Click for Mulder Click for Northern Lights Click for Walker Click for Abeking Click for Perko

Batteries and New Battery Technologies

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by brian eiland, Mar 28, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Opcn

Opcn Senior Member

I think you underestimate the back flow of technology from swords to plowshares. Are you familiar with the concept of evolutionary psychology? I've got to go do some work right now, but later tonight I'll put up a post about this in the 'Yacht Club' section of the forum
  2. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

I've heard that bull__ for years. Yes, there is some filter down, but imagine if the full expenditure of brain power and money went directly towards the problem.

I'm glad we didn't depend on the filter down theme for our moon program
  3. Highlander

Highlander New Member

Hybrid Boats

Brian, I don't want to be percieved as negative about batteries,but...

The thing that makes hybrid battery power work so well in a car is the load profile.
    The load varies a huge amount from city -light to light traffic compared to full acceleration onto the highway. The gas engine is terrific at high output and electric motors are equally good at low power output.

Using electric power in a boat for harbor use sounds good but will never make economic sense unless ultracapacitors become cheap and easy to get.
    For longer range use or higher speeds----the container is too heavy (batteries).

This post is not really about that. I am thinking about a hybrid boat that does not use electric drive at all. Just like a car the energy required to move a boat depends on the mass and the speed. the idea is to build a boat that is very light for short range trips ,less than 200 nm at semi displacement speed.
    Then for longer hops, add more fuel ,water and food and travel at displacement speed with good economy. A new type of hybrid.
    The Nigel Irens Rangeboat got me thinking about it. A pretty boat but I don't know if the loading range is there.

I am just thinking that electric propulsion is something that we all want in theory but it's like fitting the square peg in a round hole. Sorry.

Carl
  4. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

"Seakeeper" http://www.seakeeper.com/
  5. brian eiland

ARC Lite batteries

In the recent Apr/May issue of Professional Boatbuilder there was an article entitled, The Real McCoy, and dealing with the development of a Hybrid Diesel-Electric Charter Vessel.

Hybrid Diesel Electric art ProBoat
    http://www.proboat-digital.com/proboat/e20090405/
    (go to the index and click on Real McCoy article)

In that article there was a subsection dealing with the development of what they are calling ARC Lite batteries. (page42).
    Interesting development

(I'm not that impressed with the rest of the vessel as a whole, but it sure shows a quest for experimentation and developments from the 'little independent guys')
  6. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Yet another example of dreamware. All that cost and inefficiency just to be able to park the boat quietly?

Jet drives? The least efficient means to move that boat at the speeds it is capable of operating, powered by a series of energy wasting devices that will probably decompose through corrosion long before providing any measurable return on the investment other than being able to avoid shouting at the linehandlers.

Shore power recharging? How many kW can be replaced in how long while still powering the hotel load? Just to save $.05 kWH that will be consumed in an hour or so at most later on? The interest on the money invested in control wiring alone will be more than any savings.

This stuff is interesting for its geek value but trying to sell it as a viable alternative to conventional propulsion is akin to claiming the lunar rover made the SUV a reality.
  7. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

ROFLMAO! :D
  8. Opcn

Opcn Senior Member

Marmot, did we read the same article? Did you even read the article? It seems like if you did you made a few very irrational assumptions (Like battery pack size) and that any person working on such a system would use a more rational approach. For an explaination of how a hybrid system can save money take a look at my last reply to you over in the 2015 thread. In this case he is working on a motor sailer, which will derive power from a water turbine, and the water jets were used not to dock quietly, or to push the boat efficiently, but to reduce drag when not in use, which is the majority of the time on these vessels, which is where the efficiency comes in. You have to take the whole use of the product into account, not just the worst possible use you can imagine.
  9. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Oh, never thought of that, use inefficient propulsors in order to reduce drag when they aren't being used ... brilliant! :rolleyes:
  10. Opcn

Opcn Senior Member

Imagine if you can a motor-sloop, no two motor-sloops. One who's owner never raises the sail and always uses the prop, but just likes the image of a motor-sloop; the other who's owner never turns on the engine, always goes everywhere under wind power, but likes knowing that he has a plan B.

Now the first owner would be a **** fool to have anything less than the most efficient prop system on his boat, the second owner would benefit from a system that was 25% less efficient when running but only had 25% as much drag when it wasn't running, because well for the entire life of the boat that would be a 75% reduction in drag off of this one component.

Now these are the two extremes, and I don't actually know what kind of changes in drag and thrust per KW he is seeing off of this equipment, or what percentage of the time things will be run one way or the other. However neither do you (you can probably come up with a better estimate than I can on the thrust/drag issue). This guy ran a motor sailer charter business, he has the boats, he has the systems, he has the literature on the efficiency of the systems and he has the experience to know what percentage of the time the boats will run under power versus what percentage of the time they will run on the wind.

Do you think its possible that this guy with all of the information about his particular situation made a choice that he knew was counterintuitive and made the right choice, despite it being distasteful to you, the uninformed bystander?

This guy probably wont see any benefit from this, the first guy to switch from steam to diesel probably didn't make much money off of it, the peanut gallery probably laughed at him and told him how steam would always be king and how diesel was just a waste of energy that would never pay for itself, but you run a diesel ship today. Early adopters tend to get the shaft, but they are responsible for most of the advances we enjoy today.
  11. brian eiland

Dream-ware Projects

I'll have to agree with you on this one Marmot.

