Click for Westport Click for JetForums Click for Abeking Click for Perko Click for Mulder

Bertram 43' Sportfish Repower

Discussion in 'Bertram Yacht' started by tmcgee57, Aug 13, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. RER

RER Senior Member

Very impressive. A worthwhile undertaking with the correct choice of boat and a knowledgeable strategy. Well done.
  2. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Real nice clean look, well done on the repower with impressive results. 30 knots cruise at 78% is "the dream" for the under 50' SF crowd :)
  3. Julianna Rose

Julianna Rose New Member

I am considering purchasing a 43 with the intensions of repowering one day. What is a realistic cruise with the standard 550 HP motors? I need some advice on the best motors to put in and approximate cost to do so. I would like to cruise at least 24 knots.
  4. Jack D

Jack D New Member

I repowered my 95 43 2 years ago and am very happy. Put a couple of Cummings QSM 11s in it. Had 6v92s 550s but they were tired. Maybe 15 knots cruise at 40 gph. Now 24, 26 knots @ 40 gph.
  5. Jack D

Jack D New Member

6. Jack D

Jack D New Member

Just repowered my 95 43 with QSM 11s and very happy. Realistic cruise with the 6v92s is 15 knots @ 40gph. With the Cummings I cruise at 25, 26 knots @ 40 gph. What year is yours?
  7. Julianna Rose

Julianna Rose New Member

I currently have a 37 Bertram. I cruise at 23 knots with 3208 Cats. I would like a larger Bertram but do not want to give up the speed. What horse power are the Cummins QSM 11s?
  8. Jack D

Jack D New Member

68O I believe
  9. Julianna Rose

Julianna Rose New Member

How was the fit? Did you have to make many alterations to the boat?
  10. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Cummins has a Recon program great for repowers:

upload_2019-9-20_12-24-43.png
  11. Julianna Rose

Julianna Rose New Member

Good to know. Thank you.
  12. Julianna Rose

Julianna Rose New Member

What do you think the cost would be to put these Cummins QSM 11's in the boat?
  13. Julianna Rose

Julianna Rose New Member

Anyone have any more repowering advice?
  14. titolugo

titolugo New Member

The best advice would be to find one that have been repowered already. If you want to do it first hand on a 43’ I would seriously consider a pair of Scania inline six rated at whatever power you want depending on your performance goals. Plan to eliminate the factory trim tabs and install a Zipwake system. Change your rudders also to larger high performance. Put a pair of gensets. Were the water tanks are after fabrication of vertical watertanks and modifying the bulkheads. Also add a third diesel tank were the factory genset is for weight distribution. Remember that you will want to fair up the engine room and finish it in awlgrip. When you are in for everything you will be expending above 200k if you do it correctly. Ask me how I know.
  15. Julianna Rose

Julianna Rose New Member

Good morning. Thanks for your advice. Sounds like you have a great boat. Let me know when you are ready to sell!
    You do not think you could just replace the Detroits with QSMs? Leave everything else as is?
  16. etang789

etang789 Member

Good looking Bertram you have there! Especially the tower, is it custom?

First time hearing a Bertram installed a Zipwake system, will look into it.

Im looking into repowering my Bertram 42 https://www.yachtforums.com/threads/bertram-42-detroit-6v-92ta-repower-with-yanmar-or-cummins.28147/, and yes seems like putting the genset towards aft of the engine is a must and one 12kW is too big to be placed there and a pair of smaller ones would work better.
  17. Rerm

Rerm New Member

Wow!, this boat is for sale

She’s a hot rod!!!
    Look at this awesome Bertram 43 Convertible I found on YachtWorld! https://www.**************/boats/1989/bertram-43-convertible-3712957/

What do you all think?
  18. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

For that kind of money I can think of several 10 year old or newer and larger SF I’d rather have with newer everything.
  19. BigChief

BigChief Member

I had looked at repowering a 46 post with DD last spring. Cummins factory reman qsb or Cs don't remember.. including gears. Estimate was about 115 120k.
    Then you have the generator, painting engine room, other things that are easy to get to at the same time and the price goes up................and no you don't get that money back when you go to sell it...its not a house.. ...so make sure you love the boat and plan to hold onto it for 10 yrs otherwise its a huge financial loss.

I passed on that project and found one that had been repowered, painted, new gen and ac etc..... for a great price and way less than the cost of what the previous owner dumped into it.
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
  20. alanlau

alanlau New Member