Click for Mulder Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for Furuno Click for Glendinning

Adventures in boat shopping

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by RossC, Jun 20, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. RossC

RossC Member

So might be back on with United Marine Underwriters. I sent an email questioning the denial based on the performance of the vessel....for a vessel that can't break 30kts. Got a response saying that the email was sent in error and the survey has been submitted for approval. Also got a hard approval from BoatUS/Geico, but United is less money.
  2. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Gowrie Group may be able to find you additional choices.

-Chris
  3. RossC

RossC Member

Insurance approved through United Marine Underwriters. Survey noted possible delamination in the stbd exhaust elbow and the insurance company has their panties in a bunch over it. They want me to replace it along with a half dozen other small issues like rusty hose clamps and fire extinguisher inspections. No idea where to go for the exhaust elbow. I guess any fire extinguisher guy can inspect and tag the automatic extinguisher in the engine room. Probably cheaper to just replace the 2 or 3 portable ones.
    LM Viking likes this.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Well rusty hose clamps may sound like details until they fail. Especially the cheap open band clamps and even more so if on some critical system like shaft seals

same with the ER fixed fire system…. Getting it checked and certified every year isn’t expensive. If it’s been more than 5 years the bottle will need to be hydro tested.

where is that exhaust elbow? Fiberglass? It it attached to the hull or is it between sections of hoses ?
  5. RossC

RossC Member

I know the hose clamps need replacing but it's a nickel and dime item. The plan is to have to fixed bottle dealt with in FL if I can schedule it in a few days we will be there before heading North. The elbow is near the engine. The raw water injects into the downstream low point in the elbow. There are shops that make them...or sell them. Just can't find one.
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Where is the boat, FTL?

Try these guys, they are probably the best when it comes to exhausts. If they can’t get it they can probably recommend someone

https://deangelomarine.com/
    Capt Ralph likes this.
  7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I ve PMd you the phone number for A&E Marine Exhaust. They just built new mixing cans and resealed the exhaust on the 110 I run. Did a good job.
  8. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

x2 for Deangelo. Also, did you try Sea Ray? Might be a shelf item for them depending on how many model boats they used the same elbow for.

Change as many of those hose clamps as you can before you make your long trip home. I've had more than one clamp break on me and create difficult situations in the past. I'm not a fan of the typical worm drive clamp as the bands are very weak from the the stamped holes. I prefer the Constant Torque clamps or the T-bolt style but you have to make sure to get the right size as they don't have a lot of adjustment range. And, of course, they are more expensive but I've never had one of these fail as long as they are good quality 316 stainless.
  9. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

that’s why i mentioned the worm drive solid band clamps. Much more rust resistant taht holed clamps

T clamps are great for exhaust and large hoses but not for anythjng under 1 1/5 to 2”
  10. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

T clamps are great for exhaust and large hoses but not for anythjng under 1 1/5 to 2”[/QUOTE]

Curious why you feel they are not for anything smaller?
  11. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I have never seen small ones used on smaller hoses or never seen them at any chandlery. And again the solid bank worm screws are probably just as good
  12. RossC

RossC Member

I have a fire company going on the boat tomorrow to inspect and tag the fire extinguishers. Signaling gear is all expired so will just purchase new. When I get to the boat I will inventory what she needs for hose clamps, find them locally and replace. That should take care of the insurance company's compliance list other than the exhaust elbow. Seems that most people are just repairing them vs replacing with new.
  13. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Check the running lights too. Usually if the flares are expired, the fire system not checked… the running lights will be dead as well :)
  14. RossC

RossC Member

Surveyor marked them as operational, but ill check anyway. Good idea.
    gr8trn likes this.
  15. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

Lights, horn or sounding device, windlass (have a winch handle handy if you need to drop and the fuse is blown so you can open the clutch). Besides the mains and transmission these are a few of my every trip check items.