I did spend a little more time writing a letter in reply to the author and the builder which I'll post soon on another subject thread. I addressed a number of the proposed systems each, and together. I just got it out via email to ProBoat this morning.

You know sometimes I wonder about these San Diego guys and how they are able to get this funding for some of these boat projects that seem a little too dream-like. I remember feeling this same way about the 'M ship' project...where do they get the money for these projects, and who does the vetting. I guess it's those politicians out there that seem to have close ties to the defense dept....one of them is in jail now I believe

( here is a link to the M-ship shaped hull on this forum...I couldn't find it at first)

In defensive of the Hybrid Vessel project, I will add that I believe the new funding he secured came as a result of the battery technology and not the vessel itself
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  12. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

That M Ship thing is actually pretty amazing. I had a project at K&C in San Diego last year and while I was there they were zipping around in the demonstrator, it really works.
  13. brian eiland

Shades of Boston Whaler

Sure it works in the waters of San Diego...a pond in the theme of things.

I challenge you to take it into really rough conditions with a real load onboard.

I think many people have experienced a Boston Whaler before, and I don't know many of them that feel that going faster in that boat improves its capabilities to handle rough water.

Or maybe the old cathedral hull runabouts could serve as a prototype?
  14. brian eiland

Altairnano Launches New Energy Website

Altairnano, a leader in advanced energy storage systems for clean, efficient power and energy management, recently launched a significantly enhanced website focusing on its core technology solutions and strategic initiatives.

As a leader in advanced energy storage systems for clean, efficient power and energy management, Altairnano’s suite of advanced lithium-ion energy storage systems is helping solve today’s toughest power and energy challenges. From helping create a more reliable, resilient, and efficient electricity grid, to accelerating the adoption of renewable generation and alternative fuel vehicles, Altairnano combines science and innovation with market-ready solutions to achieve sustainable, and economically sensible, power and energy management practices.

Our unique, innovative approach starts at the electro-chemical level. Altairnano is the first company to replace traditional graphite materials used in conventional lithium-ion batteries with a proprietary, nano-structured lithium titanate – a process that delivers distinctive performance attributes, including power, fast charge/discharge rates, high round-trip efficiencies, long cycle life, safety, and ability to operate under extreme temperatures.

This science is the fundamental building block applied to every advanced energy storage system and battery we build today.

The company's advanced lithium-ion energy storage systems can help solve today's toughest power and energy challenges, including a more reliable, resilient, and efficient electricity grid. The new website features overviews and additional information for the company's five core solutions: Smart Grid, renewable integration, remote UPS, military and transportation.
    Go to Solutions
  15. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

I would love to hear your views on marine steam propulsion and its demise.
  16. Opcn

Opcn Senior Member

You missed the point.
  17. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Perhaps, but since we are off-topic (again), why don´t you make a Google search on: nuclear steam propulsion
  18. Highlander

Highlander New Member

Batteries!

In a more practical line of thought and more likely to become reality-
    Will new batterys allow me to replace the ones I have now and keep the same capacity with say 1/2 the weight? That would save some fuel.
  19. brian eiland

Thanks for getting us back on topic there Highlander.

Yes, lighter and more capacity to store energy; I believe that is the goal of a great number of companies world wide working on these problems now. The auto market is an enticing one, and that blip to higher fuel prices excited the cusomers looking for alternative solutions. Those high fuel prices will return soon, and demand for an electric car will as well. Lets hope someone can meet that demand soon.

The boat market is small and will exist as a bystander.
  20. brian eiland

Work at MIT's Laboratory, Supercapacitors & Nanotechology

April 2007

Work at MIT's Laboratory for Electromagnetic and Electronic Systems (LEES) on increasing the storage capacity of ultracapacitors may be demonstrated in the next few months, Prof. Joel E. Schindall told Le Figaro newspaper on 13 April.

Capacitors store energy as an electrical field, making them more efficient than standard batteries, which get their energy from chemical reactions. Ultracapacitors are capacitor-based storage cells that provide quick, massive bursts of instant energy. They are sometimes used in fuel-cell vehicles to provide an extra burst for accelerating into traffic and climbing hills, but need to be much larger than batteries to hold the same charge.

The LEES invention would increase the storage capacity of existing commercial ultracapacitors by storing electrical fields at the atomic level. Although ultracapacitors have been around since the 1960s, they are relatively expensive and only recently began being manufactured in sufficient quantities to become cost-competitive.

To date, despite their inherent advantages -- a 10-year-plus lifetime, indifference to temperature change, high immunity to shock and vibration and high charging and discharging efficiency -- physical constraints on electrode surface area and spacing have limited ultracapacitors to an energy storage capacity around 25 times less than a similarly sized lithium-ion battery.

The LEES ultracapacitor has the capacity to overcome this energy limitation by using vertically aligned, single-wall carbon nanotubes -- one thirty-thousandth the diameter of a human hair and 100,000 times as long as they are wide. It would reportedly permit ultracapacitors to give a car a 160 km range on electric power, and reduce energy storage units by two thirds in weight and 75% in size by comparison with existing nickel-metal hydride units as used by Toyota’s Prius.

MIT’s work on this project, first announced in late 2005, has been funded in part by the MIT/Industry Consortium on Advanced Automottive Electrical/Electronic Components and Systems and in part by a grant from the Ford-MIT Alliance.

this document is a little dated, but it points us in one direction I find quite exciting