Click for Northern Lights Click for Glendinning Click for Comfort Click for Burger Click for Westport

BIG Sail Boats!

Discussion in 'General Sailing Discussion' started by YachtForums, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Rene GER

Rene GER Senior Member

2. viking 58

viking 58 YF Historian

Newport summer 2002

here is a one of my favorite big sail boats, INDEPENDENCE. and IMAGINE next to it isnt too bad either.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2005
  3. Rene GER

Rene GER Senior Member

Here is the Website of the Schooner Yacht Coronet
  4. Rene GER

Rene GER Senior Member

The beauty Canica. She is a new one in the list of my favourites.

Attached Files:

5. Antonio Torres

Antonio Torres Member

Hinkley Souwester 70

The Hinkley Souwester 70

Attached Files:

6. gomaarten

gomaarten Guest

The beautiful Athena in Antibes, may 2005

Attached Files:

• j027.jpg
      j027.jpg
      File size:
      37.1 KB
      Views:
    • maar.jpg
      maar.jpg
      File size:
      44.2 KB
      Views:
  7. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

One of his many beautiful pieces of art, if not the ultimate pinnacle of his work...

...Godspeed Wolter. You will surely be missed.
  8. YachtForums

A 107' Sloop built by John Alden. This is "Toto". Docked near 17th Street Causeway in Port Everglades. (June 2005)

Attached Files:

9. viking 58

viking 58 YF Historian

Does anyone know any information about the INDEPENDENCE which i posted pictures of?
  10. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Independence is a very nice Perini, 53 m long and built in 1998. I happened to see her at the shipyard when she was almost finished and the only thing I miss from some other Perinis is the raised wheelhouse. Here you have it forward in the deckhouse instead, which of course gives a lower profile.

You have three double and two twin bedded guest cabins and aft is the owners apartment. Yes, it is no less, with a large study with sofas and the bedroom divided by double doors that can open up to full beam. Behind is the bathroom and a dressing room and if you go further aft it is a private gym.

Almost at the stern you have a big hatch in the port side, giving a landing platform for the tenders that are hidden under the fore deck, and inside of this virtual beach there is also a small pilot cabin!

Another secret is the subdeck running the whole way under the accommodations allowing the crew to get around without disturbing the guests.

With cherry interior in a classic styling she is absolutely one of the nicest yachts you can think of. Good choice!
  11. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

As you might have been interested in how a big sail boat can be planned, I will again show you this design concept from 1997.

The "Independence" above has the engine room low in the center of the yacht, but most of the Perinis have them aft as in this design. It gives a little less space for guest cabins, but many other advantages.

This yacht also have a passage-way for crew under all the cabins and there deep down under the waterline is a library/cinema/music room as well as cold rooms for storage of food and also garbage forward. Adjacent to the engine room is two cabins for engineer and deck hands.

The owners accommodation above is almost as in the Independence but turned around so the landing platform is in the center of the yacht. Further forward is two double and one twin guest cabin and then follows the crew mess and four cabins.

In the streamlined deckhouse is the bridge next to a formal dining area followed by the galley and the main salon. Aft deck is partly covered by the flybridge, it can be enclosed and serves as a second big living area. The raised aft deck hides the two big tenders while a crew tender and PWC:s are on fore deck.

On the flybridge you have all the tools for the automatic sails, a jacuzzi and sun bathing area. On the rigging, this furling fishermans sail in between the masts, should probably be replaced by a more efficient main sail but otherwise I think she is still up to date... :)

/Lars

Attached Files:

12. techmati

techmati Senior Member

wally yacht YAM

Attached Files:

• yam.jpg
      yam.jpg
      File size:
      117.5 KB
      Views:
  13. techmati

techmati Senior Member

race boat 1

Attached Files:

14. techmati

techmati Senior Member

race boat 2

Attached Files:

15. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

YAM is quite nice looking... classic colors on a modern yacht. :)
  16. Ladies choice

Ladies choice New Member

You guys are killing me here! I started sailing at 8, taught it in my 20's and last years hurricane sank my Winga 860 sailboat, one of only 4 or 5 in the US, built in Sweden.

She was a sloop rigged 28.5 foot race-cruiser, lots of wood and room below, twin cabins in a center cockpit design, very unique. I did nearly 5 years of restoration work including have the hull re-gelled in a bright yellow! I had my Saffron Yellow Lotus Elise on order when i did that to Valkyrie Mist and what a pair of toys I was going to enjoy.

Unfortunatly life and hurricanes have a way of distrupting the fun.... She sank at the dock, tied tight all around, but the other sailboats in adjoining slips broke free, between upper damage at the toe rail and i think a bilge pump that just couldnt keep up with the tidal surge she sank. A complete total to insurance and a heartbreaker to me.

I have thought of a Perni Navi instead of a motoryacht, but I just don't see it fitting into the plans I now want in travel and space. I do though hope to put a day sailer on board or even a pair of mini 12's up hanging in the yachts garage, That way I can do some harbor sailing at least.

Who knows maybe I will meet a Perini or any big boat race/cruiser owner who would consider a trade for a few days in the carribean they can follow in the motoryacht in grand luxury and I can take thier sailboat for a spin... At the very least I am hoping to watch some of the bigger yacht races in the world in my travels.

Also I would probably join up a sailing club in the Caribe for leasing a sailboat of some size for the day or weekend as a alternative.
  17. techmati

techmati Senior Member

yeah YAM is excellent - another pic

Attached Files:

• yam2.jpg
      yam2.jpg
      File size:
      85.9 KB
      Views:
  18. techmati

techmati Senior Member

Perini XASTERIA for Ladies choice. sorry to hear about your sloop, that is the worst thing.

Attached Files:

19. techmati

techmati Senior Member

classic one

Attached Files:

• o.jpg
      o.jpg
      File size:
      110.2 KB
      Views:
  20. YachtForums

Perini Navi's 88m Maltese Falcon - (image courtesy of Perini Navi)

Attached Files: