Click for Burger Click for Furuno Click for Perko Click for Westport Click for Cross

Bitten by the boat bug

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by RobJeffDC, Jul 7, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Try to think of all the " worst case scenarios " and how to recitfy them now while your not PO'd at each other.
    Then get it in writing.
    Some folks really like the close comradarie.
    I don't, and I like my privacy.
    When I was 20 or so I had a 25 foot boat made to sleep 4 at most and we often had 8 or more on board sleeping where they fell..........

Now we have a boat capable of sleeping 8 or so and there are never more than 2 on board, those being me & my wife........

As has been stated here the boat will get small fast with many people on board.....
  2. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

P.S. congratulations on getting the bug.
    As Marmot said, it is not fatal and if it were, I can think of worse ways to go....
  3. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

I used to work on one boat owned by 2 brothers.

Each time we took one of the brothers out he used to plan it so that on return the tanks would be almost dry and the other brother had to refill it for the next trip. Likewise with the other brother. Boy, did we do some miles island-hopping for no good reason.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Ah yes! Choose your partners well. Now here's some advice that I'm sure few will follow: Keep it small enough that it doesn't matter or big enough that it pays to hire someone to manage and keep the books. Fish's "brothers" are all too common.
  5. FatPauly

FatPauly New Member

Have you considered renting a boat with your friends to try things out? We rented a Marine Trader trawler from Blue Goose Charters in Baltimore last fall and that proved well worth the money. They have a small fleet that should suit your needs. Also I think there are other places that rent bigger boats in the MD/VA area.
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Welcome to YF FatPauly. That's very good advice. It's a great way to gain experience while figuring out if it's for you and what will best suit your needs.
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

a 37' Silverton aft cabin has a nice layout and 2 large berths.

When the boat leaves the dock it's full of fuel and when it comes back it's full of fuel is the best policy. Then it's always ready anytime you want to use it.......whether the fuel dock is open or not.......

Renting a boat is great advice.......it gives you a lot of ideas on what you really want and need.......