Click for Abeking Privacy Matters Click for Burger Click for Delta Click for Westport

Anyone own any Exotic cars?

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by zeeshan66, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Ok, the Plus 4 and Plus 6 are definitely more acceptably mainstream, just retro-styled... but guys, the Morgan 3-wheeler dates back to 1908! Henry Morgan's first road-going project was a homebuilt 3-wheeler, which eventually formed the basis for his company 2 years later. They didn't even produce 4 wheeled cars until the mid 1930s. It was just v-twin motorcycle engines powering little runabouts up and down the length of Britain.

Morgan_Super_Sports_1937.jpg
    (1937 Super Sport)

The Super 3 is paying homage to the foundation of the company. Plus, it looks to me like an interwar fighter-plane on wheels.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

From the states, I didn't know this.
    V - Twin up front and pipes down the sides.
    Now, That is cool.

Confused,,, pipes going up to a radiator? Water cooled??

So, Trunks up forward and in da rear? With a luggage rack still used??
    Mother-in-law luggage?
  3. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

This looks like a CanAm Slingshot to me

[​IMG]
  4. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Looks like coolant sleeves around the cylinders, but unusual to place
    the engine in Front of the radiator..Them Brits, I am telling you..:eek:
  5. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Except the Morgan has class.
    Capt Ralph and d_meister like this.
  6. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

The pictured 1937 car used to belong to a workmate of mine, so I have been a passenger in it a couple of times. He liked to take us through a roundabout in pretty high speed, to demonstrate that it would not tip over. But it was near...
  7. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

If You guys are fond of 3-wheelers, how about one of those, the Goliath GD 750. 13 to 16 HP and a useful load of 750 kg. And it's CW value is better than with the Morgan anyhow.

goliath.jpg

Very reliable 2-stroke engine, lasts forever :). We had a few of those in our logistic branch in the fifties of the last century. As a young kid, I called it the Töf-Töf, because of its engine sound.
    Kevin and gr8trn like this.
  8. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Now I'm not too sure about that one... any time I see a three-wheeler with the solo wheel at the front end I can't help but remember the Top Gear segment on the Robin Reliant. o_O
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Been a while since I laughed this much.
    Thx Kevin..
  10. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

But an Citroen Ami 6 with a Mercedes front grill is a sacrilege, period. If You concider a single wheel in the front to be dangerous, how about one of those. Believe it or not it's a BMW. Not really a 3-wheeler, as it has twin wheels at the rear but without a differential gear.

bmw-isetta-1.jpeg

bmw-isetta-2.jpeg

By it's certification it had to have a soft top. In case of a front crash, the soft top was the only way to escape from this "car". We had a teacher in school, who had one of those. The guys from the higher classes used to turn his car across in the parking lot between two other cars. In that position, the teacher had to wait until the car in front of his front door drove away in order to get access to his car.

Later I had a class mate owning one or those. As he was 6 and a half foot tall and having a uge afro look hair style, he had to drive always with an open roof. Funny looking car but not unsafe at all. People drove from northern Germany to Italy with it for vacation with three persons plus luggage and camping gear.

- Necessity is the mother of invention -
  11. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

But my all time favorite 3-wheeler from my childhood is the Messerschmitt Kabinenroller (Cabin scooter). As Messerschmitt was not allowed to build airplanes directly after WWII, they started to build "cars".

Messerschmitt_Kabinenroller_01.jpg

Messerschmitt_KR200_02.jpg

Messerschmitt_KR_200,_Bj._1955_Cockpit_03.JPG

Messerschmitt_KR200_04.jpg

Later they build a 4-wheeler with tandem wheels in the rear and a bigger engine, called the Tiger. There was a pretty large tuning community in Europe and the Tiger was even used for racing. As I said, the dream of my childhoud. I must have dreamed already of aircraft cockpits :p.
    gr8trn likes this.
  12. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

that s not an Ami 6, that’s a Dyane which was a “modernized” version of the 2CV
  13. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

Thank's Pascal for helping me out. The low end French cars were never really on my radar. But honestly putting a Mercedes front grill on a "tuned version" of a deux chevaux is even worse. I was just joking :). But this Citroen was definately on my radar.

DS 21 Pallas.jpg

The Citroen DS 21 Pallas, called la déesse, the goddess.
  14. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

The DS was an amazing car. Extremely comfortable ride, the DS 23 Pallas was the top of the line with a bigger engine.

since we re on the subject of quirky French car, how about the SM. All hydraulic like the DS but with a Maserati engine and a very unusual coupe body.
  15. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

The Citroen SM was really a rare car. I do not believe, I have seen many of them outside France. Only really frankophil minds would buy one of those.

Citroen SM.jpg
  16. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

While the DS may be more "iconic", I personally would take an SM if ever I felt compelled to own a French car.
  17. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

There are few SMs here that pop up on Bring a Trailer now and then. They ve been going up in value.

one of my favorite French car is the late 70s Peugeot 504 Coupe V6… gorgeous Pininfarina design although a bit low on power and handling
  18. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

The Peugeot 404 was the highest quality French car sold in Germany during my younger years. This car felt so solid and of high quality. Almost like a Mercedes :).

peugeot-404.jpg

Today a classic car.
  19. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

I must admit the only 3 wheelers I have operated have been these:
    Neither one was much good at turning at a high rate of speed, on the ground anyway, inherently unstable comes to mind, followed by a ground-loop.:confused:

IMG_6512.jpeg
    IMG_6513.jpeg

Two wheels, for me, or 4..
  20. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

I knew the 504s quite well, drove them as taxi cabs in Norway in the late 70s.
    (Among other European cars, including the Flagship 604.)

IMG_6514.jpeg