Click for YF Listing Service Click for Walker Click for Burger Click for Cross Click for Delta

Beneteau Swift Trawler Owners?

Discussion in 'General Trawler Discussion' started by rclarke246, Aug 20, 2013.

1. PaulWynn

PaulWynn New Member

The boat is back in the water now. Overall the cost was about £8k. The job involved removing the sofa and downstairs helm seat and cutting a hole in the floor then taking out all water tanks and pumps before removing and replacing both fuel tanks. The cause was lack of weld material at a small spot on the seam so it was covered under my latent defect clause. Nevertheless I took the opportunity to upgrade to SS tanks. Just brought her back over the Channel and I still love her. See photo

Attached Files:

2. Skip V

Skip V New Member

Paul, Wow, that was a major job and a pain to deal with. Thanks for sharing, so far I have not had any tank issues on my 2011 ST34.

I am into my 3rd year of ownership and boat has 1570 hours. I plan to actively replace the Cummins water pump with a Seaboard Marine upgraded pump in the spring of 2020. Current OEM Cummins water pump "squeaks" but no leaks or seepage, I will keep it as an onboard spare.

Rub rail is fading. Has anyone replaced their original rubber rub rail? Mine has faded to a dinghy tan color (UV rays). I have scrubbed and sanded it which helps for 3-4 months but clearly the Sun is taking its toll. I am thinking of replacing it with new rubber AND a SS inlay strip (like the one on the swim platform) which should look sharp. I am guessing it will be a $2-3000 job at a local boatyard.

Happy New Year for 2020.
    Skip
  3. rbradbury

rbradbury New Member

I have a 2013 ST44 with 900 hours and have an overheat problem on both engines beginning at 3000 rpm. Temp jumps from 185 to 196. I had her hauled to clear intakes, checked impellers, and ran barnacle buster through both. Raw water strainers are clear. Any thoughts appreciated.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Risers.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

You need to have all of the heat exchanges removed and professionally cleaned........
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Possible, but that same symptom on both engines at same time tells me risers and manifolds. Add in 7 year old boat with 900 hours, if it's a northern boat it's a little overdue (Florida boat it's long overdue and would suspect this is the 2nd time).
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It's diesel. Rarely have to clean manifolds or risers on diesels, manifolds are fresh water (coolant) cooled. Probably the coolant side of the heat exchanger is plugged. I've seen that several times. Intakes are clear, strainers are clean, hauled so bottom should be clean, checked impellors, so what does that leave. They hold temperature below 3000 rpms........and both motors the same.
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Like I said, possible.
  9. Alex Italy

Alex Italy New Member

I'm pretty sure that the problem is the heat exchangers.
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

My inclination is the risers because it's both motors, but yes it may well be the heat exchangers.
  11. Swiftsugar

Swiftsugar New Member

Has anyone had to replace rudder bearing on a ST? I have a considerable vibration and there’s visible movement at the top of the stb rudder post. I checked in the water to be sure nothing was hung up on the prop or rudder. Rudder has a fair amount of play where it enters the hull. Clearly I need to haul the boat and fix it, but wondering what are my chances of finding a replacement part for my 05 ST42.
  12. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

Find a Beneteau power dealer that has a service department. I get parts for my 2009 Bene sailboat from a Seattle sailboat dealer. You issue may be standard rudder bearings so my not need a Beneteau specific part.
  13. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Indeed I doubt these are beneteau parts, they must have used off the shelf parts. Take some detailed pictures a post to ID the hardware
  14. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

If it is bearings, there is probably data on the bearing race, if you can see it.
  15. Hnbransch

Hnbransch New Member

New post for BST owners, rather than a reply.

For sale NEW 2x ZF 24" x 25 pitch props, 50mm shaft dia with 10:1 euro pitch. apparently these were for a BST 44.

I bought these for my trawler, and completely missed the pitch (vs 16:1 morse std). Machining and sleeving is an option, but figure oem application is ideal home for these.

Pix available.

Asking $2,500 or BO. H