Click for Mulder Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Mag Bay Click for Walker Click for Nordhavn

Bickering Crew... Be GONE!

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by retiredguy, Dec 7, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. retiredguy

retiredguy Member

I hired a couple as crew for three weeks, they made it for one. This was a husband and wife team with great credentials and referrals, both registered captain's. Impressed me at the interview. The problem, constant, never ending bickering back and forth over mostly nothing. "I would have docked differently, I would have gone around the outside of the buoy, I would have done it xyz..."

By the second day I sat them down and told them I didn't want to hear it any more and both agreed to end it. Pffttt, didn't last a half hour. I guess that is just how some couples "communicate" but it was literally giving me a headache. The final straw, one was at the helm, the other giving very unsolicited advice and the one at the helm walked off telling the other "if you can do it better..." and walked away.

I know it was only 30 seconds with no one at the wheel but it was totally unprofessional. When we docked that evening their tenure on my boat was at an end. When I explained why they acted as if they were completely dumbfounded and could not believe I was ending their time on the boat. The saving grace, the quiet has restored my sanity...
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Sad and shows how checking references and interviewing is still not perfect. Were they a long time couple? I wonder if any of it would have come out over a prolonged meal. It may be their behavior is confined to when boating, although that would surprise me.

I would have done what you did and terminated them right then. Best to end it quickly rather than prolong something that can't work. I am not surprised they were dumbfounded as clearly this is their normal way of interacting.
  3. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Ahh, the Bickersons. Truly sounds awful . Leaving the helm ! With your boat? That's plank walking time!