Click for Northern Lights Click for Walker Click for Westport Click for Burger Click for Delta

Best Underwater Lights

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by SRQcaptain, Sep 14, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CrazyCapizzi

CrazyCapizzi New Member

Underwater light info

I stumbled on this thread looking for info on led lights and what are the best ones available for comparison.
    To be honest I am kinda new to this and on a quest to build the best underwater lighting in existence for my boat. I don't have a name or a website I just want input. That being said, don't kick me off because I have nothing to offer, only questions. I want to know what everyone wants.

Would you rather ac 12v or dc120v and why?

Would you rather lower power consumption 50watts, 1.5amp 4500 lumen in a flush built in 2.5" through hull?

Or higher power consumption 100watts, 3.3amp 9000 lumen with a separate waterproof driver to be mounted inside the boat?
    does flush mount really matter or would you rather surface mount with a 1/2" profile with a 3/4" through hull pipe to run the wiring.

how about a low cost 10watt 1200 lumen version of the one above

to answer a previous question about drivers for leds... through my research I found that higher power led chips run off 32v so you need a driver to ether step down the voltage or step up the voltage. and yes leds get very hot quick!

I attached a picture of my 100w 9000 lumen underwater light creation, water was still lit 50' behind the boat in brackish water. The $150 6w 600lumen led underwater light next to it looked like a toy, only lit 1' in brackish water

the pic with 5 lights are the 10watt 1200 lumen lights in thinking of making

Attached Files:

2. CrazyCapizzi

CrazyCapizzi New Member

just to make sure the moderator knows I do not make these to sell. it is for my personal boat.
  3. Ormond Bert54

Ormond Bert54 Senior Member

My boat had SeaVision SV10 150W Halide Lights when I purchased the boat. One of the lenses was broken and the light wasn't working well so I decided to overhaul/replace both.

Brett Crawford at Underwater Lights USA was very helpful. He overhauled the electrics on both of my lights and the housing on one of the lights that included the lens. He also quick turned the work so I had the overhauled parts within a week.

The lights are now like new. These are very high quality lights.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Three months ago I replaced the failed Abyssilites POS with lumitech sea blaze X

Really like them. Not too expensive and much brighter than the old ones. Have three of them on a 19' beam and they put out a good amount of light. They can be switched to blue when you need to artificially tint cruddy inland waters :)
  5. Ormond Bert54

Ormond Bert54 Senior Member

My suggestion is to look at the incredible construction of the SeaVision Underwater lights. The housing seems to be milled from solid brass. The rest is milled construction with some ceramic where the electrics mount. The construction no doubt is good at heat dissipation with a thick strong lens. It's not amateur stuff.
  6. P46-Curaçao

P46-Curaçao Senior Member

Curaçao (CW), Hollywood (FL) and Amsterdam (NL)
    I Agree, have 4 on a 15.9 beam and had 3 on my former boat for 3 years without any problem!
  7. swampyankee

swampyankee New Member

Hello i have a 40 foot pacemaker sport fish and i installed ocean led and love them went with the color green and mounted 3 across the transom.get nothing but compliments on them::)
  8. Robb

Robb New Member

I am purchasing a 70 Viking princess and want to add underwater lights. Want to know estimated cost for shipyard to do it all in back and half way up to front. What is best brand and highest power lights
  9. mike Hartley

mike Hartley Member

we added 4 Ocean Led (RGB) on our 76 ft yacht and so far (a year) they have worked great and love them.