigboatbill

Agreed! The client is always right. I have visited several Starck designed hotels in NYC and his use of mirrors is extensive. The lobby of one hotel was similar to A in that it employed many mirrors and had pieces of modern furnitue strewn about. Strarch is known for employing highly detailed exotic and creative materials. Any client who hires Starck must surely know what his style entails. A's interior is not homey and cozy, and is not intended to be. A is chic and modern with an eclectic mix of antique, modern and custom pieces surrounded by reflective surfaces and beautiful materials of all variety. I must admit that I like the interior very much.
  6. Yacht News

Don't forget that wonderful link that was posted here.

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/blohm-voss-yacht/13411-blohm-voss-119m-yacht-video.html

Parts of that were photographed when "A" was here in Barbados back in February.
  7. I love 'A' just because she is totally different in exterior design, futuristic. I don't love much traditional ones, cause it is always repeated the same. If you would give millions of money away, it means, you have a chance to do something odd, a challenge, different, particular and even advanced in time. This is what i think a yacht those dimensions must be. It is why, even Abramovisch has 5 yachts and the biggest ones, all them are more or less the same, too traditional in volumes and lines. He spent more than 1 billion dollars in ships, but the exteriors sinceresly are boring, too traditional, even when are perfect done and beautiful 'small cruise ships'. It is why i like most Pelorus, even when she is the 'average' one of him. 'A' is different and has really much inside space for her dimensions, not necessary those imense open areas at all. The back hydro is tremendous good concept, shining things also and the 'granit' white-grey 'porcelain', which imo could be used in all floor instead of wood. The interior is strange. For example i like also extream clean white modern with a touch of old classy objects, like a lamp or a clock as well, much mirrors, but for some way this contrast there was too extrem old-modern and even exagerated. In master suite the bed is against the sea view, which is strange postioned and not everything straight. The other room is better. For me the deck pool should be with better call to the Hull, like a middle 'half moon' positioned and not side inclinated square one. I like assymetry as well, but how was solved seems odd. Then for such one, i would avoid dark woods at all. For interior i would have done all white-glassy-mirrored-chromed-futuristic only like 'Camino' planet of Star-Wars were. (Can't found a good pic)

Pics of interior to review what i mentioned about.

Well, i love your comparings to a 'customized chopper', it is really that a 'customized yacht' in exterior, but it should be only white-chrome. The front Mast could have done chrome. I really did not understand the black color, seems out there. No flames at all. hahaha

About Orca, ok she is big, 96m is not also few at all, but i have to confirm, the side lines were confusing. Maybe i have to see also after finished, if really was interesting... I agree with you in this point.
  8. 1. NAHLIN: Finally she left B+V in Hamburg today 25.04.2010 8:30 AM GST going to Eckernförde, north Kiel. She is travelling now in Kiel Ostkanal near Brünsbüttel. Planned to arrive tommorow.
    2. ATHENA: The small cruise ship of Portugal Classic Internacional Cruises is in DOCK 4 now for repairs. It is the second time she entered for repair in B+V that i've seen, last year also. With her, means 4 Passenger Cruise Ships at same time in all Repair Docks of B+V, never seen so many cruise ships at same time in repair. Then together yachts Orca 96m & Eclipse 162.5m, means 6 Passenger relevant big ships at Port in repair at same time. As i said before the repassing of business from Thyssen Krupp to the UAE Abou Dhabi Mar mean significance in passenger vessels beeing built and rebuilt.

A little bit of her. This was the one who sunk Andrea Doria killing 56 people on board. The good hull survived her with few injuries at bow, when the bigger died. The very good hull has interesting skirt stabilzator structure at stern. One of oldest classical cruise ships still around, fortunate.
    More here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Athena
  9. Norbiskrug & Messerschmitt

Well, i don't know where to post this. Actually i think all of what Norbiskrug, B+V and HDW Kiel could have been renamed of what is the main partner owner today Abou Dhabi Mar, because those are only remained Trade Marks. But then maybe i wrong again. What i want to say is i didn't found a specific place to post news about Norbiskrug, then here you are:

Source: Superyachts.com / messerschmitt-yachts.com

My impressions are: their look are 'military appearance' but with very interesting elements. You find good pics at google of what is a Conqueror and Bulwark 140 explorer design. Unfortunatly i can't post them here, but i remember seeing a picture of one already built.
  10. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

11. 1. Thanks, yes, i found after my lazy search, but then continues a problem it is in 'General discussion' instead of 'Motor Yachts' manufactures part. You were right, i was very lazy to write the complicated name, i don't known from where this came, with those together letters to be remembered the position of them always... :D
    Can you then make under 'Motor Yachts' a section for Nobiskrug and merge/transfer those posts or threads or do you think a bad idea? After that, you can erase this not necessary post then here.
    My research said that then: http://www.physiologus.de/nobiskrug.htm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobiskrug
    http://www.*************/ here says nothing about the name... but belongs to Abou Dhabi Mar then. I personally think all under B+V (Thyssen Krupp 20%), Nobiskrug, HDW etc. should be reviewed here in a 'Motor Yachts' > 'Abu Dhabi Mar' under-folders and then specific the threads, 'news' and so on... Well.. my opinion only. Another question I remember seeing Abou, why Abu then? International easier spelling? anyway, It could be, here you are: http://www.abudhabimargroup.com/

2. I don't either find in anyway a section of INACE in 'Motor Yachts' manufacturer as well, where is it?, references:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indústria_Naval_do_Ceará
  12. Movements today at Shipyard...

Yachts:
    1. ECLIPSE: still like before, behind Dock 12.
    2. ORCA: same position, behind Dock 5, but seems some electronics equipments working now, for example position devices, like AIS 19333.
    3. NAHLIN: after Sea Trials north Kiel, at German Navy port, she entered in a small Dock 4 where today they covered her all again. It seems they are spending some more Million costs again on her. She came to Hamburg yesterday morning. See photo below.
    4. 'Misterious' covered yacht: There is another totally covered one u/c. See picture below. I don't know what it is, but K1W1 maybe knows, i suppose. It is behind Dock 11.

Passenger Ships:
    1. Color Fantasy went away.
    2. Balmoral went away today morning.
    3. Braemar, Fred Olsen, is now in Dock 10 for repair.
    4. Celebrity Constellation still in same situation in Dock 17 with strong refit.
    5. Athena went away also yesterday.

Observation: i post only the yacht pictures here, but if someone has other special interest, in seeing, please write me.

Other comments:
    Lürssen Radiant seems near Bremenhaven about the Sea Trials.

1. Nahlin, 2. Nahlin, Orca, Eclipse 3. Mystery yacht.

Attached Files:

13. Yacht News

Why does the top tier of "Orca's" bow look a sandy colour or is the a reflection from somewhere?
  14. i think it is something like a previous primer, like they did in eclipse, but then the result of final painting was white. Actually seems like she is 'empty' because seems not all inside water.
  15. Yacht News

Well there is a protective finish that the yards use now to put over the paint job and they only remove it around sea trials time. Well "Orca" was only recently launched so she has alot of weight to add, so it is not surprising that she might be riding high.
  16. Yacht News

17. wonderful photo found YN, yes, this was the situation 1 week ago. Now you see all position of what where were. Nahlin is where this CMA CGM Container ship was.

Aditional news:
    1. Braemar entered at evening, GMT 18:07.
    2. Color Magic, sister of Color Fantasy, enter tommorow evening at Dock 11 for repair, GMT 17:00.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2010
  18. Important:

7, 8 & 9 of May is Ship Party Port in Hamburg. It means you will have some aerials and many photos around, where among many ships and small yachts floating, you will see at B+V repair those mainly:
    Celebrity Constellation, Braemar, Color Magic, 'Yacht Covered', 'Nahlin Covered', Orca $ Eclipse. More about here
  19. Yacht News

I'm sure most people know about this already but just incase we have some that don't...

***​

http://www.cmnyacht.com/news000115d2.php
  20. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

From what I understand it is the Naval Ship Knowledge in particular the Submarine information that HDW has that has been the main stumbling block to the "sale" being completed.