Click for Mulder Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for Delta Click for YF Listing Service

Age barriers??

Discussion in 'Yacht Crews' started by Argonaught, Jan 4, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Good quals Danny. I think I'd push the chef end then seal the deal with DH and massage...oh and you can fix things. Don't think the age will factor in much. You're selling experience. Good luck.
  2. DocRon

DocRon Member

3. DocRon

DocRon Member

Experience vs qualifications

In terms of experience vs qualifications.....

I remember when I was doing my PADI Instructor course 16 yrs ago in Ft Lauderdale.... I had the minimum required dives to do the course at that stage.....
    One day we were going out for a dive and the course director turned the boat around and headed back to port. I asked if there was a problem with the boat and he said "NO, it is too rough for diving!" I looked around and could see a few ripples (in SA standards) and told him that we were Instructor level candidates and that everyone should at least be capable of diving in these conditions. I grew up diving on Aliwal Shoal and we launch through surf and waves sometimes 8ft plus.When I told him that I had dived in much worse conditions at beginner level and I would be teaching in much worse conditions that were present he thought I was nuts!! Believe me, I am very safety conscious individual and I have lived by the ocean all my life and was a professional lifeguard at one of the most dangerous public beaches around...Amanzimtoti! Yes and I have turned boats around when I thought it was unsafe for the people who I was diving with!!!.... We had guys on course whose log books at time looked impressive with 1000's of logged dives.....however 95% of those dives were inland and the guys simply could not handle the "rough" sea conditions.

In yachting it is much the same. Some people have lots of logged miles but never been beyond coastal waters. We need to assess each individual when placing them and look at the experience according to the conditions they will be working in. However some people just seem to have a natural ability and thet are deserved a chance as well.

In terms of age vs experience.... how is one meant to get experience without growing older?

So next time you are looking for crew I believe that age, experience and qualifications all come into play. I believe I have a bit of each!!!
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

DocRon says: "We need to assess each individual when placing them and look at the experience according to the conditions they will be working in."
    That statement is covered with a look at your license. 25 ton, 100, unlimited, inland, near coastal, open ocean, issue #, endorsements, etc. Then there are references. Granted some people just ask if you have a license or stop at your age (foolish), but that's why we make multiple copies of our resume.
    At 41 it may be necessary to make your own breaks, but at 41 you have the experience to do it.
  5. DocRon

DocRon Member

Granted I could go home to South Africa and start up a chiropractic practice and do some dive instruction in between for extra cash. However, South Africa has become one of the most violent countries in the world and the Rand is worth nothing. Currently trading at +-R10 to $1 and R18 to 1GBP and R12 to 1 Euro. I would rather be a deckhand on a yacht at 41 and prove myself that way than be a slave in my own country.

The only way I can earn some money that is worth something on international markets is working on a foreign flag vessel as I do not have residency in any other country other than SA. I guess I could marry and get a work permit, something I am considering deeply. Just need to find the right girl!!
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

"I guess I could marry and get a work permit, something I am considering deeply. Just need to find the right girl!!"

Good luck with that. Just remember that the woman you divorce bears no resemblance to the girl you marry. You think you have troubles now? Add a ticked off mother in law to the mix or child support or alimony.
  7. DocRon

DocRon Member

8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I use a delivery mate that is just under 60 years old on a regular basis. He is my first choice actually. He also has a 100ton master as well. But, I have no issues with him like I do with 30 year old mates. He's a go getter, he is responsible, does a job the right way, takes the initiative and many other good things. I have 30 year old mates, where you have to ask them to do every single thing and explain to them how to do it. For example, they'll trip over the garbage bag 5 times, yet won't take it out unless you ask them. The water tank has to be filled each night, yet they won't just do it, you have to ask them to do it. He just automatically does everything.
  9. DocRon

DocRon Member

I know the drill. I worked on a private island where the manager was an ex yacht captain. He often complemented me on how I use my initiative and just get things done. Some of the people I worked with could not see simple things like hoses that are not coiled neatly and garbage lying around....

Have a great day!